JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting article. Of course right at the top I found another instance of AP's lousy fact checking and lack of editorial control.
It's a darn magazine not a clip!!!!!!

(I read another story this weekend where they said "Seattle-based Boeing", even though Boeing has moved it's headquarters to Chicago years ago, and they have no operations in Seattle (only in Everett and Renton).

it is an interesting, and involves more than just med mary jane (nobody ever called it that)....

Anyway. Those who take pain meds on a long term basis also have issues with this law. You can legally become addicted to pain meds and be in fear of losing you 2A rights....

I have been following this issue for a while. There are a few cases here in Washington that have been in favor of the patient as well.

I have no need for Medical MJ, however my significant other has been advised that it might be the best course of action for her. Has had adverse side effects to conventional medications. My question and what I am interested in is if this route was taken, would I need to remove all weapons from the home. She has no interest in and is frankly scared of guns. So they are out of sight and out of possible control anyway. But since having NFA items and lets just say more than average inventory, I am leaning toward creating or renting secure storage off property so the only thing at home is my Daily carry.

The Medical MJ issue affects much more than just the user. I think alot of people are in the same boat as I could be in someday. But I never hear of anyone speaking up about it. Court cases so far seem to just be about the patient and their rights.

It's a touchy subject, given the Federal illegality of marijuana. But like 1I Ross says, you can follow your doctor's advice, end up addicted, and get crosswise with the CHL rules.
I don't care much for blanket prohibitions, and I think a real patient should be able to talk to a real person and state his/her case. I'm frankly less concerned about generic potheads than the millions of people legally mixing Vicodin, Xanax, and Red Bull.

Oregon sheriffs are not happy about the state's medical marijuana law.

"The whole medical marijuana issue is a concern to sheriffs across the country who are involved in it mainly because there is so much potential for abuse or for misuse and as a cover for organized criminal activity," said Washington County Sheriff Rob Gordon, who became part of the Willis case because his office turned down three medical marijuana patients in the Portland suburbs for concealed handgun permits. "You can't argue that people aren't misusing that statute in Oregon.

Now you see that is where the Police fail big time, it is up to the Police to enforce the law and only the law, it is not up to the Police to decide if the law has merit or if a law is needed.

(I read another story this weekend where they said "Seattle-based Boeing", even though Boeing has moved it's headquarters to Chicago years ago, and they have no operations in Seattle (only in Everett and Renton).

They were wrong, you are correct the HQ is in Chicago. BUT- I do believe E Marginal Way has multiple Boeing operations in Seattle. :s0155:

I have no need for Medical MJ, however my significant other has been advised that it might be the best course of action for her.

Think G Gordon Liddy. He is a felon, his Wife is a gun collector. ;)

I think for G Gordon and others, it boils down to "control" of the weapon, as has been discussed on other threads. Constructive control of a weapon is a no-no, just being in the room usually not....unless they want you real bad and are just adding charges on to make sure something sticks.

I live in Jackson county and have followed Mike Winters (our sheriff) and his lawsuit with interest. He doesn't seem to like the idea that Oregon is a "shall issue" state, and wishes to impose his interpretation of the law on CCW applicants.

The Oregon Supreme court has heard the arguments last month. Can't wait to hear their decision.

I got my CHL when I had my medical marry card back a few years ago. no probs... I had lymphoma, was going through chemo/radiation at the time so I think they let it slide. I even had a fresh possesion charge for marry but they dropped it because I was so sick, I got the card while waiting for my court date. Been pulled over with guns and marry in the car twice when I had the card and was let go with no probs, once in Linn, once in Polk. And had more than 8 guns on me both times... I don't smoke anymore as I have been in remission for some time and don't need to obviously but I gotta say at the time it really helped alot.
I remember holding up the hunting trips because I had to go in for chemo before we took off, pulling over to puke black crap every 20 miles or so on the way...ah the good ole days. I treated it like I had a cold and it went away like a cold...maybe thats the trick ;)

I personally don't feel that one right should disqualify you from another right. I'm trying to think of an instance where one legal right disqualifies you from another right and the only thing I can think of is drinking and driving.

I personally don't feel that one right should disqualify you from another right. I'm trying to think of an instance where one legal right disqualifies you from another right and the only thing I can think of is drinking and driving.

But, but, according to our state and others, "driving" is not a "right," it's a privilege....

Last I checked both Oregon and Washington Supreme Courts both upheld the medical rights of a legal patient that isnt a felon to have a CCW/CHL.
Medical Marijuana and CCW in Oregon - GunRightsMedia

Has a few links for Oregon. News link here <broken link removed>

So far its a prescription drug and this is more of an issue between a patient and a doctor not a LEO vs law abiding citizen. Most people LEO included are not aware of how to interpret the new (ten years ago) law.

However a drug dealer that is a felon is going to be prosecuted. Same penalties apply for criminals.

However with the depression and the lack of employment, crime especially violent crime is up towards a 150,000-300,000% increase in late years by the portland police own statistics.

Having sick patients with a valuable (weed/plant) medicine that they can produce in their own homes is a setup for criminals to rob, burglar, and invasions. Most of them violent. The past 7 years have shown many targeted are physically unable to fight back. Most cases are repeat offenses where the criminal returned over and over.

Funny thing is alot of retiring Law Enforcement officers that were front line through the drug war are now entering later stages of life and signing up for medical marijuana after cancer diagnosis and other doctor recommended ailments.

Why should a otherwise law abiding person be denied your 2nd amendment right?....

Many of our soldiers coming back from iraq and the 'stan get their cards for PTSD. Should their service also take thier rights to carry?... Seems every turn your being classified as a criminal. No matter if you served or didnt. Hippy or wall street.

Also included is the rights of a medical marijuana patient being discriminated in employment and housing....

Seems a bit far but at least OR and WA both so far upheld your CCW/CHL rights if your a medical marijuana patient.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top