JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Below are a couple corrections you might consider, I am a high school drop out so I might be wrong in both cases:)

You did a great job on this. If it does get on the ballot, a much greater amount of work will be necessary to convince a majority to defeat it in November.

We could do the same for $50 Billion, about what we have spent on Ukraine and much less than we spent on energy subsidies.

It is the police job to protect us!
Should police be "police's" or "It is the job of the police to protect us."

Walk up and ask them about their measure. Listen to their BS for 5 minutes or so and ask lots of questions then politely decline to sign. Meanwhile be thinking of the time they just wasted on you when they could have been getting 2 or 3 easy signatures. Rinse and repeat.

Saying the quiet part out loud.

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — When Raevahnna Richardson spotted a woman standing outside a library in Salem, Oregon, gathering signatures for a gun-safety initiative, she made a beeline to her and added her name.

"I signed it to keep our kids safe, because something needs to change. I have a kid that's going to be in first grade this upcoming season, and I don't want her to have to be scared at school," Richardson said.

"To keep our kids safe." It's something that so many parents across the United States are worried about after the horrific massacre of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas. That mass shooting has given the Oregon ballot initiative huge momentum, with the number of volunteers doubling to 1,200 and signatures increasing exponentially, organizers said.

When Raevahnna Richardson spotted a woman standing outside a library in Salem, Oregon, gathering signatures for a gun-safety initiative, she made a beeline to her and added her name.
Stupid is as Stupid does!:(

Really have no idea the concept of what a criminal is! (They don't care about your laws so, your child is no safer!)

They will be gearing up IP 18 for the next session according to their website, but are focusing on IP 17 to get on the ballot this time around.
It's weird that they don't collect sigs for both? I wonder if that means people don't want to be bothered with signing two petitions at once or if they feel signers don't support IP18 but do support IP17. I would like to know what made them decide to go that route?

Below are a couple corrections you might consider, I am a high school drop out so I might be wrong in both cases:)

You did a great job on this. If it does get on the ballot, a much greater amount of work will be necessary to convince a majority to defeat it in November.

We could do the same for $50 Billion, about what we have spent on Ukraine and much less than we spent on energy subsidies.

It is the police job to protect us!
Should police be "police's" or "It is the job of the police to protect us."
Thanks.

Saying the quiet part out loud.

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — When Raevahnna Richardson spotted a woman standing outside a library in Salem, Oregon, gathering signatures for a gun-safety initiative, she made a beeline to her and added her name.

"I signed it to keep our kids safe, because something needs to change. I have a kid that's going to be in first grade this upcoming season, and I don't want her to have to be scared at school," Richardson said.

"To keep our kids safe." It's something that so many parents across the United States are worried about after the horrific massacre of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas. That mass shooting has given the Oregon ballot initiative huge momentum, with the number of volunteers doubling to 1,200 and signatures increasing exponentially, organizers said.
I guess criminals and the mentally ill will suddenly and magically become law abiding with the passage of IP17.

People who have no concept, no thought process and no knowledge shouldn't be allowed to affix their signature or support to anything. Their ignorance will lose us even more of our rights.

It's weird that they don't collect sigs for both? I wonder if that means people don't want to be bothered with signing two petitions at once or if they feel signers don't support IP18 but do support IP17. I would like to know what made them decide to go that route?
It's my understanding ( Which is questionable at times) that their signature gatherings can only gather ONE signature for ONE initiative, none of this "Here, sign this one and this one too! So, to maximize how many preds on the streets to gather signatures, they slipped I.P. 18 until later when they think the State can take it up in session! Or, they can go out and start the process again later with 18 following what they do with 17!

UPDATE:

Again, Friday, July 8 is the due date to turn in signatures to the Secretary of State's office in Salem -- just under a month from now. This weekend we are approaching 60,000 signatures, which is over halfway to our goal of valid signatures, and with all of the March for Our Lives events all over the state, along with all of the parades and county gatherings this weekend, the numbers we share next Tuesday and Wednesday should be inspiring. As you all know, we have set a higher goal for ourselves: 140,000 signatures. With a record 1,200 volunteers spread throughout every county in Oregon, we can, we will, and we must do this for the children and families of Uvalde, Buffalo, Oregon and the nation.

Coming out of horrific mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde and so many other places in May, we enter June as partners in Lift Every Voice Oregon with an all out push to our July 8 finish line to get IP 17 on the ballot for the November 8 General Election. This will tee up IP 18 for the beginning of the Legislative Session early in 2023, with a bill that will carry out the goals of IP 18. We are committed-- with no hesitation-- to push all the way and make this happen. The Oregonian Editorial Board's support last Sunday was powerful, and new endorsements and support are coming from all counties in the state, with hundreds of new volunteers signing up. The LEVO office is packed every day of the week as crates of mail arrive daily. We are in a Kairos moment for real change in Oregon that will inspire the nation. As they say in the sports world, "We are going to leave it all on the court" in the next 33 days.

After the horrific mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, and as we mourn with the families as their children's funerals are taking place, our hearts break daily. At the same time, people everywhere are demanding real action borne of shared grief. Lift Every Voice Oregon's IP 17 is the only real legislation in the country at this time that can begin to change the narrative nationally from mourning into hope. We need action by all of us collectively to get this done. Your volunteering and your financial support are crucial in the coming week. Every contribution will make a real difference in getting IP 17 before the voters. If you know of someone with the means to make a large gift, let us know as soon as you can, preferably by tomorrow at 3:00 pm.

LEVO is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Weekly All Volunteers Zoom Briefing
Time: June 7, 2022 06:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81053777735?pwd=cVBMcWdDeVpzMGNxNXQ3Rmp3R0QrQT09

Meeting ID: 810 5377 7735
Passcode: 222511

One tap mobile
+12532158782,,81053777735#,,,,*222511# (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 810 5377 7735
Passcode: 222511

It's my understanding ( Which is questionable at times) that their signature gatherings can only gather ONE signature for ONE initiative, none of this "Here, sign this one and this one too! So, to maximize how many preds on the streets to gather signatures, they slipped I.P. 18 until later when they think the State can take it up in session! Or, they can go out and start the process again later with 18 following what they do with 17!
Interesting, I didn't know they could only collect sigs for one petition. That makes sense then.

I am no attorney but I just cannot see this law passing Constitutional muster if it's challenged in court. (Which it is bound to be.)

Here's the language in the proposed ballot measure:
"Oregon law currently allows persons over age 18 to acquire firearms (federal law requires age 21 for some handgun purchases), seller/ transferor must request criminal background check. Measure requires permit from local law enforcement to acquire firearm; person must pay fee, submit photo ID, fingerprints, complete approved safety training, pass criminal background check, not be prohibited from possessing firearms; officer may deny permit to person believed danger to self or others. Permit issued within 30 days, valid 5 years. Permit denials appealable. Must present permit, pass background check to acquire firearm. State Police creates/ maintains permit/ firearm database. Magazines over 10 rounds, or readily modifiable to exceed 10 rounds, prohibited; exception for current owners /inheritors. Exceptions for law enforcement, armed forces. Criminal penalties. Other provisions.[3]

A permit that can be denied?

State Police creates/ maintains permit/ firearm database? (Gun registration has already been deemed unconstitutional.) (A "Database" is Registration.)
The Brady Act is the law that created the background check system. The law states that authorities must destroy the records of each background check within 24 hours.

The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986 (FOPA):

FOPA is a United States federal law that revised many of the Gun Control Act of 1968 provisions.

As such, FOPA makes it illegal for the national government or any state in the country to keep any database or registry that ties firearms directly to their owner. The exact wording of the provision is as follows:

No such rule or regulation prescribed [by the Attorney General] after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.
I don't want to underestimate what enemies of the Second Amendment will attempt but this looks like they're throwing everything they have at the wall to see what will stick.

The NRA has won every lawsuit that they have filed against governmental entities that have kept background check information on firearms purchasers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads