JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IPs have been filed and are now collecting signatures to be included on the 2022 ballot. They seek to do the following:

IP17
-Require you to obtain a permit to acquire a firearm
-Create a firearm and permit database of your personal information maintained by state police
-Ban ammunition magazines over 10 rounds

IP18
-Ban Semi-Autos (includes more than 100 models of handguns, rifles, and shotguns & 10 generalized categories of semi-auto firearms

It never stops....

It's horse manure and even if it were to be rammed through ala Brown Shirt Kate's "emergency", massive non compliance in view.
If they push it, things will get rather unpleasant.

They will get the signatures and at that point the only thing that will stop it from going up for vote is the legal wrangling of the ballot title (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If it goes up for vote it will pass and you will be living in a state that is much more restrictive on your 2A rights than California.

We should start a thread on what you can do to help prevent this from succeeding in Oregon. I know I'm open to suggestions and ready to roll up my sleeves.

Sure you will be able to keep those evil mags with over 10rnd capacity but don't expect to be able to use them legally in your carry gun. Unless you have them in a locked container.

Will people who possess high-capacity magazines automatically be criminals after the
law becomes effective?
No. High-capacity magazines (called legacy magazines) before the law becomes
effective may be used by the owner but only in certain locations, such as on the owner's
personal property or property over which the owner has control, at shooting ranges, or
at a competition and in lawful recreational activities such as hunting, if not prohibited
under Oregon laws or regulations related to hunting. The magazines must be
transported to such locations in a locked container separate from any firearm.

It's horse manure and even if it were to be rammed through ala Brown Shirt Kate's "emergency", massive non compliance in view.
If it passes it will be widely ignored like the outdoor mask mandate. Oregon is not California or even Seattle.

I don't see the local Sherriffs wasting their time searching and arresting law abiding citizens who are doing absolutely nothing wrong, just because some NIMBY liberal soccer moms in suburban Portland want to show us how righteous they are.

It's going to wind up in Court and get thrown out. Either way I'm keeping my stuff and the good Pastor can kindly --- off.

We should start a thread on what you can do to help prevent this from succeeding in Oregon. I know I'm open to suggestions and ready to roll up my sleeves.
Back in 2018 a candidate for state rep named Jo Rae Perkins proposed a constitutional amendment that would prevent this sort of thing. She called it Counter Attack to IP43. It was a great idea, but she was apparently just using the issue as a campaign vehicle, because as soon as she lost she dropped the ball (even tho she promised not to). As far as I know it went nowhere. I never heard anything about it after that. There is a thread on the subject here:

It would be great if somebody with influence could get this proposal rolling again.

Last Edited:
Meanwhile homelessness through the roof, people struggling and the state is in disrepair because of covid and they WASTE OUT TAXMONEY ON THIS CRAP!!!!

The reality is that one way or another both Oregon and Washington are going to end up with California style gun laws. Each year the democrats keep inching closer and closer, and as long as Bloomberg is bankrolling them they'll keep trying. The courts are lost in both Washington and Oregon. The best we can hope for is SCOTUS to step in but I don't see that happening while Roberts is Chief Justice.

Im just sayi g in the current environment they should be busy with so much other stuff that mag bans and all this nonsense shouldn't even be on the radar.

I just left them people a very long message... this isnt even about whats in those IPs but rather that they are wasting time while there is more important stuff to be taken care off nowadays. If this continues I'll have to figure out a way to not pay state tax.

They will get the signatures and at that point the only thing that will stop it from going up for vote is the legal wrangling of the ballot title (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If it goes up for vote it will pass and you will be living in a state that is much more restrictive on your 2A rights than California.

I agree. I am going to work on posting something soon and maybe it will be sticky worthy. I met a forum member yesterday and he was completely unaware of IP17.

If it passes it will be widely ignored like the outdoor mask mandate. Oregon is not California or even Seattle.

I don't see the local Sherriffs wasting their time searching and arresting law abiding citizens who are doing absolutely nothing wrong, just because some NIMBY liberal soccer moms in suburban Portland want to show us how righteous they are.

It's going to wind up in Court and get thrown out. Either way I'm keeping my stuff and the good Pastor can kindly --- off.
We won't be able to ignore the permit to purchase part of the law. It requires basically the same effort as getting a concealed carry permit. Imagine how much more work is going to be required for FFLs to deal with this. Joe Smith orders his gun online and has it shipped to Tigard Pawn. When he goes in to fill out his form 4473, he discovers that he needs a $65 permit to purchase which will take weeks to months to get. Meanwhile Tigard Pawn has to store that firearm or send it back. Already stretched thin LE depts will be inundated with request for permits to purchase. This will be on top of the inundation OSP will be dealing with for registering semi-autos required by IP18. If one passes they will both pass.

Minorities may be afraid to go into police departments to get their permit to purchase which adds a discriminatory angle to IP17 and both IP17 and IP18 will make it prohibitively more expensive to purchase and own firearms which is also discriminatory towards low income folks. This angle should be pursued by minority groups and low income earner advocates.

Back in 2018 a cadidate for state rep named Jo Rae Perkins proposed a constitutional amendment that would prevent this sort of thing. She called it Counter Attack to IP43. It was a great idea, but she was apparently just using the issue as a campaign vehicle, because as soon as she lost she dropped the ball (even tho she promised not to). As far as I know it went nowhere. I never heard anything about it after that. There is a thread on the subject here:

It would be great if somebody with influence could get this proposal rolling again.
Article 1, section 27 of the state constitution.

We won't be able to ignore the permit to purchase part of the law. It requires basically the same effort as getting a concealed carry permit. Imagine how much more work is going to be required for FFLs to deal with this. Joe Smith orders his gun online and has it shipped to Tigard Pawn. When he goes in to fill out his form 4473, he discovers that he needs a $65 permit to purchase which will take weeks to months to get. Meanwhile Tigard Pawn has to store that firearm or send it back. Already stretched thin LE depts will be inundated with request for permits to purchase. This will be on top of the inundation OSP will be dealing with for registering semi-autos required by IP18. If one passes they will both pass.

Minorities may be afraid to go into police departments to get their permit to purchase which adds a discriminatory angle to IP17 and both IP17 and IP18 will make it prohibitively more expensive to purchase and own firearms which is also discriminatory towards low income folks. This angle should be pursued by minority groups and low income earner advocates.
IP17 also requires that those applying for permit to purchase demonstrate that they can fire a firearm. Some portions of the training can be completed online but other parts like demonstrating firing of firearm has to be done in person. This is going to make the training more difficult and expensive to obtain. Which is no doubt part of their goals.

If IP17 passes I hope sheriff depts will allow people to get their concealed carry permits with their permit to purchase.

If one good thing came out of IP17 it would be that it dramatically increases concealed carry permits issued.

For those who are going to refuse getting a permit to purchase if IP17 passes, I would advise buying as much of your firearm wishlist sooner rather than later. If you wait until November 2022 to see if voters pass it you might get caught up in a tsunami of buyers trying to get in at the last minute. Local prices will rise and local inventory will shrink. OSP may or may not continue moving CCL holders to front of the line.

"It's going to be a victory like no one has ever seen in this state," Rev. Dr. W. J. Mark Knutson said.

The group said it wants Oregon to lead the way for the rest of the country by passing stricter gun laws and are hopeful this will give Congress the courage to do so.

If you do an online search you will find numerous media articles with news about the petition drives for IP17 and IP18. Good luck finding media articles that are sharing news about the opposition's efforts to defeat these IPs.

Big Kudos to Ken Kestner, it would be great to see many similiar letters sent out to all of Oregon's media outlets, social media and the like. These IPs are going to sneak by residents who may have otherwised voted against them if they had been made aware of what havoc these IPs will create.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top