JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Am I missing something? If officers want us to respect them, shouldn't they hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior? Shouldn't they hold each other to a higher standard of behavior?

I could expect that an immature charactar would get upset when he gets flipped the bird, but aren't cops SUPPOSED to be more mature?

Or am I being naive?

Am I missing something? If officers want us to respect them, shouldn't they hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior? Shouldn't they hold each other to a higher standard of behavior?

I could expect that an immature charactar would get upset when he gets flipped the bird, but aren't cops SUPPOSED to be more mature?

Or am I being naive?

Not saying the officer reacted properly, but the fact remains that if the complaintant had acted in a respectful manner, the incident would not have happened. He brought the whole thing on himself. It should be noted that all the "facts" are rarely ever reported in a news article.

I don't believe anyone over the age of 13 should be flipping the bird in the first place, but if there are those out there daring enough to do it in the police state, I say go for it! Entertaining for sure. I am sure a lot of cops have lost sleep over it - really - because that truly puts a dent in their power trip.

Me? No thanks. I proactively want them to never be a part of my life as long as humanly possible and pulling some dumb stunt like that is just foolish. The best strategy with cops is to never give them a reason to interface with you, ever, if at all possible. Never call them, never need them. "Don't invite The Man into your life." - you said it brother.

Smart man :s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

I got pulled over near Grand ronde on my way to Lincoln city for speeding. Was my fault. I was going about 12 miles over the limit. The cop gave me a ticket which i accepted. He then gave me a little speech about speeding (I was 19 at the time) when he was done with his speech and turned to walk away I said "thank you"....not a sarcastic thank you, but just a general one. It was out of habit. Like someone said somewhere above. I try to keep it cordial with everyone unless it has to get nasty, anyways the cop turns around really fast and says "What did you say" you could cut the tension in his voice with a knife. I told him I said "thank you".....he then just turns and walks away....he wasn't a young cop either..had plenty of gray hair....but definately to hot headed to be wearing a uniform. Either that or was just having a bad day. Based on his response to what he perceived he heard I always wondered what he would have done if I had actually said what he was thinking.

Not saying the officer reacted properly, but the fact remains that if the complaintant had acted in a respectful manner, the incident would not have happened. He brought the whole thing on himself. It should be noted that all the "facts" are rarely ever reported in a news article.

If I poke an pit bull with a stick, I harbor no illusions the animal won't react in an unhappy manner. Are you telling me that I need to think of LEO's as animals?

If so, what's the point of respecting a dog? He doesn't care about my respect, (much less earning it,) yet he wants ME to keep HIM fed?

This is why I hate bad cops and the people that enable them, and I hear a lot of bad cop enabling here.

@ CarlMc, not a fair comparison. First place you might own the Pit Bull, and be "meaning him up" to Be More Agressive.

You don't "own" a LEO. Nope, even your Taxes do not allow you ~your own~ LEO. "I pay your wages, yada, yada, yada" does not equate to ownership.

Second, why push a stick at a dog species known to develop mean attitudes? That is unless you want the dog to be agressive.

I once lived close to an intersection, that had the fourth or fifth Highest accident rate in Eugene. Weekly. High speeds involved, to run tail end yllows, presumably. Mehh, the tail end of the yellow, was TWO CARS in front of the accident, I have seen it happen! To the Point, the Eugene PD started a catch them program, with motorcycle cops, in Pairs!

I would always drive by in that parking lot, stop an appropriate distance from them, get out, with my cane, hobble over, and tell each, THANK YOU from a person Of This Neighborhood !!!! "Just doing our job always FOLLOWED the THANK YOU !!!!

I saw them stop at the local drive through coffee... I went there Everyday, My Little Treat to myself, I am worth that, to me !!!! Anyways, I wrote a note, for the coffee girls to show LEO's, "Thank you, from the NEIGHBORHOOD" and put down enough cash that it paid for enough coffee, that the LEO's ~knew~ they were appreciated.

No, I was not buying Loyality, I was giving Appreciation to those I know are in More Danger than LEO's in a cage on four wheels. (Former big bike rider) ...

Where did I Learn such attitudes ???? My upbringing, in the Fifties & early Sixties. Then One Night .... Watching a Fire call out that involved FD's from 25-30 miles away: a local hardware store, think Flamables PLUS.

The local cafe, long closed for the day (no evening dinner) Re-Opened, made gllons of coffee, thick Ham Sandwiches, etc. took them to the fire captain, only. Half block away, and Said: "Feed your Men" then told him the Cafe would be open to Any Fireman, or LEO, all the way until the fire was OUT.

A day later, that greatful Fire Captain went to the owner, and asked for the Bill.... To pay her. She put her hands on her hip, sort of grouchy like, and said, "What BILL" ???? You could have been fighting a fire Here, I was doing my civic duty, to feed my friends who were in need... "Indeed, every one ate at her Cafe, and Firemen wearing rough outs in there happened quite often...

Think.

Act.

How you want to be treated. And Pay that forward, as one of our threads is labeled.

philip,
In he Boondock, has got lots of thm stories.... And shares them now and then....

@ CarlMc, not a fair comparison. First place you might own the Pit Bull, and be "meaning him up" to Be More Agressive.

You don't "own" a LEO. Nope, even your Taxes do not allow you ~your own~ LEO. "I pay your wages, yada, yada, yada" does not equate to ownership.

Second, why push a stick at a dog species known to develop mean attitudes? That is unless you want the dog to be agressive.

I once lived close to an intersection, that had the fourth or fifth Highest accident rate in Eugene. Weekly. High speeds involved, to run tail end yllows, presumably. Mehh, the tail end of the yellow, was TWO CARS in front of the accident, I have seen it happen! To the Point, the Eugene PD started a catch them program, with motorcycle cops, in Pairs!

I would always drive by in that parking lot, stop an appropriate distance from them, get out, with my cane, hobble over, and tell each, THANK YOU from a person Of This Neighborhood !!!! "Just doing our job always FOLLOWED the THANK YOU !!!!

I saw them stop at the local drive through coffee... I went there Everyday, My Little Treat to myself, I am worth that, to me !!!! Anyways, I wrote a note, for the coffee girls to show LEO's, "Thank you, from the NEIGHBORHOOD" and put down enough cash that it paid for enough coffee, that the LEO's ~knew~ they were appreciated.

No, I was not buying Loyality, I was giving Appreciation to those I know are in More Danger than LEO's in a cage on four wheels. (Former big bike rider) ...

Where did I Learn such attitudes ???? My upbringing, in the Fifties & early Sixties. Then One Night .... Watching a Fire call out that involved FD's from 25-30 miles away: a local hardware store, think Flamables PLUS.

The local cafe, long closed for the day (no evening dinner) Re-Opened, made gllons of coffee, thick Ham Sandwiches, etc. took them to the fire captain, only. Half block away, and Said: "Feed your Men" then told him the Cafe would be open to Any Fireman, or LEO, all the way until the fire was OUT.

A day later, that greatful Fire Captain went to the owner, and asked for the Bill.... To pay her. She put her hands on her hip, sort of grouchy like, and said, "What BILL" ???? You could have been fighting a fire Here, I was doing my civic duty, to feed my friends who were in need... "Indeed, every one ate at her Cafe, and Firemen wearing rough outs in there happened quite often...

Think.

Act.

How you want to be treated. And Pay that forward, as one of our threads is labeled.

philip,
In he Boondock, has got lots of thm stories.... And shares them now and then....

AMEN!!!!

I was having a difficult time making the analogy, and was afraid that the point would get diverted.
I'll try another tact: Who's supposed to be the better man? If one of my kids flipped me off, is it better for me to act like an adult, or should I stoop to their level of behavior, but only with the law tacitly on my side? Tell me how, after a schoolyard fight (modern or twenty years ago,) the excuse "He flipped me off!" is ANY excuse for poor behavior on the part of KIDS?

This intellectual dishonesty bothers me greatly. If you won't tolerate your kids (or even coworkers) acting this way, what makes it acceptable for LEO's to act this way?

It doesn't, but; the act of an adult flipping off a uniformed officer isn't acceptable either. I would have stopped him and done a complete roadside safety evaluation of the vehicle as I was sure one of the tail lights was intermittent.

The guy is an adult and there are a few lessons that, even as adults, people need to learn. Like civility!!

It doesn't, but; the act of an adult flipping off a uniformed officer isn't acceptable either. I would have stopped him and done a complete roadside safety evaluation of the vehicle as I was sure one of the tail lights was intermittent.

The guy is an adult and there are a few lessons that, even as adults, people need to learn. Like civility!!

And your motivation was what? To teach him civility? Just how do you teach civility to someone who doesn't want to learn it? And by continuing to smear lipstick on that pig, how is that civilian any less a pig? All you really do is reinforce his distrust of police, and now he knows that you're just as much of an animal as he is. You were also stupid enough to stoop to his level, which in reality, puts him in control of your emotions.

In addition, your statement obviously makes you the judge, jury, and executioner. You may be a cop, but what are the penalties if you impersonate a prosecuter, judge, and jury simultaneously?

Continuing to pound that dead horse, aren't cops taught de-escelation techniques? Is this a descelation, or just you working off your insulted insecurities?

Does this thread provide any justification to help folks like cops? Or despise them?

Why don't you flip off a cop and find out. I think there's a thread on it somewhere on the internet that you just posted to.

I have no intention of stooping to that level. I have standards of behavior that I hold myself to, and expect that LEO's would hold themselves to a higher standard. Based on what I've heard here, I must have been quite the idiot to think that the LEO's with responses similar to yours have higher standards for themselves.

Just to make things clear, I love good cops. I despise bad cops. My standards are high for those we put in places of leadership and judgement. If dirtbags occupy those positions, they, as well as the people who put them there, get no respect from me.

Last Edited:
@ CarlMc:

I have no right to expect more from anyone, than I can put into the conversation.

I strive to live at 100% potential, all the time. My current issue is a bad right hip, which does not provide the same as yesterday, but it is still 100% for Now.

Philip

"Get as you give"
"Do unto others"
"Love your neighbor"
Etc....
Society is going in the scrapper simply because nobody respects anyone anymore. Our LEOs are so my a reflection of the society they live and work in and more frequently, the society they were raised in.
You can train a person all you want, but you aren't going to flush the lack of respect or disdain for others out of them.
I don't doubt this cop had issues, I don't make any excuses for him, but flipping him off is throwing gasoline on the fire especially if the cop is a hot head.
Unless we get a generation of people who learn to respect others this issue is only going to get worse.

"Get as you give"
"Do unto others"
"Love your neighbor"
Etc....
Society is going in the scrapper simply because nobody respects anyone anymore. Our LEOs are so my a reflection of the society they live and work in and more frequently, the society they were raised in.
You can train a person all you want, but you aren't going to flush the lack of respect or disdain for others out of them.
I don't doubt this cop had issues, I don't make any excuses for him, but flipping him off is throwing gasoline on the fire especially if the cop is a hot head.
Unless we get a generation of people who learn to respect others this issue is only going to get worse.

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads