JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Prior to 2016, state law allowed OSP to keep firearms transaction records for 6 months. In 2016 Kate Brown issued an executive order extending that period to 5 years. I don't remember there being much of a fight.
The ATF requires FFLs to keep records indefinitely and can request individual transaction records at any time. Probably not a stretch for Kate Brown to bypass OSP and ask the ATF for your info.

If you bought your gun legally they can find you. If you are just some POS who traded a couple ounces of crystal for a gun you are in good shape.

Last Edited:
My mistake. State law allowed retention for 5 years, but prior to Kate's executive order OSP did not do this. I seem to remember 6 months was the policy before Kate's order. Kate's order extended retention to the full 5 years allowed by law.
According to the three articles I linked (with the last update being 12/17/15) -- It states that it is(was?) OSP's (updated at the time)policy to purge firearm's transaction records after 10 days(whereas it was previously 90 days)...

Since that time, (you're stating) Kate Brown later wrote an executive order directing OSP to keep them for the full 5 years(as allowed by State Law).

Is that correct?

Here is a link with some information on the stated(and updated) policy of the OSP on the retention of firearm's transaction records:

There is an UPDATE FOLLOW UP LINK at the bottom of the section 2. At the Oregon State Police (FICS) , and then another UPDATE LINK at the very bottom of the second article.

I am almost sorry that I brought this up. It is way too complicated and confusing. I like the 10 day and gone policy.

@RedRover , Thank you for looking this up. I couldn't find it anywhere.

I am almost sorry that I brought this up. It is way too complicated and confusing. I like the 10 day and gone policy.

@RedRover , Thank you for looking this up. I couldn't find it anywhere.
I like the '10 day and gone' policy too ;)

I'd like to at the least believe that it's true.

AFAIK -- (NEWLY ENACTED)Firearms registration is prohibited under Federal Law, but as we all know, governments don't always play cleanly by the rules that they establish.

According to the three articles I linked (with the last update being 12/17/15) -- It states that it is(was?) OSP's (updated at the time)policy to purge firearm's transaction records after 10 days(whereas it was previously 90 days)...

Since that time, (you're stating) Kate Brown later wrote an executive order directing OSP to keep them for the full 5 years(as allowed by State Law).

Is that correct?
Yes. I was trying to find the text of the executive order, but all I have found so far is this announcement:

"Second, I am taking immediate action and will use my executive authority to strengthen existing Oregon law.

My executive order directs the Oregon State Police to retain, for law enforcement purposes only, firearm transactions for the full five years it is statutorily authorized to do."

Yes. I was trying to find the text of the executive order, but all I have found so far is this announcement:

"Second, I am taking immediate action and will use my executive authority to strengthen existing Oregon law.

My executive order directs the Oregon State Police to retain, for law enforcement purposes only, firearm transactions for the full five years it is statutorily authorized to do."

What a B....!!!

An important distinction between the policy of OSP's firearms transaction records and M114 is:

The (OSP)database is exempt from public inspection.

What a B....!!!

An important distinction between the policy of OSP's firearms transaction records and M114 is:

The (OSP)database is exempt from public inspection.
114 does not state that the OSP permit to purchase database will be open to public inspection. Only that it will be maintained by OSP, electronic and searchable. Some have inferred that since it does not forbid public access, public access will be allowed, but this is not expressed in the measure.

114 does not state that the OSP permit to purchase database will be open to public inspection. Only that it will be maintained by OSP, electronic and searchable. Some have inferred that since it does not forbid public access, public access will be allowed, but this is not expressed in the measure.
Well, I'm sure that our new Governor-Elect can simply write-up an executive order clarifying that allowance -- At the behest of those who "joined" Kate Brown in your link -- The usual suspects: Kemp, Knutson et. al.

I've had it with these A-holes.:s0054:

Now we've got even more people with charges dropped. With the passage of measure 112 set to release prisoners because of high costs to keep this in jail, do we really need another way to disarm citizens?

Exasperated Multnomah DA says charges dropped against nearly 300 people with no public defenders

In a sign of mounting frustration, Multnomah County's top prosecutor Monday released a list of the cases of nearly 300 people who have had charges dismissed against them this year because no public defenders were available to represent them.

People accused of car theft, fleeing police and illegally carrying guns were most likely to walk free, according to the list. But dropped cases also include accusations of lower level assaults, domestic violence, burglary, identity theft, intoxicated driving and hit-and-run driving.

Now we've got even more people with charges dropped. With the passage of measure 112 set to release prisoners because of high costs to keep this in jail, do we really need another way to disarm citizens?

Exasperated Multnomah DA says charges dropped against nearly 300 people with no public defenders

In a sign of mounting frustration, Multnomah County's top prosecutor Monday released a list of the cases of nearly 300 people who have had charges dismissed against them this year because no public defenders were available to represent them.

People accused of car theft, fleeing police and illegally carrying guns were most likely to walk free, according to the list. But dropped cases also include accusations of lower level assaults, domestic violence, burglary, identity theft, intoxicated driving and hit-and-run driving.
It must be great to be a criminal in Multnomah county, can literally get away with murder…

:s0054:

The ATF requires FFLs to keep records indefinitely and can request individual transaction records at any time. Probably not a stretch for Kate Brown to bypass OSP and ask the ATF for your info.

If you bought your gun legally they can find you. If you are just some POS who traded a couple ounces of crystal for a gun you are in good shape.
And, when a licensee closes shop, they are required to deliver all of their records to ATF.
This forms the archive for the National Tracing Center I mentioned in a previous post.
The FOPA provisions prevent ATF from using the records to create a "register", but they routinely use the records to trace crime guns.
More info: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/discontinue-being-federal-firearms-licensee-ffl

Hold on dude... Not trying to be a jerk here, but that's exactly what it states. Let's read through it together again, shall we?

(I went ahead and crossed out 'the United States or' in case that makes it a little more difficult to comprehend what is written here.)

No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners' Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established.
Suggestion: go to this link, copy paste Section 926, print it, go ask friends or lawyers or judges.
Or search state records for lawsuits that used your interpretation to overturn laws that created registers.
Or use it yourself. Hire an attorney to file a suit against M114 based on your interpretation. Then listen to what the attorney says.

Post a reply with what you find out.

An obvious benefit of discussion forums is discussion. Gun boards help people learn from others and get on the same page.
Good discussion, thanks.

I don't know of any federal provision that restricts state authority to form direct or indirect registers of guns or gun owners, and I'm pretty sure there's not one. I'm here to participate in discussion and hopefully learn.
It already worked.
Camo posted a list I didn't have. Useful info.
If you folks have a link to the federal prohibition you describe, I'd like that link too. Thx.

I think you mean the state of Portland, don't lump the rest of us in with that sh*t show.
Unfortunately, Portland is a cancer that has infected the entire state. The criminals Multnomah County released aren't constrained by county lines. Kate's catch and release program has been going on for a long time and crime is increasing even in the red rural counties. We recently dealt with a methhead that had been arrested 5 times in the same day. We pressed charges for assault with a deadly weapon, attempted arson, and reckless endangering. He was released within an hour and driven to the county line to make him the neighboring counties' problem. And this (and dozens like it) happened a red city in a red county that doesn't want to be lumped in with the Portland crap show either.

Last Edited:
The news coverage before and after the signatures were gathered was dishonest. The signature-gatherers said it was about "gun safety". The committee who wrote the "neutral" description in the voter pamphlet were 3 supporters vs 2 opponents and they voted on the description. The opposition had to buy commercials to get heard, but the supporters got positive "news" coverage for free. The first time I heard a mainstream news story mentioning the chaos we see now was after it passed, even though it was predicted by half the opponents statements in the pamphlet.
This.

It is not illegal for a free press to become fully partisan or to effectively collude with "one side."

It is helpful that our press operates on a for-profit basis, in a mostly free and open market.
If enough of their market united into a collective voice to oppose their bias, they would abandon their bias and rediscover their actual purpose.

For example, if our press began to routinely collude with federal and state policy actions that harmed the rights of 77 million elderly people, AARP would be first on the scene. AARP would leverage its 38 million members against the wayward press, and the press would almost certainly react.

80 million gun owners have not yet achieved that kind of leverage.
Our largest advocacy org only has 5 million, and it doesn't always take a hard stand. Mostly because it doesn't have enough leverage to succeed in taking a hard stand.

The root problem is the difficulty of uniting and organizing effective political support.
Leftists are easy to unite. All you have to do is appeal to their emotions. IMO.
Moderates and conservatives: not so much.

If you are of European heritage, it might interest you to know that this recalcitrance is a well-documented characteristic of that culture and has been for millennia. I have a book on the subject; I'll try to find it.
The basic concept is that those people will tolerate numerous small offenses until the straw that breaks the camel's back, then they suddenly lash out in a manner that can only be described as a violent and horrendous overreaction. For several thousand years, those overreactions have caused more death than any other aspect of human behavior.
It's probably accurate to say that this behavior can be attributed to any culture, but the book I read suggests that Europeans have been doing it for a very long time.

Anyway, I'm rambling and preaching to the choir.

If you can find a way to unite 38 million gun owners (half) into effective political opposition, you can put a stop to all of this nonsense overnight.

Unfortunately, Portland is a cancer that has infected the entire state. The criminals Multnomah County released aren't constrained by county lines. Kate's catch and release program has been going on for a long time and crime is increasing even in the red rural counties. We recently dealt with a methhead that had been arrested 5 times in the same day. We pressed charges for assault with a deadly weapon, attempted arson, and reckless endangering. He was released within an hour and driven to the county line to make him the neighboring counties' problem. And this (and dozens like it) happened a red city in a red county that doesn't want to be lumped in with the Portland crap show either.
Portland general voter intelligence speaks for it self. Conversely the anti-gun politicians seem to practice "black propaganda" and target their pro 2nd Amendment enemies. This can be seen in their campaign for decades with anti-gun leaflets from false fact sources aimed at destabilising the general population, encouraging racial tension, sowing chaos, inciting violence and reinforcing antigun ideas. Many of these tactics likely come from Saul Alenski radical author.

One would suspect that the leading politicians who are anti 2nd A, do on write their public service announcements but shadow authors write the press release with intent to stir up trouble, jmho

For example, if our press began to routinely collude with federal and state policy actions that harmed the rights of 77 million elderly people, AARP would be first on the scene. AARP would leverage its 38 million members against the wayward press, and the press would almost certainly react.
I doubt AARP would be much help to the baby boomers when they are in their expensive medical years. The political class will not want to pay all the Medicare and SS because the boomer generation (and their vote base) will be shrinking while a large number of a younger constituency with no marketable skills will need that money and will be having kids. Whose votes will they be buying and how long will they be bought for?

The AARP leadership will be younger and have their own careers to protect. For every story in the AARP magazines about fighting to protect benefits for old people there will be five about death with dignity, saving for the next generation etc. And publications targeted to the mainstream of younger readers will promote disrespectful talk about expensive non productive boomers.

Last Edited:
Saving the tax payers dollars is the only way. Public defendants cos money too. How's the state senate and house looking?
It would be a great step in the right direction to pass legislation that will allow people to defend themselves against these criminals.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads