JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The announcement from ceasefire is now out. It's imperative that we counter their moves. Yes, this is defense at this point, but we've been on offence as well. Keep hammering the legislators, and send them an email, or call once a week.

emailtplheader-new.jpg

Legislative Update for March 9, 2014

The 2015 legislative session has been even busier than usual with many challenging issues. We expect a background check bill and a child access prevention bill will be introduced sometime after March 27.

How You Can Help This Week

In the meantime, it's vitally important to continue to contact legislators to let them know how much Oregonians support these life-saving bills.

• The expanded background checks bill will close the private gun sale loophole.
  • The <broken link removed> will hold gun owners responsible if minors access their unsecured guns.
  • Ask legislators to vote YES on SB 385.
  • Ask legislators to vote NO on SB 86.
Find your legislators here and ask them to support background checks for all gun sales and the child access prevention bill.

Data and information about background checks are listed here.

Data and information about <broken link removed>.

Call or email your Oregon state senator and representative today and every week. Yes, every week, please!

Shooting ranges next to your farm?

Dodging bullets in our forests?

Not in our Oregon.

NO on SB 86

SB 86 was heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee. People can still submit testimony against the bill and call their legislators and the Senate Judiciary Committee.

SB 86:

• completely disregards common sense and public safety and
  • means that Oregonians who live on farms or near forest zones can suddenly be neighbors with a firing range that hosts shooting matches.
Remember: A bullet from a .22 can travel up to one mile. A bullet from a .30-06 can travel up to three miles.

Guns don't belong

in our court facilities, either.

YES on SB 385

SB 385 was also heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

SB 385 will:

• keep guns out of Justice and Municipal courts,
  • allow Justice and Municipal Courts to be considered "court facilities" rather than "public buildings," and
  • allow Justice and Municipal Court Judges to be included in the definition of "Judge" so they may issues orders to restrict firearms and certain knives (over 4" blade) from a court facility.
Please call Senator Prozanski (or all the members listed below) and ask them to vote NO on SB 86 and YES on SB 385!

Leave a voice message or send a quick email. Just say, "Please vote NO on SB 86 and YES on SB 385."

Please contact these legislators as well:

Senator Floyd Prozanski, 503-986-1704

[email protected]

Senator Ginny Burdick, 503-986-1718

[email protected]

Senator Sara Gelser, 503-986-1708

[email protected]

Senator Jeff Kruse, 503-986-1701

[email protected]

Senator Kim Thatcher, 503-986-1713

[email protected]

Senate President Peter Courtney, 503-986-1600

[email protected]

Rep. Jeff Barker, 503-986-1428

[email protected]

House Majority Leader Val Hoyle, 503-986-1414

[email protected]

House Speaker Tina Kotek, 503-986-1200

[email protected]

We know the NRA broadcasts state legislative alerts nationally, urging people from other states to call Oregon legislators. Our friends in the legislature tell us that many non-Oregonians call them. NRA money talks, but it doesn't vote!

Our legislators need to know they are supported in their communities when they support laws that reduce gun violence.

Talking points: Background Checks

to Close the Private Gun Sale Loophole

• 87% of Oregonians support background checks, including 83% of Oregon gun owners.1
  • In Oregon, background checks for gun sales are only required from a federally licensed firearms dealer or at a gun show.
  • Oregon voters closed the gun show loophole in 2000, but an estimated 40,000 to 75,000 guns are still sold annually in Oregon without a background check through private sellers.
  • Felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill can avoid the background check system by going to private sellers, no questions asked.
  • Exempt family members include parents, children, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews.
  • Background checks would not be required for temporary transfer. (For example, if a gun were lent for hunting for a short time.)
  • The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities.2
  • Taking the responsible step of requiring background checks for private gun sales is the most effective way to reduce gun violence.
  • In states that require comprehensive background checks:
    • 48% fewer on-duty police officers are shot and killed, and
    • 46% fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners.3
  • Background checks are simple and effective. During 2013 alone, Oregon's background check system prevented 2,215 prohibited persons from purchasing guns from licensed dealers and at gun shows (Oregon State Police data).
Background checks save lives. Let's close the private sale loophole now.

1. Americans for Responsible Solutions

2. <broken link removed>

3. Everytown for Gun Safety

Talking points: Child Access Prevention

• The proposed Oregon Child Access Prevention bill will will make it a crime to endanger a child by allowing access to an unlocked or unsecured firearm without consent of the child's parent or guardian.
  • The law would require gun dealers to post these responsibilities where firearms are sold.
  • An estimated 26,000 Oregon children under 18 live in a home with an unlocked firearm.1Many more children visit and play in homes with unsecured firearms.
  • Child Access Prevention legislation makes it clear that preventing child access to these firearms is the gun owner's responsibility.
  • Families who enroll their children in gun safety classes or take their children hunting or target shooting will still be able to do so.
  • Every gun that injures a child first passes through the hands of an adult.
  • In 12 states where child access prevention laws had been in effect for at least one year, unintentional deaths fell by 23% from 1990-94 among children under 15 years of age.2
  • Keeping firearms locked and unloaded and storing ammunition in a locked location separate from firearms serve as protective measures that reduce youth suicide and unintentional injury in homes with children and teenagers where guns are stored.3
1. The Truth About Kids & Guns, Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence, Oct. 2014.

2. Peter Cummings et al., State Gun Safe Storage Laws and Child Mortality Due to Firearms, 278 JAMA 1084, 1084 (Oct. 1997).

3. David C. Grossman et al.,Gun Storage Practices and Risk of Youth Suicide and Unintentional Firearm Injuries, 293 JAMA 707, 711-13 (Feb. 2005).

Visit Ceasefire Oregon or Donate today.

twitter-icon.png Twitter

facebook-icon.png Facebook

email-icon.png Email

separator.png

You have received this email through your subscription to Ceasefire Oregon's email list.
If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email updates, <broken link removed>.

SALSA_empowered_180x50_2.png

View attachment 218407

Last edited by a moderator:
"The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities."

What? o_O

These people.
Actually not true in the context they are pushing. Here are a couple examples.

Check out the following two graphs:
Second graph on the page. Note the year 2005.
http://www.businessinsider.com/vehicle-miles-driven-2013-2

And compare it with this graphic
http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-deaths-traffic-deaths-report-2012-12

Now before getting too excited about the second graph and the rising gun deaths intersecting the car deaths (or the source); remember that it includes ALL gun deaths. I have the graph I'll share later this evening that shows car accidents vs suicide-gun and homicide-gun. It paints a very different picture when the details are revealed. Especially knowing that the huge decrease in car accidents has more to do with fewer people driving than regulations. Oregon is similar to the national trend.

Also, the "48% fewer on-duty police officers are shot and killed" is bogus for Oregon as well. Even by their own data. Check out the Oregon rate on the second page of the link below (I've confirmed its accurate for Oregon) and compare it to the "states with background checks..." rate on the first page :p. Oregon is 49% LESS than those other states.
<broken link removed>

Or the "In 12 states where child access prevention laws had been in effect for at least one year", For the country as a whole, gun-accidents are down 80% since 1990 to 2013. This per the CDC data for kids aged 0-14.

Finally, it seems that CeaseFire has the inside scoop on what exactly is in the background-check proposal. Do we need to do a FOI request so the public can see it as well?

Last Edited:
"The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities."

What? o_O

These people.

Actually that's probably true fact. I dont have exact year comparison. But in 2013 there were 49510 car crashes with 292 fatal crashes. The fatality rate down 8.3% and the fatal and serious injury rate down 12%. Perhaps because cars are safer.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/car/docs/2013_QuickFacts.pdf

In 2011 there were 421 firearm related deaths, 342 from suicide (81%), 65 homicides and 3 unintentional injury and a few others.

https://public.health.oregon.gov/Di...ents/NVDRS/SummaryDataTablesByYear2003_11.pdf

But there were 51% ( 441 )of the violent deaths were by some other means. Poisoning, drowning, sharp instrument, etc

So there were less car accident fatalities than non-firearm related causes of death as well. It does not mean we should make people buying nives and hammers get background checks.

If we have not removed the cars and the fatality rate is going down? No new background checks to get a car ?

Perhaps we should treat mental illness better? just a thought.

I get that the number of deaths may be accurate, but to insinuate that the reason behind the numbers is the lack of a private sale loophole is idiotic and grabbing at low hanging fruit, even for these people.

The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities

B.S. if this # is remotely true I'll have to break it down with my own made up assumptions.

Gun deaths include Suicide.
The badly managed Oregon Economy, global warming scare tactics, fears that owning a gun puts you at risk of going to jail with all the crazy new laws against gun owners they push every year and the rest of their crap makes people depressed! This leads to more suicide!

Gun deaths often occur during a robbery/burglary.
The Badly managed Oregon Economy, Lax enforcement policies for drugs, vagrancy, transient camps, panhandling and illegal immigration causes more crime. Some of that is gun crime.

Car deaths are down.
So is driving, because of the badly managed Oregon Economy, the insane energy policies, fuel taxes and global warming scare tactics and the rest of their crap!
These things are forcing people who are lower income off the road and on public transport.

It's clear to me what the problem is and it's not the "Gun Sale Loophole". It's the same people keep automatically getting voted in office loophole!

So, aside from the death statistic mashup, this little factoid always pisses me off:

Remember: A bullet from a .22 can travel up to one mile. A bullet from a .30-06 can travel up to three miles.

While possible, highly improbable....

How many of US are going to contact anyone except NWFA members to complain/voice an opinion on this??????????????:(:(

Probably about as many as contacted TV/Newspaper about the Clark Rifle Range incident.o_O:rolleyes::confused::mad:

So, looks like it'll pass.........:rolleyes:

Where the Hell is OFF???????????????????????????????????:(:mad:

How many of US are going to contact anyone except NWFA members to complain/voice an opinion on this??????????????:(:(

Probably about as many as contacted TV/Newspaper about the Clark Rifle Range incident.o_O:rolleyes::confused::mad:

Actually OFF already commented on both of these a while back I believe. SB 385 was heard already but not acted upon. IE Died in committee I think.

As for do something, I'm one of those people who are always emailing people regarding these types of bills. I try reading the original bills, and replying to the various committees. Sometimes I get replies, sometimes I don't.

IE I don't think [email protected] has ever replied. Go figure.

Have you yourself sent an email regarding these?

Getting a message from one of us who is in their district would be especially helpful
I've written my own Reps preemptively and now it's time to write them all. Include in your mailings/calls, why Ceasefire is privy to all this info ahead of the citizens of Oregon??

We had Kevin Starrett, head of OFF and author of "Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws" in last night for our CHL 101 course, and he spoke at length about the efforts being put forward to combat these. If anyone isn't sure whether there's any really effective organizations out there, I can't stress to you how ferocious the Oregon Firearms Federation is on our behalf. Please sign up!

Fonzi

If you're concerned about action by OFF, then why aren't you volunteering to get the word out? Instead of whining about what others aren't doing, how about if you step up? Based on your past comments, you obviously have an opinion and spare time. Why not donate your time and energy to an organization instead of complaining about them?

The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities

B.S. if this # is remotely true I'll have to break it down with my own made up assumptions.

Gun deaths include Suicide.
The badly managed Oregon Economy, global warming scare tactics, fears that owning a gun puts you at risk of going to jail with all the crazy new laws against gun owners they push every year and the rest of their crap makes people depressed! This leads to more suicide!

Gun deaths often occur during a robbery/burglary.
The Badly managed Oregon Economy, Lax enforcement policies for drugs, vagrancy, transient camps, panhandling and illegal immigration causes more crime. Some of that is gun crime.

Car deaths are down.
So is driving, because of the badly managed Oregon Economy, the insane energy policies, fuel taxes and global warming scare tactics and the rest of their crap!
These things are forcing people who are lower income off the road and on public transport.

It's clear to me what the problem is and it's not the "Gun Sale Loophole". It's the same people keep automatically getting voted in office loophole!

It is people control plain and simple!!!!!:mad:

If you're concerned about action by OFF, then why aren't you volunteering to get the word out? Instead of whining about what others aren't doing, how about if you step up? Based on your past comments, you obviously have an opinion and spare time. Why not donate your time and energy to an organization instead of complaining about them?

If you only knew.....................:rolleyes:

If you only knew.....................:rolleyes:
I had no idea that you had volunteered time to OFF. Are you the one responsible for compiling legislative announcements? Or are you the one that preps Kevin on individual legislators befory testifying? Are you the one that sets up booths at gun shows and events? Are you the one that screens and answers emails for OFF?

Please tell us so we can know what you do for OFF instead of complaining about them here?

My reps dont respond to me. But why should they? If I was a politician and just won a majority, I'd pop into the office for about an hour each day to delete emails and throw away letters and then spend the rest of the day golfing

I had no idea that you had volunteered time to OFF. Are you the one responsible for compiling legislative announcements? Or are you the one that preps Kevin on individual legislators befory testifying? Are you the one that sets up booths at gun shows and events? Are you the one that screens and answers emails for OFF?

Please tell us so we can know what you do for OFF instead of complaining about them here?

Yes, I do all of the above..................................................................not.:eek::eek:

I do not work with, nor am I involved with, OFF in any manner.:cool:

I don't think OFF is anywhere close to being as active as I think they should be. That's my opinion.

I have supported OFF in the past, have encouraged membership recently, and wish they were more vocal.

I have spoken with Kevin multiple times via phone & email, and he and I disagree more than we agree.:(

I am very involved with similar/other issues here in Jackson County.:D

My reps dont respond to me. But why should they? If I was a politician and just won a majority, I'd pop into the office for about an hour each day to delete emails and throw away letters and then spend the rest of the day golfing

Mine either don't respond or don't respond the way I want them to. I continue to write just to honestly say I am part of the solution and not part of the problem.

I post on these forums to hopefully awaken/encourage fence sitters to get involved and maybe give them some talking points they can use to persuade others.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top