JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Colorado has been dealing with this and their Supreme Court just shut it down recently.

Interesting that Colorado is pushing that when a massive zoophelia ring just got exposed in Denver. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I have a vegan brother, so I tried a few of his recommendations of things he really enjoys.... they all taste like mush or cardboard to me. I suppose the palate gets used to eating chit. With current OR govt, we better get used to eating chit too! :(

OldTengu's got the right idea...

I could do veggies and no meats, but I won't do meat substitutes. Silly.

I spent ~2 years vegan on a whim just to try out the hype when I was climbing and competing. TVP is mush, and takes a lot of spice and some real culinary skill to get it back to edible - but it's pound for pound more protein dense than most things and doesn't need more than a plastic bag for storage - great for non-water-intensive backpacking when paired with calorie dense foods.

But, all in all, one should avoid fake/imposter meats...culinarily, there is so much awesome in the world that's vegan just by happenstance and cultural evolution (a lot of Indian food, for example). Fake meats never made sense to me - if you want to eat vegan, eat vegan. No point in faking it - especially since most of the stuff is absolute garbage for you. If you are vegan and still at risk of diabetes, you're doing it wrong.

OldTengu's got the right idea...

I spent ~2 years vegan on a whim just to try out the hype when I was climbing and competing. TVP is mush, and takes a lot of spice and some real culinary skill to get it back to edible - but it's pound for pound more protein dense than most things and doesn't need more than a plastic bag for storage - great for non-water-intensive backpacking when paired with calorie dense foods.

But, all in all, one should avoid fake/imposter meats...culinarily, there is so much awesome in the world that's vegan just by happenstance and cultural evolution (a lot of Indian food, for example). Fake meats never made sense to me - if you want to eat vegan, eat vegan. No point in faking it - especially since most of the stuff is absolute garbage for you. If you are vegan and still at risk of diabetes, you're doing it wrong.
I should amend my statement. I do on occasion use tvp, but less as a meat sub and more as a protein filler. Lentils have a comparable protein content and aren't soy based, but don't go as well in enchiladas.

I should amend my statement. I do on occasion use tvp, but less as a meat sub and more as a protein filler. Lentils have a comparable protein content and aren't soy based, but don't go as well in enchiladas.
I should amend my statement, I wasn't talking about you in the literal sense but more so "you" as in the general audience. I mentioned TVP because @bbbass mentioned meat substitutes and mush...so, probably ill prepared TVP ;). I'm a big fan of TVP, beans, a pack of spicy taco or chili seasoning, and tortillas for backpacking day 1~3 food. Like I said, it's lightweight, doesn't really require refrigeration, and is plenty easy to cook in a jetboil. I've also used seitan as a stand-in for duck in some Thai noodle dishes and it fills that role well.

I guess I should amend my post to say that many of the raw ingredients often used for meat subs are decent on their own or used in your own recipes (TVP, seitan, tofu, tempeh, paneer). But, whatever they do to get those things to fake meat products (like hot dogs, bacon, etc) - it's a garbage end result with, usually, way too much added fat or sodium in an attempt to make the product palatable. The vegan version of McDonald's turning chicken lips into nuggets.

Suppose I'm just not a fan of over processed...anything...whether it's vegan or omnivorous.

Thanksgiving Tofu recipe.

Preparing tofu for Thanksgiving:

Step 1: Prepare a large container, lined with a leak-proof bag

Step 2: Place the tofu in the bag, seal the top

Step 3: Remove the bag from the container, move it to the garbage can, slam the lid closed.

Step 4: Grab a beer or your favorite adult beverage.

Step 5: Grill, smoke or deep fry some real damn meat!!

I love easy recipes :)

Last Edited:
Having a Vegan for dinner!

peta-campaign-logo-780981.jpg

I had bbq sirloin last night, steak and eggs this morning, and I having a steak sand with horsey sauce for lunch.

Don't want no damn tofurkey for THXgivers!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top