JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeing as how a large portion of the ODFW revenue to pay their salaries, retirement, and operating costs come from licenses, tags and other fees, I dont see it. Something like this happens and they better hire a bunch more wardens and provide body armor.

Just shows what this state has degenerated to.
Don't blame the state - the State is just a piece of land with a name.

Oregon has largely in part been one of the first bastions of counterculture and liberalism ever since the end of the San Francisco 'Summer of love' in 1967 when the 'Hippies' migrated North to Southern Oregon and firmly established themselves in Ashland , Medford and the surrounding areas. They eventually started moving North and found Eugene to be a good stop, with U of O to be a good 'breeding ground' for their idealism.

Vietnam only made matter worse with lots of ''draft dodgers' and anti war types flocking to the relative 'anonymity' of Oregon at the time.

There are some good, historical references and articles to this and I recommend to anyone interested to look them up. They are a good read.

The late author/journalist Hunter S. Thompson wrote a good article in 1967 about this called the "The 'Hashbury' is the Capital of the Hippies". It doesn't really resonate entirely today but there are some interesting parallels with the anti establishment attitudes of that time, and now. I recommend anyone interested to look it up and read it.

My own first 'experience' with this was with a fairly 'young' female teacher when I was in High School in So Cal in the mid '70's and I remember her resigning her position because she was 'moving to Ashland, Oregon' which was a mystery to me - until a couple years later when I graduated and moved to Oregon myself and eventually learned the 'history' of the area.

Last Edited:
Don't blame the state - the State is just a piece of land with a name.

Oregon has largely in part been one of the first bastions of counterculture and liberalism ever since the end of the San Francisco 'Summer of love' in 1967 when the 'Hippies' migrated North to Southern Oregon and firmly established themselves in Ashland , Medford and the surrounding areas. They eventually started moving North and found Eugene to be a good stop, with U of O to be a good 'breeding ground' for their idealism.

Vietnam only made matter worse with lots of ''draft dodgers' and anti war types flocking to the relative 'anonymity' of Oregon at the time.

There are some good, historical references and articles to this and I recommend to anyone interested to look them up. They are a good read.

The late author/journalist Hunter S. Thompson wrote a good article in 1967 about this called the "The 'Hashbury' is the Capital of the Hippies". It doesn't really resonate entirely today but there are some interesting parallels with the anti establishment attitudes of that time, and now. I recommend anyone interested to look it up and read it.

My own first 'experience' with this was with a fairly 'young' female teacher when I was in High School in So Cal in the mid '70's and I remember her resigning her position because she was 'moving to Ashland, Oregon' which was a mystery to me - until a couple years later when I graduated and moved to Oregon myself and eventually learned the 'history' of the area.
Interesting.

However notable, Southern Oregon today (including Ashland) is far far more conservative than the areas surrounding Mid to Northern I5 corridor.

I recon Ashland being the least conservative of the Southern area, however is still split about 50/50. Better than 60/40, 70/30 & worse as one heads North...

Edit: pulling from no facts or anything, just reconing that Conservatives lose majority along the I5 North of Roseburg.

Interesting.

However notable, Southern Oregon today (including Ashland) is far far more conservative than the areas surrounding Mid to Northern I5 corridor.

I recon Ashland being the least conservative of the Southern area, however is still split about 50/50. Better than 60/40, 70/30 & worse as one heads North...

Edit: pulling from no facts or anything, just reconing that Conservatives lose majority along the I5 North of Roseburg.
I really have a hard time understanding the demographics of Portland Metro. From my perspective, Hillsboro and Aloha on the West Side are both pretty conservative and Oregon City and Clackamas on the East Side as well. Beaverton used to be pretty red but is mostly blue and I still feel Milwaukee is 50/50. How did the area become so radically one sided with the demographics being somewhat down the middle?

I really have a hard time understanding the demographics of Portland Metro. From my perspective, Hillsboro and Aloha on the West Side are both pretty conservative and Oregon City and Clackamas on the East Side as well. Beaverton used to be pretty red but is mostly blue and I still feel Milwaukee is 50/50. How did the area become so radically one sided with the demographics being somewhat down the middle?
I blame the influx of people following the show "Portlandia" and their kids.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top