JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would buy a portable Honda Generator EU 2000i. Those things are amazing, light and quiet. Those cost a little over $1000. Then I would bank the rest till I needed it.

Hmm depends if joe has a freezer or not.

If he does, and is concerned about extended power loss (storm, brownout, Cascadia...whatnot), then a genset may be worthwhile.

Those Honda units are super nice, but there are clones which are decent "enough" at a better value given the likely amount of use.

I live in the suburbs and the longest we have been without power in 14 years was about 2-3 hours max so it's pretty low on the wish list, no matter how useful when you need one.

$1000- Savings
$1000- Mortagage
$1000- To one of your 2 passions or split equally among the 2

Its a reasonable balance of all things.
Savings for a rainy day is self explanatory. Paying off a mortgage before retirement is critical to easy living in the sunset years. Using some for fun money is a reward for things well done that has gotten you the money in the first place.

I have a big generator that is loud, heavy and no way could I ever lift it to put in my car. @Camelfilter if your find an equivalent to a Honda please let me know. Honda weighs 46 lbs.

We have a knockoff "Kipor" brand IG2000P. Picked it up for a song back East from a small engine repair guy out of Rhode Island. I think I paid $200-250 for it. Works a charm.

It has a yellow case, but similar to the Honda red case. Similar features as well. Can be hooked up to another to run in parallel, plus has direct DC output option.

Now doubtful similar could be found now-days at that price out here. I would, however, imagine knockoffs could be found with looking at the $4-500 mark.

Last I looked (been a while now mind), there were 3 or 4 knockoffs, with varying reputations for reliability.

$1000- Savings
$1000- Mortagage
$1000- To one of your 2 passions or split equally among the 2

Its a reasonable balance of all things.
Savings for a rainy day is self explanatory. Paying off a mortgage before retirement is critical to easy living in the sunset years. Using some for fun money is a reward for things well done that has gotten you the money in the first place.

I have more than 3k in savings. And while I've been tempted I just can't let myself spend it. Sure, a Barrett M82A1 with a Swarovski on top COULD be had. Even a lower end select fire piece is in reach. But nope. Not gonna do it.

Earlier I stated my opinion of what I'd do with three grand.
Then I got to thinking, what if the question had to do budgeting a firearm.
It wouldn't buy me a Tommy Gun. (FA, not a nice, semi auto repro)
Dang! That would be the best....
I think I'd like to check out a Nosler rifle. They have some nice options that can push the rifle out of the budget, way out if you so prefer. but there would need to be money left over for ammo, brass and dies. Then I'd still have to kype a scope from another rifle.

I have a big generator that is loud, heavy and no way could I ever lift it to put in my car. @Camelfilter if your find an equivalent to a Honda please let me know. Honda weighs 46 lbs.

Update to my other post on this subject:

Was reading another forum, this Northern Tool 2000 unit comes highly regarded. $570 shipped.

FREE SHIPPING — Powerhorse Portable Inverter Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, CARB Compliant | Inverter Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

Real answer: Invest in another mutual fund (Vanguard's minimum is often $3,000, so perfect). Or throw it at our mortgage, which is the one and only form of debt we have, which I'm working hard on taking out as fast as possible.

Gun answer: Maybe a nice Broomhandle C96 and, if there is any left over, a Scofield reproduction. Time ways a transferable submachine gun could be had at $3K, but those days are sadly gone.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top