JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put baking soda on stings, seems to pull the toxin out, reduce the swelling and as the skin contracts push the stinger out. I was riding into a small town so slowed down and flipped up my visor only to get hit right below my eye by a bee going slower than me but going the same direction as me. You get the idea. I immediately got the welt and pain so stopped at a local mini mart and bought a box of baking soda. While I was still at the check out counter I tore the box open, licked my finger and applied the spit/baking soda to the sting. In just a couple of seconds the clerk said wow that was fast and in just a couple minutes it looked like I'd never been stung.

Last Edited:
On a weird note; I learned the other day that I'm very allergic to bee stings. I was going out for a quick ride around the lake and about a quarter mile from the house, got smacked in the neck @ 35mph by a bug. I didn't think anything of it until a couple miles later when I started itching badly and the spot it hit me was swelling and had a burning/stinging sensation. I also felt my ears closing in. I pulled over and looked in the mirror to a bright red neck and welts forming all over my body. I hauled bubblegum back home and downed a couple Benedryl. I can't remember the last time I had been stung, but I never had a reaction to it.
Its not at all uncommon for people who have no problems with bites to become VERY allergic to them later. The kind of reaction you had means see your Doc about getting an Epi pen and start keeping one with you. Next bite may be even worse.

The last time I bought a bike (15 years ago? Maybe more) there was a big difference between the k-mart bikes and a name brand, but from there up, it was mostly weight savings and smoother shifting. What's new?
Was poking around the internet and found what looks to be state of the art trail bike of today. Electric and pedal power full suspension. $13,000. That's nuts. I paid less than that for my pick 'em up truck. Ironically the trucks original owner must have been into these cuz there's a pivot cycles decal on the back.

09C827C1-E075-4FAE-82C7-49EE32CEAFBF.jpeg
Was reading on one forum where guy had newer high end bicycle with lots of travel on shocks. He said it was about 40 lbs. he went back to the old school bike and said it felt like a toy and he could chuck
It around anywhere.

It's all a personal thing, and many factors work into the pro's and con's. 40 years ago, I had to come home on emergency leave when my oldest brother was killed on his motorcycle. He had bought it as a cheap way to get to work and back, but one morning a semi clipped him in town. He left a widow and three young daughters. I haven't touched a motor bike since.

I rode bicycles for a good long time, then it got entirely too risky. I haven't ridden my road bike in 15 years. I really watch out for both motorcyclists and bicyclists. The majority are responsible, but there are always a few who do dumb s"$t, and you don't know when they're going to pull something stupid. Same for the car and truck drivers who "Share the Road".

Was poking around the internet and found what looks to be state of the art trail bike of today. Electric and pedal power full suspension. $13,000. That's nuts. I paid less than that for my pick 'em up truck. Ironically the trucks original owner must have been into these cuz there's a pivot cycles decal on the back.

View attachment 1460063
Was reading on one forum where guy had newer high end bicycle with lots of travel on shocks. He said it was about 40 lbs. he went back to the old school bike and said it felt like a toy and he could chuck
It around anywhere.
Another tidbit re "current state of the art l" in shocks. This one adjusts the damping in 4 milliseconds based on sensors in the shock. That's pretty crazy. Maybe they have this for motorbike racers for a while I don't know. But computerized shocks that adjust at the moment you hit the obstacle? Wild. I have no interest in one myself, nor paying the massive $ they probably cost, but the tech is interesting.

Skip to the 4:00 mark here:

Another tidbit re "current state of the art l" in shocks. This one adjusts the damping in 4 milliseconds based on sensors in the shock. That's pretty crazy. Maybe they have this for motorbike racers for a while I don't know. But computerized shocks that adjust at the moment you hit the obstacle? Wild. I have no interest in one myself, nor paying the massive $ they probably cost, but the tech is interesting.

Skip to the 4:00 mark here:

OK, I bailed out of that video fast. :confused:

OK, I bailed out of that video fast. :confused:
4min mark is only part worth listening to. It's about 30 sec long. Basically the fork reads the bump and the computer sets the right amount of damping (feeds the right amount of oil I guess) to absorb it. And it does so in 1/10 the amount of time it takes for the tire to deflect for the bump. Craziness!

4min mark is only part worth listening to. It's about 30 sec long. Basically the fork reads the bump and the computer sets the right amount of damping (feeds the right amount of oil I guess) to absorb it. And it does so in 1/10 the amount of time it takes for the tire to deflect for the bump. Craziness!
Cool. And congratulations on proper use of the word Damping. You don't see that a lot. Good man.

In the car world regular Audi and others use iron filings in the shock that can be controlled with a switch on the dash. The magnets firm up or loosen the ride. But this seems next level kinda of formula 1 stuff to me (ie adjusting damping and a lot of other stuff via computers as the car goes through the corner). Only type of person interested would be true racers I bet. Interesting but I could care less for my use.

I don't have much to add that hasn't been covered. Been riding motorcycles since I was 10 or 11 (48 now). Dirt and road, although not as much the last 10 years (younger kids). Never really used the road bikes for transportation, nor would I want to. Riding in traffic was not relaxing or enjoyable, which was what I like about riding.

Love traveling on the bikes; been through most of the western US (west of the Rockies), western Canada, and a trip to Alaska. Such a different experience than traveling in a 4 wheel vehicle. Over the years, I've logged about 60K miles.

Did have an accident when I was 17 doing something dumb. Totaled the bike, I was scraped/banged up a little, but could have been a lot worse. Learned lessons that stuck with me. Wear good protective gear. Take a course to learn the basics/good habits. Assume people don't see you (because often they don't). Make sure your bike is safe(good/reasonable new tires, lights work, brakes work good). Animals can and will do things that are unpredictable. Watch for gravel/dirt/oil on road surface.

I personally would not ride a bike for transportation to "save money". Better off in an economical car.

Last Edited:
In the car world regular Audi and others use iron filings in the shock that can be controlled with a switch on the dash. The magnets firm up or loosen the ride. But this seems next level kinda of formula 1 stuff to me (ie adjusting damping and a lot of other stuff via computers as the car goes through the corner). Only type of person interested would be true racers I bet. Interesting but I could care less for my use.
I think F1 has been doing this for years.

As far as new I don't know much about it but I think it's that the newer ones have 27.5" or 29" wheels instead of 26". Also disc brakes. Maybe that's why the older ones are so cheap I dunno. Newer ones seem to weigh a lot more though maybe due to the brake? The old purple one above is 24.5 lbs but seems like now even the real high end bikes are 30lb. But I know very little about modern bikes just the little I've seen from researching.

Some tech does seem to be going backward though. The 92' I bought has grease guard bottom bracket and hubs. You can ride through a creek or river and later you just push out any water or old grease with a mini grease gun. No need to rebuild bottom bracket/bearings cuz there is always fresh grease and old stuff gone every time you grease it. Don't know why they don't do that anymore.

View attachment 1456534
Example of the crazy 90's bike engineering. Had to change bottom bracket today and the crank arm is one piece and the whole rest of the crankset is one cnc piece. No bolt on chainrings. Crazy stuff. I can't imagine anyone doing that today. My guess is the cnc would actually be less reliable but of course less weight, but just a guess.

E9698B55-AE7F-4D3D-8C80-E681697334C6.jpeg
4F1DFDCC-0717-4E84-9034-2EB33A857EAC.jpeg

Ridden both a Motorbike and a Bicycle for many years. On both, just assume that you are totally invisible to other drivers. Don't ride in the dark if you can help it and please wear clothes. For the love of God.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top