JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No one has asked, so I will. Is there a chance this money becomes community property? Careful what you do with it! If she gets it, its gone.

My found a $6000 check from a settlement I got from the HCA. It instantly became community property. I was so pizzed because she a: dug through my mail; and b: I had ideas for that!

I'd buy a nice used Tesoro Tejon metal detector and go looking for coins and other valuables.
Great hobby that pays for itself, plus it gets you off the couch and outdoors.

If I had $3k right now?
Here are three scenarios:

Pay off my Alaskan cruise and pocket the rest for walkin around money.

Use if for Vegas money/expenses for my sisters birthday.

Pay off $3k of the $5k I still owe on my truck.

If my cruise and truck were not in the scenario and it was all for firearms:

Id buy that M1a for $1k here on NWFA, spend another $537 on 7.62x51 ammo thats $179 per tin of 400+ rounds (at Aimsurplus) giving me 1200 rounds to plink with. The rest of the money Id use to buy a couple other firearms Ive had my eye on: sks, AR10 (entry level) and perhaps an LCP2. I should have enough money left over to buy 1-3 boxes of ammo for each firearm (aside from the extra 7.62x51) thats only if I found decent deals on all the firearms listed.

Once I had $3k cash and I did not use it wisely. I spent a lot of firearms I ended up selling.. so this time around Id really price out (sale hunt) for firearms I was truly after. Id probably not buy ammo unless it was a screaming deal.

Lastly.. if I didnt have any savings or retirement established Id toss that $3k in an "emergency only" savings account and just hold onto it.

ok, a little fun quoting some typical internet advice posted before....what I'd personally do with '$3k cash' is preserve it in readily available form pending a future determination of just how to best use it.

As noted by others, being DEBT FREE is really a heady dose of what FREEDOM can be. Having no debt means not spending such windfalls on trinkets & baubles.

Having not only survived but 'learned from' the financial errors of my youth, fiscal discipline has led to a sense of more freedom & well being than anticipated.

If someone handed me $3000 free and clear. I would most likely put about $1000 towards our 2019 trip to England. $1200 into a Reproduction Winchester 1885 Hi Wall in 45-70 Deluxe pistol grip stock with double set triggers. The rest would go towards my Willys Jeep Hard top and off road trailer building fund.

Not sure what you might do with it.

Save it for when you don't have $3000.

:) Reminds me of something my Dad said to me many decades ago. After divorce was living check to check and did not care. Could put everything I owned in the car and move and often did. He said "you need to set up a F%$K you account". He said you put 1K aside and leave it. Then you can at any time say F you to your landlord, or your boss and such since you can move on at a moments notice. This was of course a long time ago so the amount to set aside has to be a lot more now but I still do it.

Yes, I have a chunk of cash in an account for just such an event. I could easily spend it on toys, but not gonna do it.

When I first read your question my first thought was "how did he get it?" (Not that it is any of our business).

Reason I wondered is: My dad passed away and had a little money from a life insurance fund.

(Story going back a few years.....) When he was younger he purchased "a big boy" of his day - a 44 Auto Mag. (Still in the family).

(Now.....) When he passed away and I received the life insurance money, I went out and bought "a big boy" of my day - a Desert Eagle in 50AE. Was about the biggest hand-cannon in semi auto that I could think of. It is brushed nickel to match the Auto Mag as close as possible. I've named it after my dad in his remembrance. (scroll about 1/2 way down to my post: Show your guns!)

I took the remaining balance and gave it to a family member who he "borrowed" A LOT from.

It was "free" to me, so why worry about keeping, saving, etc.? It ultimately came from him, so I purchased something in his remembrance. It's just too bad we couldn't take both "big boys" to the range and shoot them together. The pictures would have been awesome!

Joe, as for your dilemma..... obviously it's totally up to you. Aren't you still recovering from "issues"? What you spend it on might be very different than what I spent mine on.

More ammo? Gold? Silver? Pay down debt? Fix a vehicle that has needed fixin'? Buy your significant other something that you've not been able to afford previously?

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

I wrote up a little too in depth OP and decided maybe TMI.

It would be from our tax refund in the spring.

No debt except our house mortgage. We own our cars and no credit cards.

Mostly living check to check but with the 2 of us working it's manageable and we haven't needed for anything we could t pay for - now wanted is a whole different thing.

My wife basically is asking me to decide on one of my top two hobbies - guns and computers.

My laptop is 9 years old and my tower is 12 and they are becoming obsolete.

I have added 2 $200 shotguns to my collection and those were the first guns I've bought since selling off just about everything but my heirloom guns 3-4 years ago (which aren't much but I'd never sell them).

There isn't enough cash I'll ever have to buy all of the guns I want but I could always make money back on them. A new laptop would be great but worthless in resale value if I even needed it.

I would want to put some into a saving account for day to day SHTF but I gotta decide what I would do with it if we even get that kind of cash back from taxes. Personally I'm not counting on more the a grand once it's all tallied up lol.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top