JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I rode a street bike for three years, mostly while selling real estate and meeting clients at houses. 3,000 miles per year. I cannot count the number of cars that pulled out in front of me. My biggest risk factor was riding too fast, so I sold it.

It is more dangerous obviously than a cage but if you pay attention and ride the speed limit you will greatly increase your the chances of survival.

Besides, the number one killer of street bike riders is a single vehicle accident while missing a corner at high speed.
YEP! A LOT of the bikes that go down did it because there were acting the fool. Racing from one lane to the next, splitting lanes, crap like that. When I ride to work here I tend to get in close to someone going posed or little over and use them for cover. Stay up with them, really watch the person on either side to make sure they don't suddenly decide they want the same lane I am in and such. At intersections assume those cars are going to pull out in front of you.

I was raised to never ride a motorcycle. Back when police departments had traffic divisions, my Dad was sergeant in charge of accident investigation. He cleaned up the remains of too many motorcycle riders. It was ingrained in me from an early age to not get near the things, and I haven't.

I got a moto bike when I was about 11 when living in the rural midwest. My crashes progressively got worse and at about 20 I decided 2 wheels bad, 4 wheels good, and bought an FJ40 that the top comes off when I want to feel the wind in what's left of my hair.

Edit: I still have the FJ

The first thing you should do if you wish to proceed in your fascination is to enroll in a motorcycle riding safety course, typically offered in most areas several times a year.
Even tho' I've decided against the portable organ donor, I might still take a class or three. Just to have that under my belt, and perhaps an endorsement on my license.

Thanks for the input!

Even tho' I've decided against the portable organ donor, I might still take a class or three. Just to have that under my belt, and perhaps an endorsement on my license.

Thanks for the input!
Good idea. You never know when a skill set and certification will come in handy. And, the training will also give you a much better understanding of what you might expect from a bike rider.

I've thought a lot about a motorcycle as a cheaper alternative to a car. But I can't get over the impression it's just a matter of when I'll have to lay it down and die.

Am I being over-sensitive about it? I don't want to maim myself while riding to the grocery store.

View attachment 1455131
Any bike riders here have an opinion to share?

I've considered an e-bike as an interim... something like this:
https://amzn.to/43xcyCT

View attachment 1455132
Don't do it.

In high school had a classmate who's foot got ground off when he laid it over at speed. Another guy I didn't know well lost his arm when a car went over a double yellow. Close relative died due to massive trauma from crash. I literally only knew 3 poeple who rode bikes a lot. They are all either missing limbs or dead.

If another car makes a stupid mistake and you are ina car usually the worst is the inconvenience of dealing with insurance. If you are on a bike and another car makes a stupid mistake, good bye body parts or worse... Free country though.

Don't do it.

In high school had a classmate who's foot got ground off when he laid it over at speed. Another guy I didn't know well lost his arm when a car went over a double yellow. Close relative died due to massive trauma from crash. I literally only knew 3 poeple who rode bikes a lot. They are all either missing limbs or dead.

If another car makes a stupid mistake and you are ina car usually the worst is the inconvenience of dealing with insurance. If you are on a bike and another car makes a stupid mistake, good bye body parts or worse... Free country though.
Not entirely so. The worst-case scenario in a car is you become soup and they have to cut your remains out. But there are a lot more in-between-cases.

I've been riding on the street since the early 60's. Had more close calls than I can count, but no accidents. I definitely wouldn't do the E-bike thing. I got out of more close calls with the judicious application of horsepower than I did by applying the brakes.

It isn't so much the dying as it is the quadriplegia or paraplegia. I once knew a guy who was hit by an old woman who ran a stop light in Colorado Springs. His life was a mess in spite of the insurance settlement. Colostomy bags, daily health care... and for what? Just to "Live to ride, ride to live"... Another guy rode with his helmet unstrapped in protest of Michigan's helmet laws. When he went over the hood of a car, the helmet came off, he hit the pavement, and had to relearn everything most of us learn after age 2... Personally I've always chosen to wear an "approved" helmet, regardless of the laws.
Ive courted the Reaper:eek: a few times in my life and always been a risk-taker... and have owned several bikes and ridden my share, no denying it, and no denying the rush- but I've been lucky and being stuck in a bed or in a chair as a result would have been a poor trade indeed. Some things just aren't worth the risk... course I'm saying this as an old guy...🧐

Last Edited:
Don't really care for bicycles on the road....

Where I live we have lots of bicycle riders...which would be fine if...
The roads were designed for them as well as cars.
Most of the time...the roads are too damn narrow for both and it makes for some impatience drivers , who zoom around the folks riding a bicycle.
Or...a long traffic back up while getting to spot where a car can safely pass the bicycle.

And then there are the folks who ride bicycles and don't obey traffic laws.
Now the above is not to say that every bicyclist doesn't obey traffic laws...just those who don't , sure make it tough for those who do.

In regards to motorcycles...
They are fun ...and can get you around with using a lot less gas than a car.
They do take a "driving" to a new level of awareness.
Like anything it requires skill , practice and mastery of the skill.
If you got a motorcycle and were just planning on using it for trips around town...I would suggest something in the 350- 500 cc range.
Andy
Shy of a very few truckers, blue state bicyclists are the rudest (and dumbest) sumbiges on the roads, they act as if they own it. Being in the right is no consolation when you become a hood ornament. Speaking as a former bicyclist.:D

Shy of a very few truckers, blue state bicyclists are the rudest (and dumbest) sumbiges on the roads, they act as if they own it. Being in the right is no consolation when you become a hood ornament. Speaking as a former bicyclist.:D
They are certainly like that around here. Seems to me that bicycles and cars don't mix well unless maybe a rural area where there is tons of room and not a lot of traffic/conflicts.

Having said that the other day I bought an old mountain bike which was my dream bike a million years ago. Not sure it's ever been ridden more than a few miles in 25+ years. Some older bikes that were originally $2500 you can get for hi point $ now. Just like a gun, an older high quality bike that's been taken care of will run indefinitely. I only ride trails with family never around town. Forgot how effortless it is to cover miles vs on foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are certainly like that around here. Seems to me that bicycles and cars don't mix well unless maybe a rural area where there is tons of room and not a lot of traffic/conflicts.

Having said that the other day I bought an old mountain bike which was my dream bike a million years ago. Not sure it's ever been ridden more than a few miles in 25+ years. Some older bikes that were originally $2500 you can get for hi point $ now. Just like a gun, an older high quality bike that's been taken care of will run indefinitely. I only ride trails with family never around town. Forgot how effortless it is to cover miles vs on foot.

View attachment 1456496
A Cannondale? Well look at you. I've got basically a knock-off of that. I hardly ride it anymore.

View attachment 1456496
Nice. For almost a decade I rode a bike to work when weather was nice and work was close. Even though it is not legal to do so I rode on the sidewalks. Working nights a few co workers started doing it. One of them did get warned about lights. 2nd time same LEO stopped him he said warnings were over and tickets would begin. He was crying to me about it and I told him just buy a damn light. I never had any of them say a word do me about riding the sidewalk at night with lights. I always said that if one did the bike would become no more for work. When young and in better shape it was a ton of fun to take to the large park here that had a 5 mile long paved road through it. Fun and great exercise. After I wore out 2 cheap Fred Meyer bikes I did "splurge" and buy a nice bike at a bike shop. As soon as I did I could see there really was a HUGE difference between them and the cheap bikes. You are right that there is a lot of high end ones for sale in almost new shape cheap. These are like so many things that some people buy with the idea of exercising and after a very short trial they sit gathering dust. :D

Last Edited:
Nice. For almost a decade I rode a bike to work when weather was nice and work was close. Even though it is not legal to do so I rode on the sidewalks. Working nights a few co workers started doing it. One of them did get warned about lights. 2nd time same LEO stopped him he said warnings were over and tickets would begin. He was crying to me about it and I told him just buy a damn light. I never had any of them say a work do me about riding the sidewalk at night with lights. I always said that if one did the bike would become no more for work. When young and in better shape it was a ton of fun to take to the large park here that had a 5 mile long paved road through it. Fun and great exercise. After I wore out 2 cheap Fred Meyer bikes I did "splurge" and buy a nice bike at a bike shop. As soon as I did I could see there really was a HUGE difference between them and the cheap bikes. You are right that there is a lot of high end ones for sale in almost new shape cheap. These are like so many things that some people buy with the idea of exercising and after a very short trial they sit gathering dust. :D
The last time I bought a bike (15 years ago? Maybe more) there was a big difference between the k-mart bikes and a name brand, but from there up, it was mostly weight savings and smoother shifting. What's new?

A Cannondale? Well look at you. I've got basically a knock-off of that. I hardly ride it anymore.
They cost nothing now you can get a bike in good shape for less than the cost of a new rear derailleur. After I bought that one, the next day I saw an ad where a couple had 2 for $200 total so I got one for the wife and one for a beater. So now I have four of the damn things ha ha (still have the one I bought new in 92 and although it now has no value it still rides like the day I bought it -that one got many years of hard trail and downhill use in its early days).

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I bought a bike (15 years ago? Maybe more) there was a big difference between the k-mart bikes and a name brand, but from there up, it was mostly weight savings and smoother shifting. What's new?
When I decided to try riding to work at first I just wanted to save some $$'s Had not had a bicycle for a hell of a long time so just headed to the Fredies, picked one out and rode it home. After the second one wore out Wife finally got me to go to a shop. At first I was like "no way in hell" when I was looking at the prices. Then sales guy said "you want to take one out for a spin? Just grab a helmet over there and try one." Well then I could feel what money bought. Rode around the parking lot a few laps, came back and said ok, I will take that one. :D
Cost MANY times what the first couple had run me but damn it was a world of difference and it also lasted for many years and when I got tired of riding someone was glad to take it off my hands still working great.

They cost nothing now you can get a bike in good shape for less than the cost of a new rear derailleur. After I bought that one, the next day I saw an ad where a couple had 2 for $200 total so I got one for the wife and one for a beater. So now I have four of the damn things ha ha (still have the one I bought new in 92 and although it now has no value it still rides like the day I bought it).
View attachment 1456506
View attachment 1456507
I know every time they clean up some "homeless" camp here there is always a pile of bicycles left behind that the scum stole :mad:

As far as new I don't know much about it but I think it's that the newer ones have 27.5" or 29" wheels instead of 26". Also disc brakes. Maybe that's why the older ones are so cheap I dunno. Newer ones seem to weigh a lot more though maybe due to the brake? The old purple one above is 24.5 lbs but seems like now even the real high end bikes are 30lb. But I know very little about modern bikes just the little I've seen from researching.

Some tech does seem to be going backward though. The 92' I bought has grease guard bottom bracket and hubs. You can ride through a creek or river and later you just push out any water or old grease with a mini grease gun. No need to rebuild bottom bracket/bearings cuz there is always fresh grease and old stuff gone every time you grease it. Don't know why they don't do that anymore.

831755E3-B481-40F9-91FF-9ED24DBD045C.jpeg

Last Edited:
As far as new I don't know much about it but I think it's that the newer ones have 27.5" or 29" wheels instead of 26". Also disc brakes. Maybe that's why the older ones are so cheap I dunno. Newer ones seem to weigh a lot more though maybe due to the brake? The old purple one above is 24.5 lbs but seems like now even the real high end bikes are 30lb. But I know very little about modern bikes just the little I've seen from researching.

Some tech does seem to be going backward though. The 92' I bought has grease guard bottom bracket and hubs. You can ride through a creek or river and later you just push out any water or old grease with a mini grease gun. No need to rebuild bottom bracket/bearings cuz there is always fresh grease and old stuff gone every time you grease it. Don't know why they don't do that anymore.

View attachment 1456534
Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews