JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've thought a lot about a motorcycle as a cheaper alternative to a car. But I can't get over the impression it's just a matter of when I'll have to lay it down and die.

Am I being over-sensitive about it? I don't want to maim myself while riding to the grocery store.

190622075621-01-nh-motorcycle-crash-0621-super-169.jpg
Any bike riders here have an opinion to share?

I've considered an e-bike as an interim... something like this:
https://amzn.to/43xcyCT

81C6goojP0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wife and I ride. I have been doing it since the 70's. So far (knock on wood) only been nailed one time and I came out fine. That one was a lot of luck. I had no helmet on and only a jean jacket. Young and indestructible and all.
Even that one if I had not turned my attention to the moron who darted across the intersection in front of me to cuss him, I may have been able to avoid moron #2 who tried to follow him and nailed me. You have to ride with the assumption that every car you see is going to try to pull out in front of you. You can't "day dream" when there is any other traffic. Also a LOT of bike wrecks come from drivers who seem to have a death wish. Splitting lanes is a VERY common one. So if you decide to try one use some common sense and you may find it great. There is still a chance that no matter how well you ride some idiot may get you of course. Co worker of mine got hit weeks ago. Stopped at a light and some guy with no license hit him from behind. Those its hard to defend against.
As for the E Bikes I would NOT ride one on the street. I rode a mountain bike to the job for years when I worked a couple miles from where I lived. It was nice and cheap when the weather was nice. I rode on the sidewalks though. Riding a bicycle in the traffic scares hell out of me. With a motorcycle you can get away from idiots. With an E Bike or peddle bike you don't have that.

I've been riding for about 10 years. I have yet to be involved in an accident with another vehicle on the road. The closest I've had to an accident was when I first started riding and I had a dual-sport type bike and I wiped out on some gravel back roads at about 20mph. I've been told that there's two types of riders - those who've been in a crash, and those who are going to be in a crash. I don't particularly agree with the logic there because I've known a few people who rode for decades and were never involved in an accident. I always ride defensively and never push myself beyond my comfort zone. That's served me well so far and I intend to keep riding that way until I decide to hang up my helmet.

Don't really care for bicycles on the road....

Where I live we have lots of bicycle riders...which would be fine if...
The roads were designed for them as well as cars.
Most of the time...the roads are too damn narrow for both and it makes for some impatience drivers , who zoom around the folks riding a bicycle.
Or...a long traffic back up while getting to spot where a car can safely pass the bicycle.

And then there are the folks who ride bicycles and don't obey traffic laws.
Now the above is not to say that every bicyclist doesn't obey traffic laws...just those who don't , sure make it tough for those who do.

In regards to motorcycles...
They are fun ...and can get you around with using a lot less gas than a car.
They do take a "driving" to a new level of awareness.
Like anything it requires skill , practice and mastery of the skill.
If you got a motorcycle and were just planning on using it for trips around town...I would suggest something in the 350- 500 cc range.
Andy

I've ridden dirt bikes for 25 years, and have occasionally tried my hand at riding on the street when I have a legal bike like a dual sport or street bike.

I've only ridden a few hundred miles in total. So, I'm no expert.

However, I feel like the last 10 years have become sketchier. Smartphones and loose drug enforcement have caused many drivers to be even worse than before.

I don't want to ride on the streets anymore, I feel like you need nerves of steel and 360° vision and a lot of luck.

I've ridden dirt bikes for 25 years, and have occasionally tried my hand at riding on the street when I have a legal bike like a dual sport or street bike.

I've only ridden a few hundred miles in total. So, I'm no expert.

However, I feel like the last 10 years have become sketchier. Smartphones and loose drug enforcement have caused many drivers to be even worse than before.

I don't want to ride on the streets anymore, I feel like you need nerves of steel and 360° vision and a lot of luck.
I don't ride on the street anymore either. People are idiots. Plus I have enough scars now and a mildly bad knee. I ride quads offroad now - they don't fall over when you stop and they're still a ton of fun.

But to answer your question OP, if you're over 25 and you can afford a car, forget the bike. And power assisted bicycles are just less visible motorcycles that can't accelerate out of trouble. I went through a winter in CA on a bike and I wouldn't do it again. Now that I think of it, if you're under 25 don't get the bike either. :D

Last Edited:
With the way people drive nowadays and the level of distracted drivers, I share your opinion. It's not a quest of if, but when. I think you really have to LOVE riding to make the risks worth it.

And if you do decide to do it, don't skimp on the protective gear. And that includes having some type of helmet cam.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor.

It only takes one person messing up and that one person doesn't have to be you. The only thing between you and the pavement is what you wore that day. I choose not to ride because it doesn't appeal to me, however make no mistake that it's much, much more dangerous to travel on two wheels instead of four. Ods are though, you'll be fine. Nobody gets out alive anyway and very few people really get to choose their exit ramp from the highway of life

With the way people drive nowadays and the level of distracted drivers, I share your opinion. It's not a quest of if, but when. I think you really have to LOVE riding to make the risks worth it.

And if you do decide to do it, don't skimp on the protective gear. And that includes having some type of helmet cam.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor.
And a really good helmet. They're all the same until you land on it. Or get it run over.

I rode a street bike for three years, mostly while selling real estate and meeting clients at houses. 3,000 miles per year. I cannot count the number of cars that pulled out in front of me. My biggest risk factor was riding too fast, so I sold it.

It is more dangerous obviously than a cage but if you pay attention and ride the speed limit you will greatly increase your chances of survival.

Besides, the number one killer of street bike riders is a single vehicle accident while missing a corner at high speed.

Last Edited:
I'm a former long time motorcyclist and hated riding in town but loved exploring the back country. Given what you're asking I'd say you'd be better of with small car for in town driving it'll get about as good of mileage as a motorcycle and have better protection both from the weather and other drivers. The thing about 2 wheels is that it puts you in the environment good or bad. Sitting at a stoplight wearing full riding gear surrounded by stinky death machines is no fun no matter who you are. Same thing in the rain, the roof leaks, the defroster is broken and the wipers don't work. Now on the other hand exploring the back country on lessor traveled secondary roads is a very enjoyable one with the world experience.

I'm a former long time motorcyclist and hated riding in town but loved exploring the back country. Given what you're asking I'd say you'd be better of with small car for in town driving it'll get about as good of mileage as a motorcycle and have better protection both from the weather and other drivers. The thing about 2 wheels is that it puts you in the environment good or bad. Sitting at a stoplight wearing full riding gear surrounded by stinky death machines is no fun no matter who you are. Same thing in the rain, the roof leaks, the defroster is broken and the wipers don't work. Now on the other hand exploring the back country on lessor traveled secondary roads is a very enjoyable one with the world experience.
THIS!
I for a long while long back only had a bike. It was in the SW but it still REALLY sucked when weather was bad. Nice thing about it now is bikes are just for when I want. My 950 just barely gets better MPG than my little Kia. Now when I had a little street 400 that did get 60MPG. This morning just before getting off work I heard someone killed a bike rider up on I5. Rolled his car and then took off on foot. :(
It did have me watching the other cars a little better all the way home :)
Long stretches of road less traveled are a ton of fun on bikes.

I rode street motorcycles since 1980, was rear ended at a stop light once, had many many close calls and evasive maneuvers …2 years ago I sold my bike due to so many close calls, people pulling into my lane, people pulling out in front of me. I blame it on the smart phone, people cannot stop playing with it while driving… I still ride a bicycle but only on dedicated bike paths with no vehicle traffic

This is very true. It seems like the people driving now aren't great on paying attention.

Jack

I have ridden dirt bikes back in the 70s and enjoyed it a lot.

I've thought a lot about a motorcycle as a cheaper alternative to a car. But I can't get over the impression it's just a matter of when I'll have to lay it down and die.

Am I being over-sensitive about it? I don't want to maim myself while riding to the grocery store.

View attachment 1455131
Any bike riders here have an opinion to share?

I've considered an e-bike as an interim... something like this:
https://amzn.to/43xcyCT

View attachment 1455132
Do you appendix carry? You could argue that it's more dangerous to carry that way due to potential mechanical failure of your firearm or some other thing that could, maybe, one day happen.
It's not as safe as being in a car. You have to be more aware of the actions of others and considerably more aware of your own. That said, if you're worried about it being safe to ride in town, you're smart, because it isn't.

Motorcycle riding can be great fun and gives you an appreciation of the roads you travel you will never get in a cage. My file picture was taken on one such fantastic trip. The hi-vis yellow is one of my defensive strategies. HOWEVER, there are many risks, some you can greatly mitigate and some that are circumstantial and can sometimes be overcome by training or equipment. The term ATGAT comes to mind. "All the Equipment All The Time''. Most crashes occur within 25 miles of your home, so on even a short trip to the store you SHOULD wear all your protective gear. Choices...

The first thing you should do if you wish to proceed in your fascination is to enroll in a motorcycle riding safety course, typically offered in most areas several times a year. As with a basic firearms course, you will learn all sorts of stuff that is not necessarily intuitive, and gain basic riding skills on easily manageable bikes in a very controlled environment. Most states require a motorcycle endorsement on your license. Passing one of these classes will typically get you that endorsement. This is a great "try before you buy" option.

The most winning strategy for successful long term motorcycling is to ride with the mindset that everyone else on the road is going to try to kill you. So, 100% attention is required 100% of the time, and as with firearms, keeping up your skill sets will serve you well.

Riding in the modern world "ain't like it used to be". Electronic distractions, crowded roadways, more numerous chemical enhancements for other drivers, and even EVs that you can't hear coming around the bend. So, riding is an unparalleled joy, but you MUST take it seriously if you want to maximize your chances of pleasure, not pain. Take that beginning class and it will reveal much to you.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews