Opinions on the best "Go To War" round in 30.06?

Reactions
I would be more focused on establishing dope at extended ranges with an accurate load with a high BC bullet than i would with any special purpose. AP, or API round.

"Wartime" to me means ASW tactics, so the old -06 would be used when the 308 was not reaching far enough.

But then again, at that point, its time to break out the CheyTac.

Go big or go home.

OP
svxr8dr

svxr8dr

Reactions
I'd find a nice 150gr with a good bc. Where are you fighting this war? Most engagement with small arms won't be past 300yards. The light bullet will give you the least amount of drop and good light armor penetration.
This war is fictional, really just trying to contemplate what rounds I should keep on hand as I build up my inventory.

Reactions
I don’t recall the source now, but I once read the skilled marksmen in WWII often used AP ammunition in their Garands; the 164(?) grain AP bullet performed much better at range than the 150 grain flat based M2 ball.

But, for the best overall performance in military .30 caliber go to the M72 Match with 173 grain FMJBT. Same as the old M1 ball round.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom