JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would be more focused on establishing dope at extended ranges with an accurate load with a high BC bullet than i would with any special purpose. AP, or API round.

"Wartime" to me means ASW tactics, so the old -06 would be used when the 308 was not reaching far enough.

But then again, at that point, its time to break out the CheyTac.

Go big or go home.

I'd find a nice 150gr with a good bc. Where are you fighting this war? Most engagement with small arms won't be past 300yards. The light bullet will give you the least amount of drop and good light armor penetration.

Or, you could load up some zippy stuff for a 270 if you have one.

3800 FPS with the 85 grainers would punch most plates at under 200 yards.

Screenshot_20190603-103507_Drive.jpg

I'd find a nice 150gr with a good bc. Where are you fighting this war? Most engagement with small arms won't be past 300yards. The light bullet will give you the least amount of drop and good light armor penetration.
This war is fictional, really just trying to contemplate what rounds I should keep on hand as I build up my inventory.

I don't recall the source now, but I once read the skilled marksmen in WWII often used AP ammunition in their Garands; the 164(?) grain AP bullet performed much better at range than the 150 grain flat based M2 ball.

But, for the best overall performance in military .30 caliber go to the M72 Match with 173 grain FMJBT. Same as the old M1 ball round.

30/06 AP black tip is pretty amazing round. A longer bullet that is more accurate than the 'Ball' round.
Tungsten steel core. I acquired a large amount years ago on Garand clips. This stuff will go
through a telephone pole!:eek:

Last Edited:
As noted above , the .30-06 AP ammo works very well.
My rifle really likes ammo in the 165-180 grain weight range...
That said...
It shoot 150 grainers and M2 Ball Ammo well enough for Government work as we used to say in the Army.
My rifle being a JC Higgins model 50 with a Leupold 3x9 scope...
Andy
DSC06725.jpg

Round rolls of toilet paper and round bottles of antibiotics are the best, all around.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top