JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Old AP Black Tips are still the gold standard for a all around performer! I ended up with a large quantity of it and actually harvested some for the bullets to try them in .308 and .300 Win Mag! They rock in all three flavors, and it the .300, absolutely phenomenal!
Outside that, I really like a 180 gr for all my .30/06 loadings, best compromise of serious power and decent range, may only equal the .308 for extreme range, but it sure as heck hits a lot harder!

I have some black tips and some tracers, plus a few boxes left of Lake City M2, but I'd continue to shoot what I've been shooting the for quite a while, Sierra 180gr boattails over a bunch of RL22. It's a load that I can substitute Nosler Partitions for and it's still flies well.
I haven't bought any factory ammo for ages, and then it's just for fun and to collect brass.

180 grain, though I'd use 150-165 if that's what I could get. 180 is an what their meant to shoot. Nosler partition or accubond. The '06 is best.

..... This stuff will go through a telephone pole!:eek:
X2. I once shot thru an Osage Orange tree (tough, like Yew) that was 20"+ in diameter. The exit hole looked like it didn't yaw or even slow down much.
Also, as a test back in the day when "news" was reporting that teflon coated "cop killer" bullets from a pistol could penetrate 1-1/2" of steel... I fired 3 rds of M2AP at a piece of 1" A36 steel plate. None of them went all the way to exit but their noses poked thru far enough to make someone on the other side real nervous. And that stuff was 40+ years old.
Great stuff. I cringe to think how much we plinked away in the '60s to make reloading brass. But it was 4 cents a round :rolleyes:

Is it M2 FMJ, or 180gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip's? Or is there something else?
Doesn't the Geneva Convention dictate that only non-expanding FMJ bullets be used in military firearms?
To that end, I'd say a 150-165 grain boat-tailed spitzer would be the choice for the '06.

Dean

Doesn't the Geneva Convention dictate that only non-expanding FMJ bullets be used in military firearms?
To that end, I'd say a 150-165 grain boat-tailed spitzer would be the choice for the '06.

Dean

See, thats the beauty of being a civilian milita, no Geneva conventions, equals no compliance! I can use dumdums, hollowpoints, mercury tipped, tungsten core, what ever, and there is not a damn thing any one can do about it! Go ahead, send the Blue Helmets to inspect and enforce those conventions, see how well that goes!

...wh-wh-wh-what?!
What the heck does "civilian militia" have to do with it?
All the OP asked is what bullet would work best for a war-type situation, thus my comment on the Geneva Convention.
He never mentioned anything about "Civilian Militia"....o_O:confused:

This war is fictional, really just trying to contemplate what rounds I should keep on hand as I build up my inventory.
Ura-Ki,

Never mind, I see what you're getting at now.
I missed the above quote, earlier.
In that case, can't do much better than 180 gr. Speer Grand Slam's.
Put that in front of 54 grains of 4350 and you've got a power house that'll bust a T72 tank @ 400 yards!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top