JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, tonight was my first "real" attempt at open carry.

My wife and I decided to go for a walk. And instead of my usual leather IWB, I decided to take the new baby, a Springfield XD, out and about in a serpa. I tucked in my tee shirt, and strapped on my weapon.

It was nice. I'll be open carrying a lot more. Felt kind of like skinny-dipping. :D

I've heard you're not supposed to open carry in Oregon...hence "concealed carry". Either way, I don't need the bad guy to have extra time to figure his plan of attack if he knows I have a gun. I'd rather see the "Oh S***!" look on his face.

Oregon is an Open Carry State.

There are Rules, Regulations, and city/county laws disallowing such action in certain area's.

You can not legally Open Carry in Beaverton unless you are a concealed handgun licensee. I for one would open carry in Beaverton as a CHL'ee. Why you ask? For me it would be a form of protest and an opportunity to educate the ignorant about it.

So in conclusion... I think it is very kool that you Open Carry in Beaverton. If enough people start doing it in Beaverton maybe the stupid law restricting those that do not have a CHL from doing it will come up for review and get $#it canned.

OR has complete state preemption of firearms law except a city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places for those who do not hold a license to carry a concealed handgun.

As far as I can tell, only Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places.

Best to do your own research and make sure you're following the law.

I forgot where the thread was on our forum but I found this one. hope it helps to clearify!

Terry

https://www.oregonfirearms.org/

ORS 166.173(2)(c)--which exempts persons licensed to carry concealed weapons from local loaded firearms regulations--demonstrates that the legislature anticipated situations in which persons may possess concealed, loaded firearms in a public place. The legislature chose to exempt such persons from local regulations based on their possession of a certain type of permit, despite the fact that a concealed firearm, although otherwise in a "public place," is not kept in a place to which the "general public has access."

Epic...But I have to agree with one of the above posts, some random idiot is gonna call the cops about you walking around waving a gun in the air. Though you are completely within your legal rights...you might not get busted for the open carry...but a disturbing the peace charge is likely. Some LEO's ( I said some! ) don't like it even if you are within your rights cause the sheep get all startled.

So what if someone calls the cops on him? Its a little extra attention, and an opportunity to get the cops and the people knowing the law.

Good job Joe, You are doing something great for the gun-cause every time you open carry.

So what if someone calls the cops on him? Its a little extra attention, and an opportunity to get the cops and the people knowing the law.

Good job Joe, You are doing something great for the gun-cause every time you open carry.

That's what I think every time someone calls the cops on me, "Great, this is the perfect opportunity to teach the officer why he's wrong."

Epic...But I have to agree with one of the above posts, some random idiot is gonna call the cops about you walking around waving a gun in the air. Though you are completely within your legal rights...you might not get busted for the open carry...but a disturbing the peace charge is likely. Some LEO's ( I said some! ) don't like it even if you are within your rights cause the sheep get all startled.
Nope won’t happen in a million years. That’s just paranoid babble speaking. I know of at least one person that has on more then one occasion open carried in Beaverton. Only thing that has ever happened is 1 foolish sheeple did call the police on him. They just visited him in his house in Aloha and everybody just got a laugh out of it to include the cops that did in fact know the law like they are supposed too.

Agreed!
Oh don't get me wrong I'm all for it. I was just saying that some idiot is bound to call the cops and cry.
Yep that will happen but only until everybody gets realigned and learns how the laws work. Hopefully some of the sheep will realize a hand cannon strapped to somebody’s side is not actually scary. They do not leap into peoples hands and fire wildly about at innocent people, nor is it likely to accidentally go off and kill somebody. It is like a billion times more likely that you will be killed in a car accident on any given day then killed as a result of a gun-carrying law abiding citizen… but alas everybody here already knows this. It just bugs the living crap out of me that the general population believes otherwise.

I open carry during hunting season in Silverton. It seems like people don't give a rats &$$ when they see me walking through the grocery store with a firearm on my belt. Then again, I am wearing full camo and it's a bit rural out here. It feels like October rolls around and the whole town is dressed in Mossy Oak, lol. I've never open carry during the rest of the year.

I open carry during hunting season in Silverton. It seems like people don't give a rats &$$ when they see me walking through the grocery store with a firearm on my belt. Then again, I am wearing full camo and it's a bit rural out here. It feels like October rolls around and the whole town is dressed in Mossy Oak, lol. I've never open carry during the rest of the year.

I wouldn't worry too much about it out there. Here in town if I'm at the grocery store and see someone with a sidearm on their hip, I'm checking for an exit strategy (JIC) and not spending a lot of time going over ice cream selection in the same aisle. If I don't know you I'm always going to side on caution if I see a gun outside of the regular places gun are common. I would also worry a little about the gun making me a target.

my 2 cents

Ed

I wouldn't worry too much about it out there. Here in town if I'm at the grocery store and see someone with a sidearm on their hip, I'm checking for an exit strategy (JIC) and not spending a lot of time going over ice cream selection in the same aisle. If I don't know you I'm always going to side on caution if I see a gun outside of the regular places gun are common. I would also worry a little about the gun making me a target.

my 2 cents

Ed
That's sad to me, especially coming from a gun owner. Guess what buddy a criminal would either be waving it around or concealing it. Dang man think about it.

Kinda like that little bitty skid lid I use to protest the helmet law when I scoot on one of my HD's... can draw some attention from the heat, but oh it feels so good on a hot day. :D

I did some OC in LaPine this weekend...no problems

As far as carrying in Beaverton, as mentioned above it is a city that has made it illegal. And someone mentioned above you can OC with a CHL which is not true, atleast that what I was told by Jim Jacobe, local Firearms Instructor. You can carry concealed with a CHL, it does not give you the right to open carry where it is prohibited.

Referance to OpenCarry.org's Oregon Section:
<broken link removed>

Rally: Jim Jacobe is incorrect.

See the law, first post in the link you posted:

ORS 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 &#167;4; 1999 c.782 &#167;8]

Thats the law. Long and sort of it. Open and concealed carry is legal EVERYWHERE in Oregon if you have CCW, except for Jails, Courtrooms, and the secure section of the airports.

I did some OC in LaPine this weekend...no problems

As far as carrying in Beaverton, as mentioned above it is a city that has made it illegal. And someone mentioned above you can OC with a CHL which is not true, atleast that what I was told by Jim Jacobe, local Firearms Instructor. You can carry concealed with a CHL, it does not give you the right to open carry where it is prohibited.

Referance to OpenCarry.org's Oregon Section:
<broken link removed>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thread you just linked to, says that you CAN open carry (In banned cities) with a CHL.

ORS 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

And someone asks for clarification later in the thread and is confirmed correct that with a CHL you can open carry, in banned cities.

Edit: Sorry Keane! You beat me to it! :) (By a minute!)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top