JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting question and my googling hasn't found the answer yet...

Can someone open carry with someone who is hunting but they do not have a hunting license? My buddy wants to come up with me while I hunt. I open carry when I hunt and he would like to do the same but do NOT have a hunting license...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

That's what I thought...I just didn't know if there was something silly with ODFW on the "intent" to hunt without hunting license or something like that

That's what I thought...I just didn't know if there was something silly with ODFW on the "intent" to hunt without hunting license or something like that

Just as long as you're not hunting and your buddy decides to 'open carry" a hunting rifle. That's a sure fire way to get yourself in trouble. I OC, even though I have a CCW, when I bird hunt and so does my friend ( he doesn't have a CCW). Its pretty obvious that you're not duck hunting with a Glock.

Have a good one.

Oh okay no...I can be slow at times...he just wants to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

He is not a hunter but I could use the company as I hate hunting alone and my group is unavailable.

THANKS!

I have no idea what the answer to the question is. I know what would probably get you in trouble. Even if pistol OC is cool, Make sure he doesn't have a scope on a .44 mag lol.

In Oregon you can carry concealed without a permit if you are going to or from and Outdoor activity like hunting fishing or backpacking. So OC would also be legal.

It's been answered already, but this is something I posted on another thread and this topic comes up here quite often so I decided to just save it and past it in as an answer.

If you're carrying a firearm that is legal to hunt with during deer or elk season then you are required to have some kind of big game tag (at least in OR). It can be a cougar or bear tag, it doesn't have to be a deer/elk tag.
ODFW regs page 28 under "Hunting Prohibited". The link is a PDF. <broken link removed>

This is not true,

From the ODFW website --

In 1995, Oregon Legislators adopted Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 166.170 giving all authority to regulate possession of firearms solely to the Oregon Legislative Assembly.

In 2003, the Oregon Attorney General reviewed the statute and determined the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission (Commission) cannot limit what firearms can be carried or possessed during hunting seasons.
In the same opinion, the Oregon Attorney General confirmed that the Commission has statutory authority to regulate where, when, how and by whom wildlife are taken by hunting.
All ODFW hunting regulations and Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) have been modified to comply with these changes concerning the possession of firearms during hunting seasons.
The Commission still determines the season dates, open hunt areas, bag limits, and tag numbers for game species.
The Commission still determines the weapon type that can be legally used to hunt during a specified season

From the ODFW PDF <broken link removed> --

What authority does the Oregon Fish and
Wildlife Commission have related to fire
arms and hunting seasons?

The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has
statutory authority to regulate when, where and
what types of firearms can be used for hunting.
The Commission does not have the authority to
restrict a person’s ability to possess or carry
firearms.

The ODFW has legal control of what weapons you hunt with and when you hunt with them, but they cannot control what firearm is legally carried in the woods. Look at it like open carrying you hunting rifle, it's legal to do, so as long as your not hunting you can carry it.

You're good to go. To the best of my knowledge as long as the weapon is visible in a hip holster, no shoulder rigs, etc. you're fine.

You can carry pistol, rifle, blow dart gun or bazooka in a hip holster, shoulder rig, in your crack like Magnum PI or strap it to you forehead. Nowhere in the hunting regulations does it cover how to carry a firearm while hiking around in the woods with your buddy who is hunting. The hunting regulations only apply to hunters. In regards to hunters it clearly states

"The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has
statutory authority to regulate when, where and
what types of firearms can be used for hunting.
The Commission does not have the authority to
restrict a person’s ability to possess or carry
firearms.
"

As a corollary question,

I didn't get any tags this year (been too dagum busy), but say I went with some friends of a free weekend. Could I bring my .22LR for squirrels and rabbits if the opportunity presented itself?

will, Im pretty sure squirrels fall under varmints and you need just the basic hunting license. If your shooting and leaving you would be ok in all reality.. If your hauling them out to eat (wild rabbit is actually good) then buy the hunting license just to be safe..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top