Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Open carry while with a buddy hunting but no hunting license...?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by PDXWolf, Oct 25, 2013.

1. PDXWolf

PDXWolf Oregon Active Member

Interesting question and my googling hasn't found the answer yet...

Can someone open carry with someone who is hunting but they do not have a hunting license? My buddy wants to come up with me while I hunt. I open carry when I hunt and he would like to do the same but do NOT have a hunting license...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

You're good to go. To the best of my knowledge as long as the weapon is visible in a hip holster, no shoulder rigs, etc. you're fine.

3. PDXWolf

That's what I thought...I just didn't know if there was something silly with ODFW on the "intent" to hunt without hunting license or something like that

4. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Just as long as you're not hunting and your buddy decides to 'open carry" a hunting rifle. That's a sure fire way to get yourself in trouble. I OC, even though I have a CCW, when I bird hunt and so does my friend ( he doesn't have a CCW). Its pretty obvious that you're not duck hunting with a Glock.

Have a good one.

PDXWolf and (deleted member) like this.
  5. PDXWolf

Oh okay no...I can be slow at times...he just wants to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

He is not a hunter but I could use the company as I hate hunting alone and my group is unavailable.

THANKS!

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the answer to the question is. I know what would probably get you in trouble. Even if pistol OC is cool, Make sure he doesn't have a scope on a .44 mag lol.

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Hunting has nothing to do with OC. As long as OC is lawful, then OC as your heart desires.

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In Oregon you can carry concealed without a permit if you are going to or from and Outdoor activity like hunting fishing or backpacking. So OC would also be legal.

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

It's been answered already, but this is something I posted on another thread and this topic comes up here quite often so I decided to just save it and past it in as an answer.

This is not true,

From the ODFW website --

From the ODFW PDF Fast Facts About Firearm Possession --

The ODFW has legal control of what weapons you hunt with and when you hunt with them, but they cannot control what firearm is legally carried in the woods. Look at it like open carrying you hunting rifle, it's legal to do, so as long as your not hunting you can carry it.

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  10. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

You can carry pistol, rifle, blow dart gun or bazooka in a hip holster, shoulder rig, in your crack like Magnum PI or strap it to you forehead. Nowhere in the hunting regulations does it cover how to carry a firearm while hiking around in the woods with your buddy who is hunting. The hunting regulations only apply to hunters. In regards to hunters it clearly states

"The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has
    statutory authority to regulate when, where and
    what types of firearms can be used for hunting.
    The Commission does not have the authority to
    restrict a person’s ability to possess or carry
    firearms.
    "

11. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

As a corollary question,

I didn't get any tags this year (been too dagum busy), but say I went with some friends of a free weekend. Could I bring my .22LR for squirrels and rabbits if the opportunity presented itself?

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Wow, I loved hunting alone!

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Blades356mm

Blades356mm Portland Member

will, Im pretty sure squirrels fall under varmints and you need just the basic hunting license. If your shooting and leaving you would be ok in all reality.. If your hauling them out to eat (wild rabbit is actually good) then buy the hunting license just to be safe..