JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so... lets say one had a small pickup like a s10 or a ranger and no chl :(
needless to say this person wouldn't be the coolest, but how could he lawfully and safely transport a handgun?

the gun would need to be unloaded of course, but there isn't really a place to put the gun that is theoretically out of reach (ie no trunk). if the gun must be in plain sight, then it almost certainly will be within reach.

suggestions?

As I understand Oregon law, if you are not a CHL holder, you must have the firearm visible from at least three of the vehicles windows, unloaded, with any ammunition in a different compartment of the vehicle. It doesnt matter if the gun is within your reach or not, as long as you follow those guidelines. If I were you, I would have the pistol UNCOVERED, UNLOADED, on the passenger seat next to you, and have the bullets in the glove box if you are bringing any. If you are pulled over, make sure you tell the officer that it is there, that it is unloaded, and the ammo is in the glove box.

As I understand Oregon law, if you are not a CHL holder, you must have the firearm visible from at least three of the vehicles windows, unloaded, with any ammunition in a different compartment of the vehicle. It doesnt matter if the gun is within your reach or not, as long as you follow those guidelines. If I were you, I would have the pistol UNCOVERED, UNLOADED, on the passenger seat next to you, and have the bullets in the glove box if you are bringing any. If you are pulled over, make sure you tell the officer that it is there, that it is unloaded, and the ammo is in the glove box.

thanks for your interpretation treemanx! that is the kind of guidance i was looking for. i just recently purchased my first handgun and would rather play by the rules ;) a car with a trunk is an easy solution, but those of us with small trucks need to do some extra work to comply with the law and your suggestions sound like a good place to start...

I agree with Treemanx. The gun just need to be visible, unloaded, and separated from the ammo. I would suggest a locking case for the ammo kept behind the seat or preferably in a locking bed box.

I would also want to rig up some type of holster system to hold the firearm securely in place in a visible area so it is not just sliding around in the seat or on the dashboard.

Are you guys sure you are supposed to have the handgun in plain site when in a car/truck? I was told that in Oregon, you should have it in a case, unloaded, out of reach?
Are you saying I am in violation of the law every time i go to the range?
That i am supposed to have 4 unloaded handguns all in plain site in my car? Seems absurd if that is the law....also awful tempting for someone to break into my car when i stop at the store on the way there....

If u dont have ur concealed permit u have 2 choices in the way u carry ur fire arm. 1 is to have it unloaded and totally visible. The 2nd way is to have the gun in a secured box. Either way is legal. What every one have said is totally right. I work with cops every day and they help me stay legal and out of trouble. U must remember that every county is different. Save the time and hassel and just get ur concealed permit

I would really consider not having it out in plain sight. Should you get stopped, the LE person seeing it will not respond well.

Avoid the problems with the public and LE, put it in a case...take the high road here.

I would really consider not having it out in plain sight. Should you get stopped, the LE person seeing it will not respond well.

Avoid the problems with the public and LE, put it in a case...take the high road here.

I tend to agree.. so the firearm in my case is a glock that came with a hard case, but it is not really securable. would i be ok putting the pistol in the glock case, unloaded, and behind the seat? then place the magazines in the glove box?

thanks for everyone's input. this has been a very educational thread. i do plan on getting my permit, but i want to be in compliance until then.

The case does not need to be bullet proof or anything. I do believe even Glock cases are lockable (just put a padlock around the handle portions so it cannot open)....unless you have one of the old tupperware style boxes. :)

what if you had a locking glove box? maybe yours doesn't have one, but a higher trim model came with one, that you could get at a junkyard. you drive around with a fully functional tool in the glove box. the key is ALWAYS in the key hole. you stop at a store, the key goes in your pocket. you find yourself being pulled over, a simple twist & in your pocket it goes. this way you can drive around with an easily accessible tool that can be put safe in an instant. just thinking out loud. what do you folks think?

I tend to agree.. so the firearm in my case is a glock that came with a hard case, but it is not really securable. would i be ok putting the pistol in the glock case, unloaded, and behind the seat? then place the magazines in the glove box?

thanks for everyone's input. this has been a very educational thread. i do plan on getting my permit, but i want to be in compliance until then.

In a hard case, behind or under the passenger side seat, will keep it out of reach from you. You're good to go.....

I would ask this question to OFF (the link is up there with the other ad banners) I think you have more options than what I'm reading here on this thread.

I have been treated more than politely by leo's who have pulled me over and I don't think my having a chl made that difference. The few times I've been pulled over, one said "don't shoot me and we'll be fine." Another said "cool" and asked what I was wearing that day. You will probably be treated very well without bias if your within the law. Ask OFF.

Last Edited:
I would ask this question to OFF (the link is up there with the other ad banners) I think you have more options than what I'm reading here on this thread.

I have been treated more than politely by leo's who have pulled me over and I don't think my having a chl made that difference. The few times I've been pulled over, one said "don't shoot me and we'll be fine." Another said "cool" and asked what I was wearing that day. You will probably be treated very well without bias if your within the law. Ask OFF.

I completely agree... I even got some lenience one time with a Portland Officer who pulled me over for speeding. I have my CHL and was carrying. He chatted with me, he made a joke about not pulling my gun on him, and knocked the speed down on my ticket to only 5 mph over.

They totally appreciate you being up front with them about the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Not being a lawyer or sleeping at a Holiday Inn last night, it looks come down to being openly carried and visible or readily accessible....IMO in a plastic case with a lock is not readily accessible, add to that ant put it behind the back of the seat

emphasis added by me

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Department of Human Services under ORS 426.130; or

(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor’s parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [Amended by 1979 c.779 §4; 1985 c.543 §3; 1989 c.839 §13; 1993 c.732 §1; 1993 c.735 §12; 1999 c.1040 §1; 2001 c.666 §§33,45; 2003 c.614 §8]

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Sheriffs, constables, marshals, police officers, whether active or honorably retired, parole and probation officers or other duly appointed peace officers.

(b) Any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while said person so summoned is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) The possession or transportation by any merchant of unloaded firearms as merchandise.

(d) Active or reserve members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marine Corps of the United States, or of the National Guard, when on duty.

(e) Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons described in ORS 166.250 from the United States, or from this state.

(f) Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or the members thereof when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

(g) A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(2) Except for persons who are otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under ORS 166.250 (1)(c) or 166.270, ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect:

(a) Members of any club or organization, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets upon the established target ranges, whether public or private, while such members are using any of the firearms referred to in ORS 166.250 upon such target ranges, or while going to and from such ranges.

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

(3) The exceptions listed in subsection (1)(b) to (h) of this section constitute affirmative defenses to a charge of violating ORS 166.250. [Amended by 1977 c.207 §1; 1991 c.67 §36; 1993 c.735 §1; 1995 c.670 §2; 1999 c.1040 §3]

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top