JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny this thread was started. Yesterday while the family was at Costco a couple of guys came walking in and one of them took their jacket off to expose the 1911 on his hip. No big deal to us but there were numerous people pointing and intentionally making wide paths around him, as if the pistol was going to bite them. Honestly to me if I was a criminal, had intentions of robbing or shooting people and saw this guy, he would be the first to go. I never carry openly unless it is around the house or hunting. I like keeping the eliminate of surprise and allowing myself to decide whether or not to engage in a confrontation. Carrying open to me just adds unnecessary attention and drama that I really don't want to be involved in.
Unless I am at a rally for gun rights, I just assume to keep it concealed.
This is a very interesting topic and all about personal preference.

Hunting deers for food with a rifle. A backpack with a meal, hatchet, two skinning knives, box of bullets, string to tie off the piss tube, poncho, fire starter, first aid kit. Buck folding hunter on my belt, water. Wearing layers of warming clothes.
I don't carry a handgun, no room for one, extra weight.

I used to believe that open carry was irresponsible as it seemed to me a bad way to draw attention to yourself and make it hard for other gun owners.

Then I realized it's the only way to exercise your 2nd amendment right should you be in city/county/state which makes it illegal to carry concealed without government permission.

When concealed no longer needs the government permission I will then revisit issue but until then, I'm in 100% support of OC... even bubba.

If any of US were to do hanious things with a firearm then yes, the OC'ers would be the first targeted...

However, I've yet to see a mass shooting that was well planned and executed; people tend to get tunnel vision when in high stress situations.

I'd bet a shooter would have gone right past the guy, focused on the lines of people checking out.

Edit: I don't hide my tattoos because I'm worried a mass shooter will target me first because I look more threatening them others around me.

" What else would you add for a newcomer? "

A firearm is a tool simple and to the point, I don't carry around a screwdriver to advertise I know how to use it I might keep it on me in case I do. But a Firearm is same thing if your purpose of carrying open or conceal is to appear as a be a bad arse or let someone think you are Walker Texas Ranger then please stay home.
I am reminded of the same mind set of guys walking around town open carrying their AR or AK and hoping to get a cop on film. Gun owners already have a bad pictorial, please if you carry open or concealed remember when you carry you represent a larger group then yourself. And what you do affects us all .

Note : if you happen to be a bad arse then this rule does not apply carry on !;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, keep it in your pants! Open carry should be from house to car or truck of a long arm or hunting. Or standing up to BLM in Nevada. yes, I know we are all passionate about our 2A rights, but be careful people. These days the sight of a firearm scares many people.

Brutus Out

I understand and appreciate the OC position, and I might even give it a go on some September 12th, National OC Day. But so far, no - never, except briefly and unintentionally once or twice.

Earlier today a US warship passed nearby (>12 nmi) some disputed "islands" constructed by the Chinese, just to make a point. In our own puny way, maybe open-carriers are doing the same thing by striding confidently onto the MAX and riding into town. The act itself is the only thing standing between a presumed right and an extinct right.

In downtown Salt Lake City I saw someone OC'ing at the breakfast buffet in a fancy hotel. Right in the center of the city, at 9AM on a weekday morning. No one gave him a second glance. Heck, the two Canadians I was with didn't seem to care, as if it were what they fully expected in the US of A! That's all we could ask for: to normalize the idea of carrying, open or concealed.

open carry etiquette: carry concealed.
the idea of "normalizing" it is a pipe dream and will only get it outlawed.

Around here, and other places in the country where OC is pretty common, it already is demystified and normal. If you grew up in areas where the culture frowns upon it, the chances are you are biased.

For example a gun owner from Colville probably feels different about it than a gun owner in Seattle, so take that into consideration.

That being said I probably wouldn't OC west of the Cascades. I am aware of the culture and don't need laws banning it to make that decision.

Be very polite & humble! To the point that others cannot even see the OC.

Unless, of course, your situational awareness tells you a for real Bad Guy is near. If that becomes the case - you had better be able to switch hats real fast, and adjust to the situation, and assume risk & responsibility - because you just advertised. But Hey! someone's gotta do It!

First and foremost, I believe OC is a right. I think that anyone who can't think of a reason why somone may want/need to carry a rifle in public has either not lived long enough or is incredibly short sighted. I have only OCed a rifle for political rallies where it was obviously politically motivated. But I wholeheartedly believe it should be acceptable regardless. Just be respectful when you do. It shouldn't be about if you are OCing but the manner in which you are OCing. Even if it does keep some people from voting a certain way. I do not presume to tell another how they ought to practice their right. It's their right regardless. Just like I don't tell folks on Facebook that they ought not express their political views, It's the manner in which they express their views. As for pistol, for about 6 years I have done nothing but carried OWB. It's comfortable and fast. Wouldn't ever tell anyone they ought not carry OC. Just be respectful. Smile, hold doors, clean up after yourself, you know, things you should be doing anyway.

Eagle

I only advise students to open carry if they would like to spend their days aggravating and frightening soccer moms, fending off kids touching your gun or explaining yourself to the police more than 6 times in an afternoon.

The only place that I open carry is on the range during classes, unless the course of fire involves clearing the concealment garment away.
If that's been your experience while OC'ing then you're doing something to draw attention.
I OC all the time and have never had an issue.
I have had many positive encounters.
I've never been questioned by law enforcement but they have thanked me for carrying. I once had a Lakewood cop at American Lake ask me what kind of 1911 I had. He had a springfield and was thinking about a Sig 1911 which is what I was carrying that day.

If that's been your experience while OC'ing then you're doing something to draw attention.
I OC all the time and have never had an issue.
I have had many positive encounters.
I've never been questioned by law enforcement but they have thanked me for carrying. I once had a Lakewood cop at American Lake ask me what kind of 1911 I had. He had a springfield and was thinking about a Sig 1911 which is what I was carrying that day.

I am glad that your experiences have been this way; given that crazy old men are tackling CCW holders at Walmart and the EveryTown/Moms Against.... Grievance groups are encouraging people to call 911 and report OC and CCW folks as "man with a gun." Just seems to me to be a hassle.

However, if you want to see how truly accepting people and LE are of your choice in firearms carry, open carry your handgun when picking up your child at school.

Let me know how that works out for you.

However, if you want to see how truly accepting people and LE are of your choice in firearms carry, open carry your handgun when picking up your child at school.

Let me know how that works out for you.

It would very greatly depending on the school. You're from Portland... not every place in the state is Portland level scared of firearms.

I know several people who do carry OWB and pick their child up from school, granted they don't walk in. They just wait by the car.

The presence of a firearm is not a reason to assume someone is being unlawful, just like the presence of a car isn't reason to assume someone is going to speed.

I guess what I am saying is the LEO better be "Okay" with it... ya, know, because it is legal in the state of Oregon (with valid CCW) provided you have not been asked to leave and have chosen to remain on the premises.:s0055: (I insert this banana riding a green lama as proof of being right) ;)

Eagle

Edit: clarification and a word.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews