JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am glad that your experiences have been this way; given that crazy old men are tackling CCW holders at Walmart and the EveryTown/Moms Against.... Grievance groups are encouraging people to call 911 and report OC and CCW folks as "man with a gun." Just seems to me to be a hassle.

However, if you want to see how truly accepting people and LE are of your choice in firearms carry, open carry your handgun when picking up your child at school.

Let me know how that works out for you.
If you wish to pander to hoplophobes and the ignorant that is your decision.
I, however, will not be bullied into compliance when I am not a criminal.
Some people will always be against guns. There is nothing you can do about them.
While everybody else is worried about the possibility of offending someone I just go about my business.

It would very greatly depending on the school. You're from Portland... not every place in the state is Portland level scared of firearms.

I know several people who do carry OWB and pick their child up from school, granted they don't walk in. They just wait by the car.

The presence of a firearm is not a reason to assume someone is being unlawful, just like the presence of a car isn't reason to assume someone is going to speed.

I guess what I am saying is the LEO better be "Okay" with it... ya, know, because it is legal in the state of Oregon (with valid CCW) provided you have not been asked to leave and have chosen to remain on the premises.:s0055: (I insert this banana riding a green lama as proof of being right) ;)

Eagle

Edit: clarification and a word.

I would venture to guess that given what has happened in schools in Oregon (Springfield, Roseburg, Portland) and around the country (Newtown CT, Aurora CO) and at the Clackamas Town Center mall that if you showed up to pick up your child with your gun strapped to your hip you are going to receive an amount of scrutiny and attention the likes of which you may never have experienced. This is based upon panicky school officials and super sensitive soccer moms who are going to make you the reason for their possible involuntary defecation they just experienced upon seeing you.

Waiting in your car is one thing; get out and go get them from the line-up of kids out front of the school in front of everyone where they can see your gun. When they spot you, the media driven experience of the average frightened soccer-sheep is going to put it together like this:

Guy with gun visible + School Grounds + Students Getting Out Of School = AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!! HELP!!!! 911!!!!!

Everything is an "assault rifle" to them. They aren't going to approach you and ask you kindly to leave. They are going to get on their cell phones and start screaming about a "man with a gun" at their school.

What do you think is going to happen next?

I am not saying you aren't within the law; but you are going to cause yourself a lot of unnecessary grief. The sheep have a lot of irrational fear because they are sheep. And while the lions need not take heed of their flawed and misinformed opinions, they should be mindful of how it will affect the lions.

If you wish to pander to hoplophobes and the ignorant that is your decision.
I, however, will not be bullied into compliance when I am not a criminal.
Some people will always be against guns. There is nothing you can do about them.
While everybody else is worried about the possibility of offending someone I just go about my business.

I am pandering to no one, and I am not against open carry. I think it is unwise, but in this country you are free to do unwise things. What good would freedom be if you couldn't?

I just know that in this time of overzealous LE and soccer sheep mini-van moms that I prefer to go about my day with less aggravation in my usual daily interactions. I worry less about the offense I give versus what the offended will do in order to seek redress

Spending my time pulling out my CHL for officers who are responding to 911 calls from the hoplophobes is not something I want to pencil into my calendar.

Interesting how this thread started with suggestions on how to properly open carry with good etiquette and it's turning into a pro/anti open carry thread.

Person preferences aside as to where and when (within legal boundaries) are acceptable but criticizing one for their preference is a division the firearms community doesn't need. I believe the vast majority of open and concealed carriers would agree that the open carry of a long gun to pick up a child from school is a bad idea.

The daily ins and outs of our routine. TheYankeeMarshall (IIRC he is on here under a different name) open carries in his daily routine. That's the type of advice I was hoping to fill this thread with, not the swords crossing morally high ground of right vs wrong.

Don't forget that the soccer moms tried:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/12/oregon_moms_deliver_groceriesn.html
locally on this to force a store and the store said no thanks. You guys are acting like you fear these soccer moms and knitting grandmothers. They have no more power than you and I, they are organized and that's the difference. They have a single goal, we meanwhile sit and bicker back and forth on is it morally right or wrong to open carry with a leather or kydex holster (not really but it shows the small differences we complain about).

I guess I'll just have to post stuff like this on OpenCarry.org if I'm wanting civilized discourse. I would rather not seek a place like that though because I really wanted both sides, that's why I put the word etiquette in the title.

:s0146::s0137:
and yes I will continue to open carry a pistol for political statement because I can anywhere I can conceal carry. A right unexercised is a right lost.
<--- this guy?:s0051:

If it's actually etiquette you're inquiring about...
Generally Etiquette is defined as, the formal manners and rules that are followed in social or professional settings.
The social "grease" that allows groups of people to rub elbows without over-heating.

So I then take that to simply mean you should open carry where it's common and expected by the professional or social setting and attendees you are going to be a part of...and to concealed carry anywhere it's legal to do so.

Strapping a rifle to your back to go to WalMart would be considered poor etiquette,
as it could make most attending that social/professional setting uncomfortable. The reason(s) why or even if you think they shouldn't be uncomfortable doesn't enter into the discussion any more than whether you should or shouldn't remove your shoes when entering a traditional Japanese home. The only breach of etiquette in either case would be if they are rude and unforgiving to you when pointing out your gaff.

Poor etiquette would also be someone soliciting the opinions of a group of people and then having a tantrum if that someone doesn't like all the opinions received.

Why does everybody here automatically equate open carry with a rifle?
Most here have never OC'd and never will.
All of you should go to opencarry.org
Check out the Washington and Oregon sub forums. There are several threads dedicated solely to day to day OC. One is titled the "south sound open carry report."
It's really very boring reading which is the point. It's page after page of people writing where they've been and what happened.
It's mostly, "went to Walmart. Nothing happened. As usual."
Now how many are willing to keep an open mind? Or are you guys going to keep bickering with friends?
It amazes me how many of you guys say dumb stuff like, "I support the 2nd amendment but..."

Poor etiquette would also be someone soliciting the opinions of a group of people and then having a tantrum if that someone doesn't like all the opinions received.

Opinions are like feet. Almost everyone has them and those with them, all of them stink.

Not sure about Oregon but in WA you are only legal if you stay in your car with the gun or leave the car and the gun in it.

You can not be on school property with a firearm with the exception of pickup or drop off in your car.

OC or CC doesn't matter.

Not sure about Oregon but in WA you are only legal if you stay in your car with the gun or leave the car and the gun in it.

You can not be on school property with a firearm with the exception of pickup or drop off in your car.

OC or CC doesn't matter.

dont you have to have a Wa. CHL to legally posess a firearm on school grounds? OC od CC regardless...

Nay Koda. You cannot on school grounds in WA regardless of CPL etc.

Nay Koda. You cannot on school grounds in WA regardless of CPL etc.
well that sucks for you guys, and visitors.... so if Im traveling thru Wa. (with my Wa. CHL) and passing by or thru a school zone are we required to temporarily disarm and lock the firearm in the trunk ( or otherwise per federal tranportation law)?

(PS. in Oregon with a CHL we can even enter the school carrying, OC or CC)

well that sucks for you guys, and visitors.... so if Im traveling thru Wa. (with my Wa. CHL) and passing by or thru a school zone are we required to temporarily disarm and lock the firearm in the trunk ( or otherwise per federal tranportation law)?

Your CC is fine as long and it stays in the car, either on you or secured somehow.

You just can't get out to get your kid here.

Perhaps it should be illegal in Oregon to go on school property with a firearm...

I mean if people in this thread think it hurts other more "common sense" gun owners.

If you don't like it I recommend you call Floyd Prozanski 503-986-1704. I'm sure he would be happy to use you as a poster child.

I refuse to apologize for the idea that I should be able to pick up my future children from school in a manner in which it forces me to be unarmed, or in an altered carrying state than what I normally carry.

Again, a presence of a firearm is no more evidence of willingness to do wrong than a presence of a car is evidence of speeding.

:s0055:(more green lama as proof I am correct)

Love that animation.

Eagle

That where the legal 3" folding knife I have comes into play.

I may not stop an assault squad with it but given a little situational awareness and training, you can stop some idiot kid with a handful of stolen guns.

these "gun free zones" are literally killing us. Its beyond me how anyone cant see the stupidity of them even if they dont support gun rights.

Difference between school property and school zone (road).

:mad:

Your CC is fine as long and it stays in the car, either on you or secured somehow.

You just can't get out to get your kid here.
RCW 9.41.280 doesn't actually say you can't get out of the car. It only says you can't bring the gun into the building.

I fully support the right to OC. I choose not to do so though for OPSEC. My main concern with OPSEC is I have 10+ years experience with how the minds of low-lives work who have little to lose. If you end up criss-cross with a lowlife and cops get involved, it's not much of a stretch to think you'll be accused of pulling your weapon on him if he knows you're armed. If he doesn't know, some may roll the dice and accuse you anyway. But not near as likely as if he knows you're armed.

As far as the comment earlier about representing all of us when packing--I see the point and agree on some level. But at the same time, I value the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. None of my rights should depend on whether somebody plays nice or is a jerk. And I'll go another step and say that my rights shouldn't depend on whether I am personally playing nice or being a jerk as long as I'm not engaging in illegal conduct.

I get that, practically speaking, it does have an influence. But that is indicative of our broken system rather than the appropriateness of it mattering.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top