JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I fully support the right to OC. I choose not to do so though for OPSEC. My main concern with OPSEC is I have 10+ years experience with how the minds of low-lives work who have little to lose. If you end up criss-cross with a lowlife and cops get involved, it's not much of a stretch to think you'll be accused of pulling your weapon on him if he knows you're armed. If he doesn't know, some may roll the dice and accuse you anyway. But not near as likely as if he knows you're armed.

As far as the comment earlier about representing all of us when packing--I see the point and agree on some level. But at the same time, I value the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. None of my rights should depend on whether somebody plays nice or is a jerk. And I'll go another step and say that my rights shouldn't depend on whether I am personally playing nice or being a jerk as long as I'm not engaging in illegal conduct.

I get that, practically speaking, it does have an influence. But that is indicative of our broken system rather than the appropriateness of it mattering.

You!

You and I can be friends!

Eagle

I fully support the right to OC. I choose not to do so though for OPSEC. My main concern with OPSEC is I have 10+ years experience with how the minds of low-lives work who have little to lose. If you end up criss-cross with a lowlife and cops get involved, it's not much of a stretch to think you'll be accused of pulling your weapon on him if he knows you're armed. If he doesn't know, some may roll the dice and accuse you anyway. But not near as likely as if he knows you're armed.

As far as the comment earlier about representing all of us when packing--I see the point and agree on some level. But at the same time, I value the 2nd Amendment as an individual right. None of my rights should depend on whether somebody plays nice or is a jerk. And I'll go another step and say that my rights shouldn't depend on whether I am personally playing nice or being a jerk as long as I'm not engaging in illegal conduct.

I get that, practically speaking, it does have an influence. But that is indicative of our broken system rather than the appropriateness of it mattering.
Very well written.

"I conceal for protection, I open carry for political reasons."

I OC'd in Cody Wyoming, but it was not a big deal there. I OC in Oregon at times, outside of any towns. I might do it in a very small town, outside the valley. It's tougher here than Wyoming though, which has no law whatever about OC, and has full pre-emption, unlike Oregon's half-assed version. You need to know the ordinances in every municipality you might carry.

I'd say, if you are going to OC in town, leave the long gun at home. You make the political point just fine with a pistol or revolver. Additionally, a long gun is an offensive weapon while handguns are defensive, so in town, handguns just naturally make sense in a way no long gun ever can. I always thought long gun OC guys sitting in a Starbucks looked a bit silly (just a personal opinion).

"it is legal in the state of Oregon (with valid CCW)"

Is that true? You need a CC permit to OC in Oregon? That makes little sense to me...

Last Edited:
IIRC,
city of Portland, anywhere in Mult Co., Astoria, Beaverton, Salem, Newport,

and the city parks in McMinville...:rolleyes:

Unloaded open carry is allowed everywhere.

Loaded open carry is allowed everywhere except a few places.

Any open carry does not require a permit.

Not sure if this falls under open carry or not , Mods please feel free to move or delete.
My friend and I have about 30 or so original muzzleloading and antique firearms. We often take and display our collection at various public venues .
We then discuss the history and use of these firearms.
Our display is a hands on experience , we encourage people to handle our guns.
Before doing so however , I give a safety talk and show how to tell if our guns are empty also I stress how important it is to always know where the muzzle of your gun is pointed.
We have been told a number of times that our presentation has lessened someone's fear of guns or gun owners.
So I guess the point of my long ramble is if you are out and about with your firearm , be polite and mindful of what you and your firearm can represent to others.
Andy

"cussing like a sailor." what a load of manure. I have had it with the profiling of sailors as being dirty mouthed louts.
But if your a marine we meant every word.:p

"Etiquette". Well I'd think that if you clocked a child in the soft spot, full hip swing, with the butt of a 7 1/2" .44, you'd at least tip your hat to the marm. or something

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top