JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a proponent of open carry in a respectable and classy way. I want to get that out so I'm not mistaken of a Chipotle carrying, SKS on condition 1 type of person.

Starting a thread on classy ways to properly present a firearm (in your opinion) that shows/displays the pro-2nd amendment people in a good way.

I conceal for protection, I open carry for political reasons.

Handguns:
  1. Don't touch unless it's coming out of holster to be used on a criminal where life is being threatened.
  2. Skip the dropleg....
Rifles:
  1. Sling it and leave it. No reason to carry it around in your hands.
  2. Muzzle direction. I was at a rally in Salem early this year and walked over to a gentleman to tell him I have watched him sweep the crowd twice and we would appreciate him not giving the Anti's something to post on their blogs. The problem is he was carrying it muzzle down, then wanted to go muzzle up and back and forth.
  3. Keep your finger away from trigger. Assume there is ALWAYS somebody wanting to use your lapse of judgement for a reason why we are irresponsible.
Please and thank you are always a good thing. Open doors for strangers, be polite and maybe you shouldn't be using foul language and cussing like a sailor. You ARE representing every other carrier at that exact moment.

For those who do Open Carry:
What else would you add for a newcomer?

Last Edited:
" What else would you add for a newcomer? "

I'd tell a newcomer,
"Ballots and letters to the editor are for political statements, so unless you're on the ranch or hunting, when there's other people around learn to keep it in your pants...
...and don't fiddle with it in public."

If you open carry to make a statement, you'll most likely make many people uncomfortable about guns. Those same people will be voting in the next election.

If you open carry to make a statement, you'll most likely make many people uncomfortable about guns. Those same people will be voting in the next election.

I hate to agree...

IF I open carry it is to make a statement. I'll carry something large like a stainless 6" GP100 with a nice leather holster and grips.

I hardly ever do (in town) anymore though because it only takes one idiot to over react - then you get to waste your time being questioned by the police only to let you go.

While it's not often that I do OC, typically it is a GP100 in stainless and a leather holster. It looks good when dressed nice in some slacks and a button up shirt. Myself personally I do not OC rifles.

I see a little anti-open carry sentiment here.

I do agree that those people will be voting next time it's good to show John and Mary Q Public that a firearm is not a dangerous thing.

Remember the article from the guy in England who called the police over a .22LR in the gutter?

People should see that there are respectable people walking around with them, not just thugs and gangsters.

Most people are completely oblivious.

And personally, I think OCing to make a point or statement is stupid. But OCing while going about your business for a million other good reasons is something every free citizen of this earth should be able to do.

Alot of people carry the same way all the time. When their coat or sweatshirt is over it it is concealed. When it's not it's not.

While it's not often that I do OC, typically it is a GP100 in stainless and a leather holster. It looks good when dressed nice.

People should see that there are respectable people walking around with them, not just thugs and gangsters.

That's a big part of why I stopped OC'ing; I have to shave and dress up a little bit to hide expanding tattoos, and a generally unapproachable demeanor in public unless I'm being aware of my body language. My wife tells me a lot to stop scowling lol:D.

I can draw from concealment in 1.2 seconds. Open in under one second that .3 seconds could save my bubblegum. I carry both ways. Open around property cc in town

The bases are pretty much covered:

DON'T touch the gun unless there's a pressing reason it needs to leave the holster.

DON'T dress like a hell's angel, gang banger, tweaker, or otherwise thuggery-inclined stereotype.

Long guns in town generally make you look like an bubblegum-clown, the possible exceptions being a big rally, or S has HTF. An organized political rally with people obeying all the firearm safety rules is one thing. A single guy taking his AR for a walk down main street is another, and is more likely to push people to the anti-side. We don't need that.

DON'T purposefully look for a confrontation. DON'T aggravate the police or the general citizenry.

DON'T do it just for your stupid YouTube channel.

DON'T forget that how you present yourself, what you say to people, and how you act doesn't just reflect on you, it reflects upon all gun owners. Act like a bubba and perpetuate the stereotype, and help push the anti agenda. Act like an intelligent, reasonable, safe and sane person and you chip away at the bad image the media and the antis portray of us.

DO obey property owners/managers wishes, and don't carry your gun openly where it's posted no guns. If you're asked to leave - leave the first time they ask. Leave politely. Don't argue. Don't shout. Be respectful. See the above paragraph.

DO be prepared to answer questions from curious public, have an idea how to respond. Think before you speak so that you have a thoughtful response and don't sound like a Bubba.

Also - keep your situational awareness a notch or two up from if you carry concealed. You have an exposed handgun on your hip. Unless you're a cop it's probably not in a snatch resistant holster. Don't walk around with your head in the clouds. Know who and what is around you. For those who say "open carry stops crime and no one can point to a civillian being disarmed by a criminal" - it happened this year in Gresham at a max stop. A guy open carrying his brand new gun had a criminal get the drop on him and rob him of his brand new blaster. EVERYONE can and will see your gun - good guys, bad guys, and inbetween. Remember it's not a talisman that wards off evil. Something evil may come your way still, only now you don't have that tactical advantage of looking like prey while having the fangs of a predator.

I OC'ed once in Silverton on accident. Was hunting and we stopped for breakfast, totally forgot.I was carrying my Glock. No one seemed to care.
Open carrying a handgun in Silverton/Molalla/Carlton/Yamhill/Vernonia etc. during hunting season is completely different from walking around in front of a school in Beaverton carrying an AR-15.

Open carry of long guns to make a political statement is, in my opinion, about as effective at carrying the message as flag burning. Both are forms of free speech and ought to be allowed, but both are also offensive and counterproductive.

Handguns=defensive weapons. Long guns=offensive weapons. That's the perception, whether we like it or not.

Open carrying a handgun in Silverton/Molalla/Carlton/Yamhill/Vernonia etc. during hunting season is completely different from walking around in front of a school in Beaverton carrying an AR-15.

Open carry of long guns to make a political statement is, in my opinion, about as effective at carrying the message as flag burning. Both are forms of free speech and ought to be allowed, but both are also offensive and counterproductive.

Handguns=defensive weapons. Long guns=offensive weapons. That's the perception, whether we like it or not.

I'd say it's all in how you present yourself. Dress like some neckbeard clown with an AK and you should be mocked.

Open carry in public is dumb. I only open carry at home.

I ask people that open carry 1 thing: Would you wear a t-shirt in public with your name, bank account number and bank balance on it?

I wouldn't. That is all information that no one needs to know. Would I be just as crazy to scream it at everyone in the food court at the mall? Yeah. Having a right to do something doesn't make it publicly acceptable or advisable. I can stand in the middle of Walmart or a public street and scream about religion and free speech, but that doesn't make it OK to do.

Just like whether or not I am armed. Screaming it at the sissy hoplophobes with open carry is just an aggravation I don't need.

And sometimes, letting the wolf think you are a sheep has its advantages. ;)

I only advise students to open carry if they would like to spend their days aggravating and frightening soccer moms, fending off kids touching your gun or explaining yourself to the police more than 6 times in an afternoon.

The only place that I open carry is on the range during classes, unless the course of fire involves clearing the concealment garment away.

I am in favor of Open Carry, But I won't do it to make a point.
Likewise CC.

I was asked some years ago by an acquaintance who is LEO why I got my CC. He tried to back off - as he knew that was none of his business and we were not just friends.
But the answer then is the answer now.

Some cops have a bad day.

What is open carry?

Walking down town Seattle to scare people? Or, loading the hunting rifle into the car parked in the apartments lot?

How about CC? If I have a pistol on the car seat and my hat covers part of it, that is concealed. Or if my jacket covers a pistol on the hip.

Shooting the rifle at Brown's camp, I am going to have a loaded pistol on my hip. That is open carry for me.

My rule:
Do not do anything which would be terrorizing to our sheeple neighbors.

You can't help it if they freak out themselves.
My wife's girl friend came into town to visit. Got off the Max and walked to our house. She later told me that when she saw my American flag, and the Jeep in the driveway she was afraid she would be shot. I didn't tell her I had a pistol in my hand when I opened the door (she not having set a time to arrive) nor did I tell her I was CC while we were all out for dinner in downtown PDX. I didn't need to provoke her (Nor did I want to sleep under the jeep if I pissed off the Mrs.

On one hand I agree that we shouldn't be out there trying to "scare" the sheeple, but on the other hand, consider the fact that people are more likely to fear what they are unfamiliar with or never see. People do not fear what is not uncommon. So what we need to figure out is how expose the public to these ideas, without flooding them with "offensive stimuli."

The fact of the matter is, if we continue to closet ourselves, this irrational fear that the sheeple have is only going to get worse, and our future will be nothing short of bleak. I prefer to only do open carry in rallies or organized demonstrations, those with signs where it is clear that a point is being made, as opposed to Captain Neckbeard strutting his 400lb carcass down main street with a cheap AR.

I have nothing against pistol open carry, I see no reason, political or otherwise to open carry a rifle in public places. On your property, out in the woods, yeah, it makes lots of sense. In Fred Meyer, no.

I do really question the 'political' side of open carry. I've heard many claim they do it to show that gun owners can be trusted. It's a great argument, but, in reality, are we winning anyone over by doing it? Can anyone point to people who's minds have been changed by it? All I ever hear about open carry are the times when someone calls the cops and it ends up in the media or one of the YT commando jacka$$es go out looking for an argument.

Here's how I handle the political side. I carry concealed everywhere it's legal to do so. I don't tell anyone, for the most part. But, if I really trust someone, someone who has known me a long time and has an issue with guns, I do occasionally share with them that I carry, and have been doing so for years. After they get past the initial shock, and sometimes expression of concern, I ask them - have you ever had reason, in the years you've known me, to fear me? Have you ever seen me do anything foolish? Be aggressive? Look for a fight? Act irrational in any way? If so, then is there any reason to fear me carrying? To date, using that tactic, which, of course takes a lot of time, has never backfired.

When I came 'out' to my inlaws, I was kind of concerned, but they had been asking about getting a gun for self-defense at home and had the usual, media-fueled fears. I took the risk and let them know I had been carrying around them for years. As expected, initial concern, that quickly turned to questions, which I took the time to answer, and then we moved on. It was a non-issue, but it was so because they knew me, and knew I was someone that can be trusted. Occasionally they'll ask another question, but since that time, they have moved (Dems), more to the right, or at least the center from their hard-left leaning politics regarding some issues, such as guns. Why? I think in part because their son-in-law is not a demonic OK Corral style gun fighter just waiting for the next duel as the media likes to portray us. Their eyes have opened, but it took time.

For those that do wish to open carry, I do ask, do you have real examples of people's minds being changed by seeing someone open carry, that isn't LEO? I'm not asking to be an a$$, but I am genuinely curious.

Dunno if I have ever changed anyone's mind (only being mugged and badly beaten would do that to a lot of folks unfortunately), but I have educated quite a few people on everything from open carry to safetyq

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top