JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forty percent of America's gun owners have not received any formal firearms training, according to a new study from the University of Washington (UW) School of Public Health.

The study, published in the journal Injury Prevention, is the first of its kind in more than 20 years. In those two decades, "that number hasn't meaningfully changed at all," says Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, an associate professor of epidemiology at UW and the study's lead author. In 1994, two surveys found that about 56 to 58 percent of US gun owners had received formal firearms training. "Now that number stands at about 61 percent," says Rowhani-Rahbar. "It basically shows that, while training programs do exist—those that the NRA is running and that other gun advocacy groups are running—the reality is that they're not reaching a larger fraction of gun owners than they used to many years ago."

The study uses data from a nationally representative online survey of nearly 4,000 people. It found that among gun owners, men reported receiving more training (66 percent) than women (49 percent). People who purchased a gun for protection were far less likely to have received training (57 percent for handgun owners and 47 percent for long gun owners) than those who owned guns for hunting and sport shooting (approximately 68 percent). Training includes instruction on gun storage, safe handling, and preventing accidents.

Only 3 In 5 Gun Owners Have Received Firearms Training – Mother Jones

I believe it. I've seen more than one person at a LGC that obviously didn't know which end the bullet comes out of buying their first gun. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of doctors who have received years of formal training and still don't know what they are doing. Nothing against doctors but more people died from misdiagnosis last week than from law abiding gun owners. Just saying.

And the ones who buy a gun for self defense and don't seek out appropriate training are the ones we read about in the news being arrested after shooting at someone who is running away and no longer poses a threat. They have no idea when the use of deadly force is allowed or not allowed.

Ah ... one of the pitfalls and burdens of responsible citizenship. Would we hop into a high performance home built airplane and attempt to fly it without extensive flight hours, experience and personal education on exactly what we will be getting into? No way. Dangerous.

Yet like already said better, so many non august citizens go out and buy a firearm without ANY background firearms TRAINING? None at all? This MIGHT be a case where the gun shop is neglecting an obligation? Seems to me ownership and training are one and the same?

You can not have one without the other. And it might go beyond simple one time events at the classroom and range to qualify for a handgun permit or concealed carry license. Training should be ongoing and extensive. Also expensive? I am due for a refresher course. $Yikes!$

And the ones who buy a gun for self defense and don't seek out appropriate training are the ones we read about in the news being arrested after shooting at someone who is running away and no longer poses a threat. They have no idea when the use of deadly force is allowed or not allowed.
Dunno bout that. Pretty sure I know my state laws in regards to self defense without taking the class.

Then again, a criminal law course gets you into reading the different laws your state has. :rolleyes:

Dunno bout that. Pretty sure I know my state laws in regards to self defense without taking the class.

That is you, but what about those first time gun buyers who have no idea of what the use of force laws are in their state. No to mention not knowing basic safe gun handling.

There's training and then there's training.
Jeff Cooper, the father of modern pistol craft and the training thereof, always said that the best shots/shooters were and are self taught.
This is a classic and interesting video of him talking about just that..

Then again, how many of those "No Formal Classes" types just strap on and how many do Independent Study of at least equal effort and intensity to a standard class?

You never know if they're a Bubba, or somebody like me who despite no "points" on the CV has a well-stocked and well-read library on use of the sidearm in personal protection, and has reaped the benefit of informally training alongside active LEO's on the range and managing to Not Totally Suck by their standards.

(Do note, though, that this does NOT equal opposition to formal training; I have classes with Ayoob and several others on the To Do List as soon as budget and mobility allow.)

What do they consider "formal" training? I for one learned about firearms from my parents at an early age.I'm sure that the survey didn't take into account this type of training, it wouldn't fit into their agenda. Sure later I had to take hunter safety class and the classwork/range session when getting my CHL but that's only because they were required.

Another question is how many people would actually know their laws. Or how many even remember.

Another problem is occasionally misinformation is spread at gun counters, and sometimes it happens at stores that offers classes. There's a reason why a person should take the time to learn their state laws.

Just because someone takes a class doesn't mean they are trained.

I've had to take a number of formal classes for various reasons. Most were not that great.

Almost all of what I know I learned from my father.

I was the only guy in the beginner's handgun class I took to get my CHL. The rest were all women. the instructor said that is pretty typical since guys often think they have a natural born understanding of firearms and women want to make sure they know how to handle a firearm safely.

we all know the people that constantly dump garbage into the outdoor shooting areas didnt take a class. If they dont know that shooting full paint cans in the forest is not appropriate, they dont even consider a class to learn something. Surprised they even know what hole to shove food into.

Learned first to shoot from my father, then from others, eventually took some more advanced classes in concealed carry. I also learn by watching folks at the range and by participating in events like Service Rifle. Lots of good ways to get training. I also find most gun folks are all to happy to share their experience and expertise if someone is open to hearing it.

Some people buy a firearm for target shooting and don't think they need any training. Some people learned from shooting BBguns. Some people think "Well you put shells in one end, pull trigger, and bang, the bullet goes out the other end". They may think "What else is there to know". Ignorance abounds and always will... just look at modern voting trends to confirm this.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top