JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
o_O
Ok, you win... But only cause you out copy/pasted me. :p

Kidding, were probably on the same page... All I got is this:

Meaning of the words in the Second Amendment

Hey, I won.... its all that matters. :D

IMG_4454.JPG

Just because you never took a "carbine class" doesn't mean you aren't proficient with a weapon.

define proficiency...? Every time I visit a public range around others I get swept with a muzzle, some of those same guys can hit a fly off their target at 200yds. Proficiency includes more than just marksmanship.

The problem with informal instruction is the time it takes to learn. Much longer time with potentially unsafe handling and instruction. I agree it can be done, but I don't know of any free training instructional.

I think the big delimma with the training debate is really more about how much is needed, not a lot in my opinion. I don't think there needs to be any expectation that every gun owner has to be a "tactical operator", I just think people need to know the basics of being safe at the minimum. A lot of good experience can come from a basic NRA safety class, a good RSO at a private club reigns in most errors too. But stores will sell you a gun and not even mention a class, and private gun clubs are expensive to join with often long wait times to join. That and what I see out shooting on public lands is that many many people buy their new guns and never take any class, and it really shows. Just visit any gun store and count how many times your swept with a muzzle and then ask them to stop and they get mad and tell you they've been handling guns all their lives. Well, they've been handling them anyways...

One aspect of training that can really mold or wreck something up is the trainer's idiosyncrasies.
Using myself as an example:
I do like not to rely on or use a mechanical safety on a firearm.*
*Note:
When hunting if the terrain is treacherous I will unload , unprime or uncap my rifle.
I insist on mechanical safeties myself, but they're not so much for me as so that if some bum-sucking arsenugget manages to pry it out of my hand they have to figure out how to Turn The Damn Thing On before they can use it. :)

Addendum to prior: That, and the act of disengaging the safety is a last-second "Are You SURE About Taking This Shot?" check. We all train that the decision to pull the trigger should not be made lightly, but we also all know what people do and how little things get magnified into bigger-looking things in the heat of the moment...

Makes sense ... My biggest dislike of using a safety , is that it can lead to a false sense of security.
How many times have we heard:
"I thought the safety was on?"
Note to all :
I am not saying that one should not use a safety.
I am saying not to solely rely on one to keep you "safe".
And that I choose not to use one.

Also most of my guns do not have a safety per se ... many only have a half cock notch ... and some don't even have that...
Andy

mechanical safeties are a good example.

Guns with safeties guns without, are all striker fired guns Double Action? What about the ones with a mechanical safety? Do you engage the safety when you "move and shoot"... the Glock guys dont have to why should I? What about a DA revolver?

All these different guns and actions out there and if you ask these questions on a gun forum you get a 100 different answers, from gun owners..... and thats the problem.

The cost of good training is too often costly and out of reach of a lot of people.

I know instructors need to make money, but 500.00 for a two day class is a bit much.

Oregon Firearms Academy kept their prices down, thus they got a lot of biz....unfortunately they shut down.

The cost of good training is too often costly and out of reach of a lot of people.

I know instructors need to make money, but 500.00 for a two day class is a bit much.

Oregon Firearms Academy kept their prices down, thus they got a lot of biz....unfortunately they shut down.

I got to take some OFA classes, so I guess that puts me among the 3 out of 5. I wish they were still around.

$500/16hr of instruction = $31.25/hr per student. Factor in consumables like books, range fees, and insurance costs... some instructors do have Value Adds that make it worth it though, like I think a few used to offer lifetime refreshers Once Upon A Time.

And then you have to factor in travel costs and other overhead... it ain't cheap to go from class to plane to class to plane hopping around the country like Ayoob does, or to maintain a large and well-equipped facility like Thunder Ranch.

Maybe... Depends on what you call expensive, you can get fiream training at the Clackamas Sheriffs public safety training center for well under $200 for some classes.

Just submitted my LLC paperwork for starting a shooting school up the gorge...will be up and running next spring. Cost will be 200-250 for a two day class.

Standby for more details as they come available.

The key to this thread is "formal training" the brightest kids on the planet right now are home schooled. The most important thing about formal training is getting the instructor a pay check. Off course, I am not a big proponent of public education either. In the couple of hundred years it has been around.......all it has done is dub down our population.

The key to this thread is "formal training" the brightest kids on the planet right now are home schooled. The most important thing about formal training is getting the instructor a pay check. Off course, I am not a big proponent of public education either. In the couple of hundred years it has been around.......all it has done is dub down our population.

I see what you did thier. And I agree.
;)

~Whitney

The laws about firing warning shots into someone's head are one thing, learning things not covered by law, like safe handling, care and so forth are another.

I am one of those who carried rifles and pistols in the 50's. Still, I'm fully aware I could learn a lot, and some of my experiences and lessons might be rusty and in need of sanding, priming and painting.

I guess it isn't clear to me who decides what training you need to exercise a God given right.

I dont believe that was ever brought up in this thread or even anyone here advocated such a requirement?

Most all drivers have received formal training, and all of them had to pass a test to demonstrate driving skill and knowledge of the law. Judging from what I am subjected to on the roadways, the value of training and testing is nil.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads