JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it really true that some of the soldiers bring their own body armor as the ones issued by the military are so bad? Or is that just interweb bullcrap?

Some I know have but I've seen no consistent complaints from the guys I know in the sandbox on this issue. The issued body armor works. There was a flap over Dragon Armor a few years ago, but AFAIK that was short-lived and not wide-spread.

Is it really true that some of the soldiers bring their own body armor as the ones issued by the military are so bad? Or is that just interweb bullcrap?

the reason a lot of guys buy there own rigs/plate carriers is not because of lack of quality or protection, but rather because of a lack of comfort, or, best as I can describe it, "high speed"-ness. We are all issued our IBA's, which hold the soft armor and the plates. If you're going to Aghanistan, you MIGHT get issued a new plates-only armor (no soft armor). Then we also get the molle vest.

At that point, you have the option to attach all your pouches and attachments to the molle vest, or straight to the IBA. Many guys choose to do it on the vests, mostly for training purposes, so that If you can get away with just armor for a specific day, or just the light vest for a day, you can. I prefer to just put everything on the IBA, just to reduce gear spreading, and make everything more efficient, and in my opinion, more comfortable.

That being said, IBA's are not comfortable, and the Molle vests are TERRIBLE. Many guys buy their own chest rigs, NOT ARMOR, to wear on top of their IBA's, whether to increase support, pouch options, or just be different.

I purchased my own "Spartan" vest shortly before going to Iraq. The issued Interceptor body armor was designed so that the new (then) MOLLE pack's waist belt would ride just below the bottom of the vest. The Marines have since gone to the Spartan-type vest with a cumberbund, and it hangs lower in the back, nearly covering the individual's beltline. The soft armor and plates from the Interceptor vest fit into the Spartan vest I purchased, because that's how the place in J-actionville, NC designed it. Had I been wearing the issued armor, the shrapnel that hit the bottom of my SAPI would have went through me, instead of only damaging my SI joint and spine.

Side note:
The best part about the vest; I sent my wife back to the place of purchase to get new side buckles because the 2 on the left were blown off, and when she explained what she needed, the owner of the store went and got a box, packed a new Spartan shell in it, addressed it to me, gave her $40 to cover the shipping and said "Send this to him, and ask him to bring the damaged one back with him so we can display it" THAT is good customer service.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top