JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The study in the OP, and others like it, are written to push gun control and for no other reason.

There are lots of reasons people commit suicide, but discussing them here is prohibited.

If guns caused people to commit suicide, there would be 44,000 suicides per day instead of 44,000 per year. USA is number 1 for guns per capita, yet lots of countries with few guns have higher rates of suicide than the USA:

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia

No offense, but that Just isn't true. Plenty of people in law enforcement spend many years as their career pursuit working their asses off to prevent murder and they do prevent them.

There are also many friends, family, and medical workers that put in tireless hours to give support to those they care for to prevent them from suicide.

I get what you're trying to say, but you're simplifying it to the point that it doesn't make sense.

This isn't true. It's not a cop's job to prevent crime. It's a cop's job to catch criminals after the fact. As a side effect of patrolling, there is, is some but not all cases, a deterrent effect. But it is not a cop's job to stop a murderer from murdering you. Or to stop you from committing suicide. If that was true, we could sue every single cop right this second for not stopping a crime. Ridiculous, right? No cop has ever, or will ever be sued or even disciplined for not preventing a murder or suicide. We'd have to have one cop per person who never needs to eat or sleep. Ridiculous, right? Only you are responsible for protecting yourself from harm. You are your own first responder.

In proper response to the post, I'm surprised it isn't more than 1 in 3. Almost every firearms owner I know keeps at least one unlocked and loaded. I would think the trained professionals amongst us would have an even higher count.

Speaking for myself only here...
When growing up we had guns around , one was always loaded , we also did not have a safe...Spent some time in the Army with a few combat tours...and yes again guns were around.... At times locked up and "secured" , many times loaded , selector switch on "fire" and unlocked.
So...
For me having guns around , loaded , unloaded , locked up or not , isn't anything new , unusual or even noteworthy really...

My point with this is :
Often what happens with firearms , be it actions with guns or someone's outlook or views of firearms , can be traced to their experiences with firearms.
When I hear that :
_____ Number of folks have guns ....
_____Number of gun owners keep guns locked up / unlocked / loaded / unloaded...
_____Number of people keep guns for , insert any number of reasons here....
I think : "So what".

None of that matters to me , as long as you use your gun safely in a manner which works for you and brings no harm to anyone....Who am I to tell you what to do...?

While gun ownership is very much a "collective" right or action*...firearm safety is very much a individual action.
I should not be held responsible / accountable for another persons misuse , mistakes or actions with a firearm....
Granted I should teach those who may come into contact with my firearms , safe gun habits...but the actions of a stranger , should in no way be placed at my feet , so to speak....

*"Collective " as in many , many folks are indeed gun owners , but one can easily point out the many varied reasons why someone owns firearms.....
Andy

For males in England and Wales, hanging, suffocation or strangulation (all grouped together) has always been the most common suicide method. The percentage of male hangings has shown a general upward trend from 2001 to 2017 (Figure 9).

Take the guns away and suicide goes away...............o_O Yea right! It's a gun thing. I guess the bad guys in Jolly ole England carry ropes and bottles of poison these days. Give me your money Mate, or I'll hang ya.:rolleyes:

Liberal-logic.jpg

Aloha, Mark

2A/RTKBA purists say its OK for Violent Felons (As long as they are on the street) and Illegals of all stripes (Including radical Islamist Border Jumpers & active duty Iranians) and Visa Overstayers and even Serial Pedos in treatment outside of the prison system and yes in some cases Folks under serious psychiatric care like some of the Military types in this thread .

Do you really think that another law will/would stop any of the above individuals if they really wanted to murder? Use a gun, poison, a car, a knife, a hammer, a pressure cooker, etc....

Criminals-Obey-the-law.jpg

Sure, they are breathing air and walking among us.

Perhaps, they shouldn't be? Ouch. So then......

Why is the Government's failure....
To kick out illegals,
Prevent nut job extremest from entering the USA,
Applying the death penalty,
Insisting on real punishment in prison
and seeing that prison sentences are fully carried out.......all suddenly my fault? Thus, warranting a increased restriction(s) on my RKBA?

Seems to me, that the GUILTY should be punished. Not those whom have NOT committed any crime(s).

OK, Ok, ok.....I know that it ain't gonna happen soon but then.....

I'm NOT running for an elected office.:eek: LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads