JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mike, in this case the Gremlin is an AR pistol/PDW, not a car. (Since most of the parts so far are various shades of green, "Gremlin" as in "nasty, evil little green thing that will totally ruin your day.")
--Vltor CASV-EL Foliage Green handguard
--Aero Precision upper, to be sprayed with Rustoleum Olive Drab
--EP Armory Zombie Green lower, to be sprayed Rustoleum OD (and replaced with Tennessee Arms OD)
--FAB Defense PTK angled foregrip and AGF-43 folding maingrip, both OD
I tend to buy a lot of Olive Drab because it gets some very nice Inventory Reduction Discounts--I'd buy Pink if it were pennies on the dollar and break out the Krylon. :) Problem is, all that green on this and my other AR is leading the girlfriend to joke about how she's "turning me Canadian"... :( (Never happen--might be up for spending some time up there with her folks, but if we're gonna make a go of it base camp has to be THIS side of the border even if only by a few feet.)

Okay, so your Gremlin is green. I think green was a stock color in '73! Yeah, Grasshopper green, Fairway green and Blarney green. Just don't be goin' too green, living in trees tops and hanging out on street corners in PDX holding a "SAVE THE TREES" sign.

Oh, pictures of the Gremlin when it's done?

Just don't be goin' too green, living in trees tops and hanging out on street corners in PDX holding a "SAVE THE TREES" sign.

Oh, pictures of the Gremlin when it's done?
Lol, I prefer the green in my wallet. :) As for pics, You'd Better Believe It! :D Since the neighbors are Bloomingdouches and there's a Fudd infestation at the range, I gotta have SOMEWHERE to show off my creations...

Here's where it is now, other than some minor reorganization on the parts baggies:
20170426_165716_zpsaaxwfxv0.jpg
EP Armory EPL still in its jig being worked on. If that box were a quarter-inch longer in either dimension, I could have left the buffer tube on and still fit it in rather than having to just "clean the threads and remove"--this blank got some bad mold flashing on the buffer tower.

OK, OK, here's a mock-up shot with parts presently in-hand--I'm waiting for a killer deal on a Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel, but I'll probably buy a complete PSA 10.5 first since DD is fast headed for KAC "Because We Got Gov Contracts And WE CAN, Dammit" levels of overprice. (That A2 grip is going bye-bye as soon as the folding grip is off the truck.)
20170502_081137_zpsdkdwcllu.jpg
That un-railed end is the slot for the FSB--much as I like my folding Diamondheads, on a "working gun" better to only fight with unfolding one BUIS--then the "can" of an Indian Creek BFD blast-deflector will be just ahead of the CASV.

Anybody wanna place bets on which'll get to a price more to my liking first, between the DD barrel and LAW Tactical sidefolder? LOL

Last Edited:
Eh? Hearing protection for lawn mower and power tools? I'm wearing hearing aids now, so how much worse can it get?

Nah, I do wear eye protection when shooting or working with power tools. Just not for yard work... the wife does all the mowing and trimming. :D

When I was a young buck my first part time job was at a fish n chips place... should have worn safety glasses! Man that hot grease could splatter!!! First full time job was AT&T, working in the Central Office installing switching equipment. As one can imagine, safety was a big deal and you could get a letter in your file for non-compliance. Anyway, I was adding a feeder to one of the big DC power wires going overhead down the center of the aisle. These connections use a big copper clamping arrangement that is tightened with a wrench. Ooops! I used too long a wrench and it contacted nearby iron framework.... melted wrench burned my hand and rained down on my face. Good thing I was compliant with eye protection that day.

When I took metal shop and wood shop, classes in junior high and high school we had to wear full face shields if we were using a machine of cut metal or wood.

Diamondback: ... GREMLIN!!! Not Grendal. Not a 6.5 Grendal. Auughhhh! I need to wear my glasses more when at the computer. This is an epic fail on my part. I will have you know I have THREE, (3) different strength glasses. One for close up. One for reading. One for the computer. Getting old here. :) :)

Back on subject here, anybody know of a supplier who makes or sells the aforementioned big swivel type polycarbonate impact resistant hobby bench transparent shield to prevent the high flying parts enjoyed with AR15 build madness from flying around and hitting us and putting our eyes out? Maybe maybe?

Hundreds of AR15 builds and the parts still fly. :)

Thank you Diamondback. I am also thinking about a big shield that would physically bolt to the wall behind the hobby bench that could swivel back and forth and forward and backward. About 24 inches by 24 inches.

Anybody here old enough to remember the old fashioned drafting tables with the parallel arms that held the straight edges? They worked in one plane. What I am thinking here is about the same setup only in three planes.

Any ideas? Just thinking of stuff that might be already available someplace as safety equipment. Have no idea where.

Diamondback: ... GREMLIN!!! Not Grendal. Not a 6.5 Grendal. Auughhhh! I need to wear my glasses more when at the computer. This is an epic fail on my part. I will have you know I have THREE, (3) different strength glasses. One for close up. One for reading. One for the computer. Getting old here. :) :)

Back on subject here, anybody know of a supplier who makes or sells the aforementioned big swivel type polycarbonate impact resistant hobby bench transparent shield to prevent the high flying parts enjoyed with AR15 build madness from flying around and hitting us and putting our eyes out? Maybe maybe?

Hundreds of AR15 builds and the parts still fly. :)

You might look into chip guards for manual mills. I've used them while machining but I couldn't tell you who makes them. MSC or Grainger would be two online suppliers who'd probably have them. They are usually on a magnetic swivel base but might come in other mounting options, or be easily modified.

Edited to add: https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/category?catId=12106393

Anyone have a good brand to recommend?
The one's I bought are fogging up, and I feel like that makes them sort of unsafe. Tho my eyes are protected, it's difficult to see the target, or what's around it.

I'm thinking I should probably wear them fly fishing, with the way you guys are talking. All it takes is a crosswind gust... plus the UV reflection is killing my eyes.

Anyone have a good brand to recommend?
The one's I bought are fogging up, and I feel like that makes them sort of unsafe. Tho my eyes are protected, it's difficult to see the target, or what's around it.

I'm thinking I should probably wear them fly fishing, with the way you guys are talking. All it takes is a crosswind gust... plus the UV reflection is killing my eyes.

Whatever brand you use, cleaning them is the best way to keep them from fogging up - dust on the lens gives moisture something to stick to. I like Bausch + Lomb Sight Savers pre-moistened towlettes. YMMV.

What can my reply #33 add to this thread?

Eye safety is very dear to me. Working in the trades for decades, I've seen some grotesque eye injuries, and I've been the victim of some myself.

I always wore eye protection, even when it wasn't necessarily required. In spite of this, I've still gotten particles in my eyes. Without eye protection, I only know it would have happened a whole lot more without it.

I see folks swinging a hammer. Doesn't matter if it's directed to a nail, busting rocks or concrete, or shaping metal. And when they're doing it without eye protection, I cringe. Little chips of material, or even chips of the hammer face, are regular occurrences, and they can travel across a room at great speeds.

I see folks mowing their lawn or weed-eating without eye protection and I cringe. Most of us have experienced being pelted by lawn mower debris in our lifetime, and it hurts. Imagine if the thrown particle made a line drive to your eye.

I have to wear glasses all the time, so eye protection is easy for me. But for folks that don't normally wear them, get a good comfortable set, or many sets, and have them instantly available.

WAYNO.

Now I'm scared. lol
I've had roundish rocks squirted sideways from underneath parked vehicle tires hit the little pick-up I was in so hard I thought it was a rifle bullet.. dented the car bad both times.

I was in a rental car in NM, going about 100mph, zero traffic, broad daylight and hit a bug directly on the windshield.. looked in the rearview and saw the bug circling around in the air back where I hit it.. went back and it was crawling around on the ground by then. cracked the heck out of the windshield.

wear eyes and a good helmet if you ride a motorcycle.. wear everything, really

Old coots get paranoid with personal safety. Pain hurts. When driving or walking past a rotary lawnmower, I also turn my head and look away when going through the flying debris field. I have donated both ear and eye protection to our gardeners. They do not wear it. Very sad.

Young kids using very dangerous and NOISY mowers and blowers. The blowers especially. I even told the boss gardener. He just shrugged. What can one do? Yep, lots of horrible eyeball injuries seen and treated. To the point of where the eyeball is hanging down on the cheek.

Retired FF PM RN. Thank you for the links.

More of my safety passion...

In high school, I was also given the shock therapy of having to watch a movie of an eye surgery, where they removed a particularly gruesome shard of metal in a workers eye ball. This was on the big screen, and it was graphic. I remember that movie well, and it stuck with me.

And anti fog products? In a nut shell, none of them work well. I worked in a paper mill. No place on earth is more humid. We had available to us any number of anti fog products. Some worked a little bit. But none worked any where near 100%. One product that worked better than others was a waxy silicone stick. Not unlike a greasy pink candle. Wipe a little on the lens, then try to polish it off. Although it worked the best for me, I could never get the stuff wiped off enough that I wasn't seeing a little sheen of silicone on my lenses, and it always bothered me looking thru greasy lenses. A trade off. The spray silicone worked about the same. So...My safety glasses were glass. I cleaned them a lot. Glass was the only material that would withstand constant cleaning without hazing or scratching.

And we say eye protection, as in singular. A pair of glasses, even with side shields are maybe 98% effective. That means some things might still get to your eyes. So, add a face shield. Also 98% effective. Still means small particles can get around the edges of the face shield, and around your glasses. Goggles are the most effective eye protection.

next chapter...Ear protection.:cool:

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Eye, hearing, steel toe boots. If using a chainsaw, I wear chainsaw chaps, helmet too, obviously gloves, jacket. Basically, I can't hardly move, but I'm relatively protected until I trip over or bump into stuff because I can't hardly look around. LOL!

Eye, hearing, steel toe boots. If using a chainsaw, I wear chainsaw chaps, helmet too, obviously gloves, jacket. Basically, I can't hardly move, but I'm relatively protected until I trip over or bump into stuff because I can't hardly look around. LOL!

All that crap you could trip and break a leg! :D

There is truth to that, too.

We were required to wear a hard hat. In itself, that was okay, as it gave me a point to mount face shields and welding hoods. But, when wearing the hard hat alone, if the bill faced forward, we often jammed our head into over head obstructions. With the bill facing back, our overhead view was less obstructed, and we could see pipe runs before we jammed our head into them.

WAYNO.

Bolle's aren't bad, just make sure they are Z87-2.
Saw a guy cutting a metal pipe once unprotected with a gas axe, tapped him on the shoulder and handed him my safety glasses. Fu kid he said. I saw the head flinch as soon as he started again, I just walked away:oops:.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top