JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...even at the workbench, WEAR 'EM. It's important--I was doing some fit testing on the Gremlin this morning and the damn thing almost cost me my right eye when it tried to bite me with a buffer-retainer to the eyeball, stopped only by my polycarbonate eyeglass lens.

So yeah, it's important. Eyes ALWAYS even if what you're doing doesn't need ears; safety first, last and every notch in between. If you wear glasses, consider looking into polycarbs, they cost a bit more but are well worth it for the convenience of having your safety glasses always there without needing to fight with another pair, and this isn't the first "Save" mine have scored.

A long time ago I had a little piece metal dug out of my eye with a hypodermic needle. It was not pleasant so yes, I wear them all the time. All it takes is a little bad luck to ruin you for life.

In the 80's they made us all watch these safety movies. One of them described an incident and showed the guy saying, "Thank God I had 'em on when it happened." For some reason we all found that hilarious and repeated that phrase many, many times for all kinds of things that had nothing to do with safety glasses.

There was another one where they repeated over and over, "Bend with your knees, not with your back." Anyone else remember these?

I once met a gunsmith with one eye.
I asked him what happened assuming I knew the answer.
He says, "lawnmower. Wear your eye pro."
Point taken. :cool:

I wear them to shoot my firearms and I wear prescription glasses so I bought some shooting glasses that fit over my eyeglasses. I also wear a helmet with earmuffs and a face shield when 'I used my chainsaw or my horizontal string trimmer for my weed whacking tasks.

Came real close to loosing an eye years ago. Eye protection would have prevented the injury. I was in a hurry & wouldn't walk 10 feet to pick up the face shield. I was lucky. I learned.

A guy should always wear ear protection when running the lawn mower 9r even the vacuum cleaner. Damn noise will wear on you.

My prescription glasses are poly something and I always wear safety goggles over them when doing yard work. For other stuff I just wear the eye glasses.
One time I was pulling out the buffer tube & that damn rocket (buffer detent) hit me in the forehead & couldn't find the damn rocket launcher (the spring) either until I was getting ready for bed & combed my long Grizzly Adams beard.... :eek::eek::eek:o_O lol
Yeah wear em!!!

I guess coming from the construction industry, I've had safety glasses, gloves, eye protection, etc. so deeply implanted in my brain, I wouldn't think about working or shooting without them. I've seen some injuries when that stuff wasn't worn, I'd just rather stay safe.

A long time ago I had a little piece metal dug out of my eye with a hypodermic needle. It was not pleasant so yes, I wear them all the time. All it takes is a little bad luck to ruin you for life.

Picked up a little piece of metal in my right eye when I was traveling in Italy. No idea how. But the most beautiful woman I've ever met was the Italian doctor who I had chosen at random to go see to get it removed. Holy cow was she beautiful! Wanted to stab myself in the other eye just to go back and see her. Alas, however, as she was married...proof, I'm sure, that my god is an angry god and enjoys screwing with me. I digress. Wear your safety glasses!

But consider this? ... Your mighty Grendel tried to bite you on the hobby bench but will give you its undying love on the shooting bench. I still carry around a very tiny steel fragment deep in my right eyeball. Causes the hospital staff fits when certain x-ray and mag res jobs are needed.

High speed hobby tool. I was stupid. It still hurts just a tiny bit sometimes at night. Curious question at large. Does anybody make a clear polycarbonate shield type arrangement that can swivel around the hobby bench providing quick and excellent LARGE protection from small flying parts?

Any yardwork, shooting, or just working with tools I always wear eye pro, if it's loud then ear pro too.

If you have electronic earmuffs you can plug them into your phone and listen to music too, I do that mowing the lawn, and sometimes at the range as well, very relaxing.

@HB of CJ, the beast isn't being built as a bencher but a "working-gun" PDW--hopefully it'll be just as eager to bite the threat who forces me to deploy it. (And no, there's no affection in that name, I meant it as "nasty, evil little green thing"--which it's living up to! LOL)

I don't even mow my own lawn but there is a rock chip in my front door window that Says I should wear them when the guy is Here mowing the lawn lol I always wear them in the shop grinding or using drill press so on and so on like someone else said getting metal out of your eye is not fun even if it's just from sanding

Many years ago I bought a used semi-auto 12 ga. Fired the first shot and was looking at the world through a dirty yellow tint and my face stung like crazy. Wiped my forehead with my hand and it came away red. The base of the case had disintegrated and brass fragments went everywhere. Fortunately the injuries were superficial. The next day I took the gun, along with what was left of the case, back where I bought it. Got a much nicer gun and full box of ammo at no added cost. Had to replace my glasses too but at least I could get new ones. Can't do that with eyes.

The only time I take my glasses off is when I'm in bed. That led to an interesting encounter a short time later when my wife and I went out to dinner. There was a very attractive young lady at a table a couple of tables away from ours and all through dinner she kept looking at me. They left before we did and she stopped as they passed our table, smiled, and said "HI, I didn't recognize you at first with your glasses on". Surprisingly I still have the same wife.

I went shooting with a friend who refused to wear ear or eye protection. The type that thinks it is macho to blast off a 44 Magnum without any earplugs. He is still a friend, but we will never go shooting again. Too difficult to watch. Your eyes and ears are DAINTY I don't care if you are a 330lb bodybuilder, it doesn't matter.

-I was doing some fit testing on the Gremlin this morning and the damn thing almost cost me my right eye when it tried to bite me with a buffer-retainer to the eyeball

Dang, haven't seen a Gremlin on the road for a long time. Got any pictures? You got some big slicks on the back and blower sticking out a the hood I bet?

I went shooting with a friend who refused to wear ear or eye protection. The type that thinks it is macho to blast off a 44 Magnum without any earplugs. He is still a friend, but we will never go shooting again. Too difficult to watch. Your eyes and ears are DAINTY I don't care if you are a 330lb bodybuilder, it doesn't matter.

Glad to see you around Burt, been a long time. See you're still at Mc Ds. Probably manager by now eh? :D

Mike, in this case the Gremlin is an AR pistol/PDW, not a car. (Since most of the parts so far are various shades of green, "Gremlin" as in "nasty, evil little green thing that will totally ruin your day." I don't drive, remember? :p)
--Vltor CASV-EL Foliage Green handguard
--Aero Precision upper, to be sprayed with Rustoleum Olive Drab
--EP Armory Zombie Green lower, to be sprayed Rustoleum OD (and replaced with Tennessee Arms OD)
--FAB Defense PTK angled foregrip and AGF-43 folding maingrip, both OD
I tend to buy a lot of Olive Drab because it gets some very nice Inventory Reduction Discounts--I'd buy Pink if it were pennies on the dollar and break out the Krylon. :) Problem is, all that green on this and my other AR is leading the girlfriend to joke about how she's "turning me Canadian"... :( (Never happen--might be up for spending some time up there with her folks, but if we're gonna make a go of it base camp has to be THIS side of the border even if only by a few feet.)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top