JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought I was all done with .45 Colt. Until lately I decided I wanted to have another one of those New England Firearms Survivors with a .410 / .45 Colt barrel. Which basically does what a TC Contender .410 /.45 Colt does, only has a butt stock and longer barrel. I had an NEF Survivor but a few years ago sold it. So lately, I wanted another only this one cost me twice as much as what I'd sold my previous one for.

Okay, I've got tons of .410 shells, as I've got a couple of other .410's. But the .45 Colt ammo, that all went away when I sold my Smith & Wesson Model 25-2. So today, I was looking around online at ammo and components. Oh my goodness. Not only is it hard to find, but expensive when found. Oh, and I don't have any more large pistol primers, I sold or gave those away when I sold my last .45 ACP last year. I didn't think I'd be needing them. All I have is some 185 gr. fancy XTP .45 bullets that someone gave me, and while they could be used in the Survivor, aren't really appropriate for .45 Colt. Oh, and powder, I have some Unique.

So after looking at the price of cartridge brass, primers (which aren't available around here), and maybe some 250 gr. RNL bullets, not to mention a die set, I'm thinking for now maybe I'd be better off buying a couple of boxes of factory ammo. For over a dollar per cartridge.
An FYI. If you go for dies, know that the Lee 4-die set with factory crimp die, the crimp die is NOT a roll-crimp die. It's a taper crimp die. I had to purchase the roll-crimp die separately from Lee.

An FYI. If you go for dies, know that the Lee 4-die set with factory crimp die, the crimp die is NOT a roll-crimp die. It's a taper crimp die. I had to purchase the roll-crimp die separately from Lee.
Thanks, I've been aware of that. In this case, the cartridges are going to be fired in a single shot so I don't think crimp will matter. In fact, the one component I already have are some Hornady bullets w/o cannelure but they should be okay in the single shot.

"SELLER'S REMORSE" is real.
I don't experience this often. But once in a while, I buy back an example that I'd previously owned. Because of the way the laws are going, I thought I'd buy a few single shots just in case.

Today, I happened to be in the neighborhood of a Sportsman's Warehouse. They didn't have any .45 Colt ammo, and of course zero cartridge brass. BUT BOY HOWDY, THEY SURE HAD A WALL FULL OF .357 SIG BRASS! Oh and of course, no primers of any kind, much less the 100 LPP I will be needing.

You SOLD something? :eek:
Oh, did I ever. I had about 80 something guns in 2019, for the next few years after that, I sold about three quarters of them. I've since added about six or seven of types that I didn't already have. Single shot rifles and single shot and pump shotguns.

Since Wash. I-594 and I-1639, selling guns privately has become a much more drawn out affair. it takes longer. I'm 72 years old, I didn't want to have an unmanageable number of guns on hand when my health went really bad. So I let go of a lot of stuff, guns, ammo and reloading stuff. Really, I had more than I could reasonably use in the foreseeable time I have left. It's coming to you all.

First cartridge I starting reloading 34 years ago. Got a ton of it. One thing I know now is that as soon as you decide you'll never do something again you start the clock for the next time you want to do it. Never get rid of primers.

even at today''s CRAZY prices , my .45 colt, cast bullet reloads are running me about 25 - .30 cents per round. Many powders can be used, so that part is pretty simple,and a pound is good for the thousand round range.
die sets not all that hard to come by if not brand picky,but primer prices flat suck !! oh well,got 3 to feed so I just keep cranking away on the ol' Dillon.

even at today''s CRAZY prices , my .45 colt, cast bullet reloads are running me about 25 - .30 cents per round. Many powders can be used, so that part is pretty simple,and a pound is good for the thousand round range.
die sets not all that hard to come by if not brand picky,but primer prices flat suck !! oh well,got 3 to feed so I just keep cranking away on the ol' Dillon.
That is my next investment a Dillon I'm still pumping out ammo on the single stage but it's relaxing in a way I enjoy it

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews