JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I harvest a Salmon, I take a lot of care when handling the fish so that it's not beat up and bruised and it's iced down as quickly as possible.
I've seen how the natives treat their gill net fish after dumping them into their boats and it will never be top quality, especially a fall fish.

When I harvested a salmon, I beat him over the head until he said Uncle to stop him/her/xe from flopping around and beating up the meat. If he wasn't very brite, I put him in the smoker. No fish went to waste in my house.

A trip to the coast is longer than I can manage anymore. If I want to eat fish, I take what I can get. With the exception of nasty farm raised. But I won't complain if you purisstas want to deliver some top quality line harvested wholesome goodness.

I bet nobody here eats bottomfish unless they catch it themselves, because, you know, drag seiners!! Or any of that nasty Dolphin inside a can of tuna.

FWIW, Safeway is part of the Ocean Wise seafood program.

https://seafood.ocean.org/sustainable-seafood/

If you have to buy, like I do, buy Ocean Wise.

Note: I'm still not buying their Atlantic Salmon, which is not a salmon and is primarily farm raised.

I didn't know, but it says they no longer sell Yellowfin Tuna, due to overharvesting. Too bad, it's one of my fav sushi meats. My buddy and I both caught Yellowfin off Cabo years ago, and took it, along with other species, to a Cabo sushi place, where they made us as much sushi as we could stand til they had to roll us out the door!!

When I harvested a salmon, I beat him over the head until he said Uncle to stop him/her/xe from flopping around and beating up the meat. If he wasn't very brite, I put him in the smoker. No fish went to waste in my house.

A trip to the coast is longer than I can manage anymore. If I want to eat fish, I take what I can get. With the exception of nasty farm raised. But I won't complain if you purisstas want to deliver some top quality line harvested wholesome goodness.

I bet nobody here eats bottomfish unless they catch it themselves, because, you know, drag seiners!! Or any of that nasty Dolphin inside a can of tuna.

Back when my wife worked hospice care in private homes, I used to donate salmon/steelhead to anyone that asked for it. That was a great way for me to volunteer, she used to bring home cards and letters from folks who received my gifts, touched my heart.

When fishing rivers in the boat, after netting the prize I didn't bonk em, I tied a rope through their mouths and gills, slit the gills on both sides an let them bleed out as we continued fishing. They are awesome tasting fish when bled I'll tell ya...:s0115:

Lately, my wife has lamented that she is burned out on salmon... SAY IT AIN'T SO Caveman!!!!
Yep, so I have been reading packages to find good bottom fish, in cellophane... :eek::eek::eek:
No worries though, we actually like Tilapia for fish tacos but others claim it trash fish... To each their own.;)

When fishing rivers in the boat, after netting the prize I didn't bonk em, I tied a rope through their mouths and gills, slit the gills on both sides an let them bleed out as we continued fishing. They are awesome tasting fish when bled I'll tell ya...

An ODFW game warden convinced me to do just that when I was still fishing the Wallowa for steelhead. Can't say I noticed a diff tho.

Alas, for me, it's all a thing of the past. :(:(:(

Lately, my wife has lamented that she is burned out on salmon... SAY IT AIN'T SO Caveman!!!!
Yep, so I have been reading packages to find good bottom fish, in cellophane... :eek::eek::eek:
No worries though, we actually like Tilapia for fish tacos but others claim it trash fish... To each their own

I used to LOVE Tilapia even after reading how the are raised/fed. But the Walmart Tilapia started tasting like garbage so I quit. I've seen some vids of how farm fish are raised in third world countries that turned me off too.

When fishing around Sea Lions you don't dare tie off a Salmon and bleed it along side your boat in the water.
It would be ripped right off the rope in no time.

When fishing around Sea Lions you don't dare tie off a Salmon and bleed it along side your boat in the water.
It would be ripped right off the rope in no time.

There are seals in the Chehalis river down low but we always watched for them and have never lost a fish. Knock on WOOD... We never left them in the water longer than five minutes checking to make sure they had bled out completely.:D

An ODFW game warden convinced me to do just that when I was still fishing the Wallowa for steelhead. Can't say I noticed a diff tho.

Alas, for me, it's all a thing of the past. :(:(:(

I used to LOVE Tilapia even after reading how the are raised/fed. But the Walmart Tilapia started tasting like garbage so I quit. I've seen some vids of how farm fish are raised in third world countries that turned me off too.

Never bought Tilapia at Wally World.
All the sea bass, lingcod and halibut was procured by bartering, I have a very good network of fishermen.
Case in point, the last batch of Seabass and lingcod, over 20#'s in an iced cold cooler came from a charter boat captain out of Westport that bought some fishing gear from me. He said that the boat limited out that morning and three people donated them to the boat and he could not find enough people to get rid of all of it until he came to my place...:D:D:D

Never bought Tilapia at Wally World.
All the sea bass, lingcod and halibut was procured by bartering, I have a very good network of fishermen.
Case in point, the last batch of Seabass and lingcod, over 20#'s in an iced cold cooler came from a charter boat captain out of Westport that bought some fishing gear from me. He said that the boat limited out that morning and three people donated them to the boat and he could not find enough people to get rid of all of it until he came to my place...:D:D:D

Wally World sells a lot of frozen fish. I like the shrimp, but I stay far away from their "fresh" seafood!!! As I stay far away from most all of their beef.... the burger tastes like I imagine horse meat to taste. It's bad.

I would commit heinousness to get me some fresh sea bass and Lingcod! You Dog!!!! ;):D

I sure miss Brookings.... the place that taught me that fresh tuna is actually pretty good and wholly unlike the cat food in a can they sell in the store.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top