JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years back I was fishing the Westport Marina by the Islander Motel for silvers - of course getting no interest in my anchovy and float other than seagulls. I heard this splashing and a lot of yelling about a 100 ft to my right looked over and saw this huge commotion in the water and silvers were jumping everywhere. The sea lions had chased a huge school into the rocks below the sidewalk and one of the docks. The fish were trying to escape any way they could including jumping on the rocks and on the dock. One guy casting a spinner snagged a silver only to have a sea lion grab the fish and yank the pole out of his hands. An elderly fisherman had a silver jump on the dock next to him - he quickly bonked it on the head and put it in his cooler. The scene lasted for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then it was over and I didn't see another fish the rest of the day:mad::mad::mad::mad:. To this day I haven't seen anything like that.

A few years back I was fishing the Westport Marina by the Islander Motel for silvers - of course getting no interest in my anchovy and float other than seagulls. I heard this splashing and a lot of yelling about a 100 ft to my right looked over and saw this huge commotion in the water and silvers were jumping everywhere. The sea lions had chased a huge school into the rocks below the sidewalk and one of the docks. The fish were trying to escape any way they could including jumping on the rocks and on the dock. One guy casting a spinner snagged a silver only to have a sea lion grab the fish and yank the pole out of his hands. An elderly fisherman had a silver jump on the dock next to him - he quickly bonked it on the head and put it in his cooler. The scene lasted for about 20 to 30 seconds, and then it was over and I didn't see another fish the rest of the day:mad::mad::mad::mad:. To this day I haven't seen anything like that.

I've seen this same scenario play out a few times also. Freaky to say the least....

August 2004, Katmai Natl Park. Took about 100 pics trying to get one with the salmon jumping
into the bear's mouth.
Katmai 1.jpg Katmai 2.jpg

When I was 15 I was at Mystery Bay State Park in Puget Sound and noticed a school of shiners freaking out and say a fin poke out of the water. Tossed in a Hook with a chunk of herring and hooked it after 2 minutes. It ran like hell and cut my leader on some barnacles on a pier. It was 30 pound mono line.

That was fun! I always like the stories of sharks or tarpon jumping into small craft and someone opening up on them with a gun! LOL!!! So funny! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top