JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the ocean/coast, but I grew up with a healthy respect for the danger in that beauty. Never, ever, turn your back on the ocean. Bad news. Sorry to hear about those two being lost.

Regarding bar crossings, my co-worker lost his BIL about 3 years ago when a fishing boat capsized at the mouth of the Columbia. Everyone else got out safely, but he was caught in the fishing gear as it went over the side and dragged him down. He was 2 months from retirement. Sad story.

Look up the Morecambe Bay cockle-pickers disaster here in UK a few years back....ignorance and exploitation - by their own people.

tac

Wow! Nothing criminal involved, but it reminds me of a group of new Asian immigrants who were foraging mushrooms at our local city parks! Many deaths. :(

The ocean is a stone killer! Respect her or pay the consequences!

I remember clam digging in the low tide mud flats off New England in the USA. Probably Maine. We all were at the same RV park and it was a laid on expedition type day outing. The tide was out. Way out. They have big tides in Maine USA.

There was a designated spotter and watch holder. At a specific minute she blew a loud whistle and we all quickly got off the mud flats with our catches and equipment. Ten minutes later the tidal bore came in . A series of small 6 inch waves.

In minutes the ocean was knee deep where were just standing digging big clams. In one hour it was over 5 feet deep. We safely watched from shore. Sobering. Amazing. Scary. The tide came in so fast so strong. This was in 1981. Good clams.

Grew up on the edge of the ocean.

Was also a lifeguard for years.

There are dangers the average beach goer should know about but seems to be lacking in most of the people I observe.

Beach combing on the Southern Oregon Coast comes to mind. One eye on the kids. One eye ALWAYS on the ocean. I was always running "WHAT IF?" scenarios through my mind. Limited beach access. High bluffs. No life vests. We were really hanging it out and the kids did not have a clue. Neither did the other parents. I had to explain it all to them. They just laughed. Bad situation. :(

Two razor clam diggers were killed by not paying attention to the ocean. In my years crossing the Chehalis River bar, I've learned how quickly things go wrong and how unforgiving the ocean is, even from the perceived safety of the beach.

I can attest to the dangers of the sea especially when I'm clamming.
I have an equilibrium disorder and when I'm walking along the beach and the waves come in and go out I become somewhat disoriented because my brain perceives something that isn't right.:eek:

Please, when out on the water wear a PFD, it can save your life.;)

Last Edited:
I am 64 and been clam digging on the coast since i was a little kid. If you have ever been rolled in the surf by a rogue wave you would be suprised how helpless you are. The old style chest waders would fill up with water and then you were really in trouble. A couple years ago we jad to help an old lady who was rolled by a wave down at Pacific Beach. She was more worried about losing all her clams than she was of drowning
Thanks
James

We used to dig in the water just over a sand bar north of Iron Springs and many the time I would be up to my shoulder in the sand when a wave would wash over me. Our worst time though was when we got SNOWED on. A couple of Newbies in shorts, sweat shirts and tennis shoes. By the time we got back to our travel trailer, we couldn't feel our feet.:eek::eek::eek:
Now it's cheaper to buy a case of Snows Clam Chowder. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads