JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I splashed the boat last month at her slip in South Beach. Conditions prevented an ocean trip until this weekend. Got to town yesterday in time to dumpster dive for crab bait and drop pots. Caught a few black rockfish while the pots soaked (only 2 hours) and was rewarded with 9 hard Dungies. Rebaited and left over night. Heading out now to find a couple of lings and maybe a chinook. Coho opens today but I don't think they're here yet.

4CB32DEE-82DC-4F2E-845F-1DA18DF2A1F1.jpeg

6D03B1A9-9F5D-4814-8989-BCFDFF2ED9E7.jpeg

More to follow.

P

Well, crabbing was abysmal. Overnight soak, three pots, one keeper. I rebaited and moved north. 4 hour soak, same three pots, 2 keepers. Dang. Rebaited and moved south, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Tried for lings and couldn't keep them off the line, but they were all short. Gotta be 22" to keep. Switched to black rockfish gear and had a ball.

5A38B9EC-58FF-41AD-8926-B52748D16F19.jpeg

Really nice grade of fish. Once I found them it was a fish every cast. I bought new rods and reels this year specifically for cast and retrieve for rockfish and they worked phenomenally. 2 oz leadheads with eyes and 5" white curly tail grubs. Quit at 25 or so, tequila and dinner calling my name.

A great day. Got some really neat video of a whale as the cherry on top.

Well, crabbing was abysmal. Overnight soak, three pots, one keeper. I rebaited and moved north. 4 hour soak, same three pots, 2 keepers. Dang. Rebaited and moved south, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Tried for lings and couldn't keep them off the line, but they were all short. Gotta be 22" to keep. Switched to black rockfish gear and had a ball.

View attachment 1224376

Really nice grade of fish. Once I found them it was a fish every cast. I bought new rods and reels this year specifically for cast and retrieve for rockfish and they worked phenomenally. 2 oz leadheads with eyes and 5" white curly tail grubs. Quit at 25 or so, tequila and dinner calling my name.

A great day. Got some really neat video of a whale as the cherry on top.
how many of you were fishing? I think 6 each is the limit.

Went out to get the pots this morning. Didn't fish. Much better than yesterday.

Three pots, 65', off Nye Beach. Four keepers per pot for a limit (who pays attention to that, anyway?).

75F3EE43-4DC0-423C-8FAA-D250B91C993C.jpeg

Back to the boat, scrubbed down and buttoned up, then to the cleaning station to process the deliciousness. Total of 21, nothing really big but they were all rock hard.

F24972B5-2EB3-4A1A-A62F-87A5E0349F94.jpeg

I have some work to do. I filled a milk jug with ocean water for the steamer, gonna see how that works out.

328448F1-FA16-414B-A76E-EADE19D0875F.jpeg

Until next time.

P

Hey Pharmseller, weren't you on Ifish awhile back? If so, Im pretty sure I bought a bait table off of you a few years back? Again, if so, I wish this fishin thread would gain a little more steam! Nice crabs by the way. Did ya get out for hali?

Hey Pharmseller, weren't you on Ifish awhile back? If so, Im pretty sure I bought a bait table off of you a few years back? Again, if so, I wish this fishin thread would gain a little more steam! Nice crabs by the way. Did ya get out for hali?
Yep, that's me! Ifish kicked me off a couple of years ago. I haven't been after halibut yet, maybe next weekend.

Cleaning crab before cooking them sure makes for some sweet white flesh as opposed to throwing them in the pot live and whole!

:s0155:
Yep, I've been steaming cleaned instead of boiling whole for years. Tastes better to me, I leave the mess at the coast, I can cook more crab per session, and it takes less time per session.

97883CFE-4644-4945-80F8-0825C64221E8.jpeg

I must have been on my game, the crab last night was some of the best I've had.

The last time I went out rock fishing it made me realize my DNA actually WAS that of a landlubber and my secret plans to run away to the sea were pure erroneous fantasy.

Great thread. Thanks for sharing! I'll give the clean before cooking a try. I've never done that before.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top