JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Short of going to the website and reading "the requirements" for obtaining a CWP in Oregon, can any fellow members share some highlights with me regarding the laws in Oregon?

I currently have a Florida CCW, and will be moving permanently to Oregon in the very near future.

Additionally, are there any books I might find helpful pertaining to Oregon's gun laws?

What is the overall "climate" towards gun owners in Oregon?

Thanks!

For a largely liberal state, Oregonians like their guns. I think you are better off waiting until you get your permanent residency. It takes an act of Congress to get an out-of-state OR-CHL approved.

The book: Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws 2010

Here you have a few very important links you should have:
Oregon Gun Laws
Oregon Firearms Academy LLC
Oregon Firearms Federation

Good suggestions. Oregon only issues CHLs to nonresidents living in neighboring states.

Good suggestions. Oregon only issues CHLs to nonresidents living in neighboring states.

I do plan on obtaining residency prior to applying for an Oregon CHL, however if it's relatively simple to get an out-of-state Oregon CHL as a resident of the State of Washington (and while a student at Oregon State) it may behoove me to retain Washington residency. I will be in one state as much as the other...

I know for a fact I can get an out of state Washington CHL. Is the Out of State Oregon CHL that big of hassle?

I do plan on obtaining residency prior to applying for an Oregon CHL, however if it's relatively simple to get an out-of-state Oregon CHL as a resident of the State of Washington (and while a student at Oregon State) it may behoove me to retain Washington residency. I will be in one state as much as the other...

I know for a fact I can get an out of state Washington CHL. Is the Out of State Oregon CHL that big of hassle?

Not really. There's lot of people on here that have one. The difference is Oregon is a "may issue" state for nonresidents but you get to select the county you apply in. I know Multnomah and Grant county are good about issuing to out of staters. Look through some posts and you can find out more about counties. If you're a resident, Oregon is a "shall issue" state but you have to apply in your county of residence.

It takes an act of Congress to get an out-of-state OR-CHL approvedl.

No it doesn't!! I've been doing it for close to 20 years now and have never had a problem. You do have a couple more hoops to jump through though, one is that you have to be a resident of an adjoining state. So a FL license won't do you any good here as they don't recognize any other state's license and, unless you live in WA, ID or CA you can't get it at all.

It is possible for a DD-214 to be rejected unless it states handgun training. If it says small arms training might not work.

Check the county you're applying in for specific requirements. Columbia requires you have your Washington CPL. Most also will require a letter asking for your reason for wanting a permit if you're a nonresident.

You'll need 2 pieces of current, valid identification. One needs to be photo id.
Your proof of firearms competency training.

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html
ORS 166.291 defines acceptable classes:
Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

3 hour class, 1-8 week wait to get your appointment to drop your paperwork off, be finger printed, photographed, and pay the fees. (Optical print scanners at the Multnomah county office, no ink!)

from what I understand they have only 1-2 ladies who really process them through, as when I turned my application in I was told there might be a bit more of a wait as someone was on Vacation.

Received it in I think 2 weeks and change. My wife has already completed the class, but job based licensing has taken precedence until recently, will let people know how long her trip through the process goes when she gets back in town.

Sheriff Palmer from Grant Co comes up to WA a few times a year just to do OR out of state permits for WA permit holders. It is a great service to us, but Grant Co is an interesting place to visit too. You might just want to take a drive down that way.

Grant county is the place to go if you have a WA permit. DD214 or the online MD class work for him.

Sounds like some of the Sheriffs in Oregon are very supportive of those of us up in Washington. The NW's sense of community always amazes me.

The next question for me is, as a Washington resident and student in Oregon, can I work full time in Oregon? I'm curious how the income tax issue would apply. I expect I would still have to pay it.

This may be cause to move this thread elsewhere...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.110300,-84.185306

Sounds like some of the Sheriffs in Oregon are very supportive of those of us up in Washington. The NW's sense of community always amazes me.

The next question for me is, as a Washington resident and student in Oregon, can I work full time in Oregon? I'm curious how the income tax issue would apply. I expect I would still have to pay it.

This may be cause to move this thread elsewhere...

---
I am here: Google Maps

It is my understanding that WA RESIDENTS do not pay OR income tax, just like OR RESIDENTs (with photo ID) do not have to pay WA sales tax. What matters for tax purposes is where you live, not where you work. You may want to check with a large employer, but the above is my understanding,

It is my understanding that WA RESIDENTS do not pay OR income tax, just like OR RESIDENTs (with photo ID) do not have to pay WA sales tax. What matters for tax purposes is where you live, not where you work. You may want to check with a large employer, but the above is my understanding,

My wife works in Oregon (we live in Washington). Her check reflects Oregon taxes removed (9%). She doesn't get a vote. Taxation without representation....

If you live in Washington and work in Oregon you will pay Oregon taxes - unless you are working under the table. You'll pay taxes and you won't get any schooling benefits either because you'll be considered an out-of-state student.

My suggestion is to think twice about your situation and where you want to live.

My 0.02

Last Edited:
My wife works in Oregon (we live in Washington). Her check reflects Oregon taxes removed (9%). She doesn't get a vote. Taxation without representation....

My 0.02

Interesting. I owned my own business before I retired and even though I did not employ any OR residents (we live 11 miles from the Canadian border) I was under the impression, if I had hired an OR resident, I would have had to withhold OR income tax...However, OR residents were exempt from our sales tax. I know the sales tax provision 100% sure, and I am 99% on the income tax.

I would have your wife check on that with a tax lawyer. If she is a WA resident, I do not believe she is required to pay OR income tax because she is a WA resident. This was from an reciprical tax agreement between OR and WA that was made 10 years ago or so. I am positive enough it is worth asking a Tax lawyer.

The problem was to reconcile exactly what you are talking about with your wife....

Interesting. I owned my own business before I retired and even though I did not employ any OR residents (we live 11 miles from the Canadian border) I was under the impression, if I had hired an OR resident, I would have had to withhold OR income tax...However, OR residents were exempt from our sales tax. I know the sales tax provision 100% sure, and I am 99% on the income tax.

I would have your wife check on that with a tax lawyer. If she is a WA resident, I do not believe she is required to pay OR income tax because she is a WA resident. This was from an reciprical tax agreement between OR and WA that was made 10 years ago or so. I am positive enough it is worth asking a Tax lawyer.

The problem was to reconcile exactly what you are talking about with your wife....

Yes, Oregonians are exempt from Washington sales tax(es) provided they state so and show Oregon ID at the time of sale.

I do not know about withholding OR taxes from OR residents working in WA. Uncle Sam(s) want their tax money so I wouldn't be surprised why you have had to withhold OR taxes from OR residents who would have worked for you (in WA).

It has already been checked, argued, fought, etc. by her and others with whom she works with (in her situation that live in WA and work in OR). She has worked where she does for 15+ years and has always paid her 9% (+/-) OR state tax. And we complain every payday.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top