JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
i am under the age of 21 and live currently in oregon, i've been itching to find a way to start my first ARP build, ive been told a couple different things about it, i came here to get input from people knowledgeable about the law here and that could help me obtain one. if i straight up cannot get one just let me know.

i am under the age of 21 and live currently in oregon, i've been itching to find a way to start my first ARP build, ive been told a couple different things about it, i came here to get input from people knowledgeable about the law here and that could help me obtain one. if i straight up cannot get one just let me know.
ARP?

AR pistol?
If that is what he want's to build, I would do this (assuming I was at least 18). I would buy an AR rifle that somebody converted from an AR pistol. The law allows for rifles made from pistols to be converted back to pistols. The OP could legally do that conversion once he bought the rifle. If ATF ever became involved the firearm would be traced back to originally being a pistol. That is going to be a hard firearm to find though.

You can assemble/build an upper, but can't purchase a lower/frame/receiver until age 21. You can "own" a handgun at 18, but you can't legally buy one... or the ammo to run one.

The only legal means to own one under 21 then would be if it were a gift from a family relation that is exempt from the FFL transfer requirement... and realizing that a family member purchasing a firearm with the intent of gifting it to you is still considered an illegal straw purchase.

Last Edited:
Because of your age, you probably don't fall into any category of people who can technically own an AR pistol by being a member of a particular organization.

Unless you want to go the SBR route and start that process, which I don't know if that is age restricted to 21, you'll have to wait like everyone else to get the brace stuff cleared up.

You didn't say how far off your 21st birthday is, but if it's legal, start collecting everything except the lower and hope you don't have to jump through 114 hoops if they ever get it worked out.

Unless you want to go the SBR route and start that process, which I don't know if that is age restricted to 21, you'll have to wait like everyone else to get the brace stuff cleared up.

You didn't say how far off your 21st birthday is, but if it's legal, start collecting everything except the lower and hope you don't have to jump through 114 hoops if they ever get it worked out.
You can manufacture and submit application for an SBR at 18... if you currently own a lower/receiver, but you can't buy a lower/receiver... or pre manufactured SBR until 21.

That's the route I would go. Start doing the research and gathering parts for the build... with the exception of the lower/receiver. Building an upper is perfectly legal.

Because of your age, you probably don't fall into any category of people who can technically own an AR pistol by being a member of a particular organization.

18 to 20 year olds can legally own pistols under Federal law, they just can't buy them from FFLs.

You can assemble/build an upper, but can't purchase a lower/frame/receiver until age 21. You can "own" a handgun at 18, but you can't legally buy one... or the ammo to run one.

The only legal means to own one under 21 then would be if it were a gift from a family relation that is exempt from the FFL transfer requirement... and realizing that a family member purchasing a firearm with the intent of gifting it to you is still considered an illegal straw purchase.
anything about being able to get a SBR?

anything about being able to get a SBR?
Same difference as a handgun. You can own one... and you can do the paperwork under the NFA at 18, but you can't buy or construct/mfg one... or a lower/receiver "other". If it's a pistol caliber you also can't buy ammo for it until 21. Rifle caliber you can.

Last Edited:
If your state allows 80% builds...
That's one route, but you wouldn't be able to SBR it until you're 21. Doing a braced ARP under the protection of one of the court injunctions is a possibility... if you're a betting man that likes taking risks. :D

I don't think I would recommend that for someone young and just starting to dip their toes into firearms, though.

Just sayin.... in that case it would be wise to seek professional advice before proceeding.

18 to 20 year olds can legally own pistols under Federal law, they just can't buy them from FFLs.

True but you cannot buy a gun as a gift for someone who cannot legally purchase that firearm. That includes receivers that can be built into pistols. You can give an 18-21 person a pistol . You can even sell them one private party. You just can't buy one for the purpose of gifting them the pistol.

I just gifted my 18 YO son a SBR as that particular gun is owned by me personally and not by my LLC and is considered a private transfer. Private sales and transfers of SBR's to 18 YO's are perfectly legal. .

Last Edited:
True but you cannot buy a gun as a gift for someone who cannot legally purchase that firearm. That includes receivers that can be built into pistols. You can give an 18-21 person a pistol . You can even sell them one private party. You just can't buy one for the purpose of gifting them the pistol.

I just gifted my 18 YO son a SBR as that particular gun is owned by me personally and not by my LLC and is considered a private transfer. Private sales and transfers of SBR's to 18 YO's are perfectly legal. .
how do you go about transferring a SBR do you not have to go through a FFL which when you do they deny you because you're younger then 21?

What's an arp? Acronyms aRe a Pain (ARP), Fe some arp meanings:

C6A34123-4ADD-48FB-860E-8D54A2F7D8BA.jpeg 4FDAEC30-7A8B-41D5-8396-142427B76F23.jpeg 18ABAA6A-B85C-462F-9187-CAAE7E6007B8.jpeg 407844DD-ABB9-4149-929E-B19B4C161041.jpeg 323AD818-D80C-457F-8601-CC5CC9E9D8C8.jpeg FA034516-3C46-4EAB-A6D7-5BE11FF714A2.jpeg 3E80CBD7-CC0C-4104-B869-E8127DBBBA85.jpeg

@wired in Oregon, we have the law from SB941 which basically requires every firearm sale to be transferred through FFLs, with background checks. The only exceptions to background checks as far as I can tell; are between immediate family members; but seems still requires FFL, and family gifted, it should be OK ; although it can still be considered an illegal straw purchase due to that 4473 question.

I think the easiest way to acquire an AR pistol under 21; would be to find an AR "builder"; hire that person to build a "16"+ rifle" on a braced pistol lower that still has the short barrel upper; then buy /transfer that AR as a rifle, then convert back to pistol minus the brace? ("Permanently remove brace") i don't know. It would in a way be essentially the TC Contender kit, but have there been case law where someone transferred a TC Contender as a rifle to an 18-20 year old along with the pistol parts to convert back to pistol? That's an interesting question to ponder. Otherwise..just wait until 21?

Edit. The whole "once a rifle, always a rifle" is the issue from what I can see, federally . ATF says "pistol to rifle then pistol, no problem, as long as not in NFA configuration" but that's assuming it was sold/transferred as a pistol; correct?

So where does that leave the kit/AR modular system if transferred as a "Rifle" through a FFL; but still having the short barrel upper and pistol brace or tube?

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews