JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
@ZA_Survivalist ; the ATF have said it is legal for 18-20 year-Olds to buy handguns and own them, just not buy from FFLs :rolleyes: however since Oregon has practically ended legal private face to face sales that doesn't involve FFLs or BG checks.. :rolleyes: unless the person has a family to "bona fide gift" them the handgun/AR pistol.

@ZA_Survivalist ; the ATF have said it is legal for 18-20 year-Olds to buy handguns and own them, just not buy from FFLs :rolleyes: however since Oregon has practically ended legal private face to face sales that doesn't involve FFLs or BG checks.. :rolleyes: unless the person has a family to "bona fide gift" them the handgun/AR pistol.
I realize that's what is said, but it's sort of a catch 22 and made more for gifting purposes.
Short of being gifted or making an 80% or as some have stated; filing for an SBR. It would seem there isn't really an avenue for someone proclaiming to be under 21 to go out and readily obtain a pistol here in Oregon through the current channels. Excluding: 80% builds, gifting, and from what some have proposed: rifle disassembly to pistol conversion
(if applicable) as well as SBR'ing.

And here in Oregon with the current laws we have, unlike the feee states where they have private sales it's not really a possibility without violating the law therefore IMO to the OPs pursuit, not applicable. The way it reads in context reads more along the lines of, how can I skirt the law. And we know full well the media and antis gobble that up.

I understand what you are saying, but doesn't that play into the woke narrative and, as you say, isn't it "shooting ourselves in the foot" if we refrain from sharing what actions are legal... even if it falls outside of what the desired controls are?

Basically.... we shouldn't talk about things "they" don't approve of... or they may use it against us... is what I'm reading.

A fear tactic to keep everyone in line, silent, and ever moving toward their goals of absolute control. That's right out of the blue playbook. Silence the opposition, disrupt/discourage free communication and cause dissent among those that disagree with you.

Just sayin.....
And I certainly hear you. And I suppose what I'm saying can be seen as hiding our hobby and 2A rights in shame.. and truthfully that's not my intent. It's more about members and how it read to me paired with how publicly accessible it is with the higher risk of being taken out of context since they just read it as law circumvention rather than what's legal and on the books and many simply aiding this individual in their right to obtain a firearm legally albeit in a non standard way (through FFLS with a direct purchase, again not that I support it.)

I do realize many are trying to help and pursue the right of US citizens to OBTAIN, keep and bear arms.

The way it reads in context reads more along the lines of, how can I skirt the law. And we know full well the media and antis gobble that up.
I guess that's the difference between "pro 2A" and "pro 2A, but..." folks. The woke narrative and desire is total control and universal BGC's... so to them,...exercising a right they haven't been able to infringe upon yet reads as "skirting the(their) law". To pro 2A folks... it reads as, "how can I legally obtain one"? (exercising a perfectly legal right)

Suggesting that we don't talk about what's still perfectly legal... and a right... IMHO is just feeding into the narrative. In essense... let's not talk about anything but the regulated and "accepted" methods... or disseminate what's still legal... because that bucks the narrative and might piss off the leftists. :D

Edit: When I say "pro 2A but..." there are degrees and am not suggesting they all support regulation and infringements. However, discouraging the exercise of rights or the disseminating of information that falls outside of the leftist narrative is to some degree a "but....", IMHO. ;)

Just sayin.... if it's legal, it's legal and we shouldn't shy away from educating people on what their rights are out of fear of those trying to "socially engineer" 2A rights out of our society.

Last Edited:
And I certainly hear you. And I suppose what I'm saying can be seen as hiding our hobby and 2A rights in shame.. and truthfully that's not my intent. It's more about members and how it read to me paired with how publicly accessible it is with the higher risk of being taken out of context since they just read it as law circumvention rather than what's legal and on the books and many simply aiding this individual in their right to obtain a firearm legally albeit in a non standard way (through FFLS with a direct purchase, again not that I support it.)

I do realize many are trying to help and pursue the right of US citizens to OBTAIN, keep and bear arms.
I get it. Part of why... twice... my suggestion for a young buck just getting into that aspect of firearm ownership is probably best served by holding off until the dust settles around all the legal challenges. What may be legal at this very moment, under a specific set of circumstances, bears a certain amount of risk (even more so for someone under 21) and navigating complicated issues and requirements.

All said... I wouldn't recommend it... but it's still within his right to do so.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR