JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well folks, with all the downtime this winter and my boat motor needing attention, I've been spending a lot of time in the Reloading room. I almost had a revelation to turn blue. By that I mean I was >>>•<<< this close to investing in a Dillon XL 650 from the classifieds. Say it ain't so Caveman. :s0001:

The only thing that made me change my mind is that it is now SPF, congrats to the buyer. It's my loss for not jumping on it when it first came on the market, most definitely but I am a bit relieved that I waited. And here's why.
I know that most reloaders start off with less expensive equipment, get frustrated that it doesn't live up to their (or others) expectations and then spend their retirement and kids inheritance to jump into the Dillon realm with both feet.

The older I get the more I seem to think about things before diving in headfirst. I think I'm just going to get the boat motor running and upgrade to a new Lee pro4000. :D

Last Edited:
Guess I became a reloading Smurf right as covid hit. Still use my green single stage for most rifle and "handloading" and the Dillons for "reloading", mostly 9mm and 45. Very happy with the decision but it is definitely not an either / or for me. They both have their places. I'm sure there are other good options out there, blue was just my choice.

Well folks, with all the downtime this winter with my boat needing attention, I've been spending a lot of time in the Reloading room. I almost had a revelation to turn blue. By that I mean I was >>>•<<< this close to investing in a Dillon XL 650 from the classifieds. Say it ain't so Caveman. :s0001:

The only thing that made me change my mind is that it is now SPF, congrats to the buyer. It's my loss for not jumping on it when it first came on the market, most definitely but I am a bit relieved that I waited. And here's why.
I know that most reloaders start off with less expensive equipment, get frustrated that it doesn't live up to their (or others) expectations and then spend their retirement and kids inheritance to jump into the Dillon realm with both feet.

The older I get the more I seem to think about things before diving in headfirst. I think I'm just going to get the boat motor running and upgrade to a new Lee pro4000. :D

WUSS!! :s0118:

:s0112:

I have thought I wanted a progressive many times but I have decided I really do not have the need. To me the only reason for a progressive is you are high volume competition shooter or your family is and you truly need that kind of output. The only other reason I can come up with is if you really don't enjoy the reloading process and you just want to crank out some ammo and be done with it. I enjoy the reloading process very much so a couple single stage presses and a turret press suit me fine. When I get to cranking I think I can do 300rds plus an hour of straight wall pistol on the old turret. For me my money is better spent on more components.

Guess I became a reloading Smurf right as covid hit. Still use my green single stage for most rifle and "handloading" and the Dillons for "reloading", mostly 9mm and 45. Very happy with the decision but it is definitely not an either / or for me. They both have their places. I'm sure there are other good options out there, blue was just my choice.
Indeed. They are intriguing no doubt about that, progressives intimidate me because too much is happening on the press all at the same time.
The only squib I ever had came from the only NEW progressive press I ever owned and sold it soon after, not my thing.

I have a Lee Pro1000 and that is perfect for .223 & 300BLK because I do all case prep off the loading press, I just change the turret and then work it like date night. ;)

I have thought I wanted a progressive many times but I have decided I really do not have the need. To me the only reason for a progressive is you are high volume competition shooter or your family is and you truly need that kind of output. The only other reason I can come up with is if you really don't enjoy the reloading process and you just want to crank out some ammo and be done with it. I enjoy the reloading process very much so a couple single stage presses and a turret press suit me fine. When I get to cranking I think I can do 300rds plus an hour of straight wall pistol on the old turret. For me my money is better spent on more components.
We have the same mindset, I've got time to sit at the press and concentrate on the task at hand.

I'm not supplying an army with ammo, don't big game hunt anymore and don't really shoot as much as I used to so I'm more into making the best ammo that I can with load developments and lots of testing.

Indeed. They are intriguing no doubt about that, progressives intimidate me because too much is happening on the press all at the same time.
The only squib I ever had came from the only NEW progressive press I ever owned and sold it soon after, not my thing.
Understood. The powder checker on the 750 does add a layer of comfort for me (650 available as well).

Well folks, with all the downtime this winter and my boat motor needing attention, I've been spending a lot of time in the Reloading room. I almost had a revelation to turn blue. By that I mean I was >>>•<<< this close to investing in a Dillon XL 650 from the classifieds. Say it ain't so Caveman. :s0001:

Sorry for your loss.
I will pray for you.

I've been stroking away with my RCBS Reloader Junior for the last 45 years.... Mostly hunting rounds and some pistol... Seems most of my shooting has been rimfire.... 22rf and 17hmr. I've been satisfied with commercial rounds in 223, 7.63x39, 9mm and 45acp. Hardly pays to reload for those, although I do have dies. Same with shotgun. Trick is to stock up when prices are down.. buy quantity.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top