JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder just how often does this happen...?
Not saying that it can't or won't happen.

Just wondering if this is something that has been repeated for so long that it must be true.

Andy
This^^.
I wish I could quote what I'd read on this subject, but now I can't even remember where I read it.
"It", being that this is a concern based on possibilities, not fact.

From the Ruger 44 Carbine* manual:

1709397391798.png
*the original tubular magazine version.

Back then there were photos published of one with a blown up magazine.

Bruce

I've been shooting and reloading a long time. As long as I've shot and reloaded, the loading publications have advised against anything but soft-point/hollow soft-point bullets for use in tubular magazines.

Years later, folks are questioning this advice as just fudd-old-school drivel. Now, if a person ignores this advice, and they have a mishap, who are they gonna sue?

I'm sure not gonna push it just to prove the old folks wrong. And if anybody on the range is doing so, I hope they notify the rest of us so we can stand back.

From the Ruger 44 Carbine* manual:

View attachment 1834916
*the original tubular magazine version.

Back then there were photos published of one with a blown up magazine.

Bruce
Ruger ALWAYS says to not use reloaded ammunition.
But the specific point made to the shape of the bullet is interesting. I don't remember seeing that in any other tube fed gun.
I wonder what happened?

Ruger ALWAYS says to not use reloaded ammunition.
But the specific point made to the shape of the bullet is interesting. I don't remember seeing that in any other tube fed gun.
I wonder what happened?
Looks like a cross between a flat nose .357 and a truncated cone for 9mm with a rounded meplat. It's weird. Plus the weight is odd for a 9 and the size is odd for a .357.

Late to this party, but I immediately understood the concern. You've probably figured it out by now. If not, something to compare would be the diameter of the end of the bullet against the primer pocket diameter.

And yes....
I would guess that with a rifle that 'recoils" more this is something to think about.
Andy

Why would a rifle recoil more? Heaver gun would recoil less. A 357 magnum load is a magnum load. Same for rifle as for a revolver.

I wonder just how often does this happen...?
Not saying that it can't or won't happen.

Just wondering if this is something that has been repeated for so long that it must be true.

And yes....
I would guess that with a rifle that 'recoils" more this is something to think about.
Andy
I have seen an example in .460 and 30-30. I will say I saw examples of the offending 30-30 and it was a sharp conical bullet shaped like typical military fmjs. The .460 S&W was reportedly conical as well, but I did not see the photo of the offending bullet. But I think it was in a BHA newsletter reminding owners to use appropriate projectiles after someone had a magazine detonation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top