JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This bullet is advertised as a round nose but looks more like a small flat nose with radiused edge.

Would you feel safe loading these up in 357 magnum lever action?

1709120362793.png

Depends on the gun. I've used a ton of 9mm, 147 grain Round Nose Flat Points (RNFP) in my M&P and Ruger handguns. However, they don't always feed well in my my 9mm PCC. Been getting mine from Xtreme Bullets and Acme.

Buy some and try them out. You can always sell the ones that you have left over if they don't work for you.

Depends on the gun. I've used a ton of 9mm, 147 grain Round Nose Flat Points (RNFP) in my M&P and Ruger handguns. However, they don't always feed well in my my 9mm PCC. Been getting mine from Xtreme Bullets and Acme.

Buy some and try them out. You can always sell the ones that you have left over if they don't work for you.
I was wondering about primer detonation in a tube magazine.

They are too small diameter for 357 Mag specs say .355-.356 and should be .357-358 for the magnum. You would want to use a crimp die that will imprint a crimp into the bullet to prevent bullet set back in the tube magazine. Hard to do with the undersized bullet. Also being undersized they might not be very accurate due to not engaging the rifling. If it were me I'd use them in 357 Sig or 38 Super. They won't leave much room for powder in 9mm.

I was wondering about primer detonation in a tube magazine.
I wonder just how often does this happen...?
Not saying that it can't or won't happen.

Just wondering if this is something that has been repeated for so long that it must be true.

And yes....
I would guess that with a rifle that 'recoils" more this is something to think about.
Andy

Just wondering if this is something that has been repeated for so long that it must be true.

And yes....
I would guess that with a rifle that 'recoils" more this is something to think about.
Andy
I guess there is only one way to find out. Load up a hundred and let the wife shoot them.

And yes....
Andy
I've not seen bullet set back in a tube magazine and can't run the experiment because I don't own any. I have however seen bullet jump locking up a revolver cylinder due to a light or improper crimp. So will surmise that bullets can move in/out of the case by outside forces.

And yes....
Andy
Just don't drop it straight on the buttplate from horseback.

This is what I run in my 30-30 and it looks close to what you have. I believe "pointy" ballistic tip, FMJ's and hollow points are the ones to watch out for.

IMG_20240228_065406690.jpg

I looked in my Sierra reloading manual and they didn't list any loads specific to use 357mag in a lever action. However, they do list 44mag loads using JSP, JHC, and FPJ Match bullets. Since they list full-patch-jacketed bullets for that cartridge, I would think using them in 357 would be OK too.

Last Edited:
They are too small diameter for 357 Mag specs say .355-.356 and should be .357-358 for the magnum.
Huh. Yes, this is a weird bullet. It's a weight category typically found in .38 / .357, yet it has no cannelure and is slightly undersized. No wonder it's being sold as a blem.

Probably would shoot okay in a .357, but I like a cannelure on mine for that purpose. Being only .001 or so off, probably gives enough seating tension but I'd want to be sure of that before I bought 500.

I agree that I wouldn't want to use it in 9mm Para. I loaded some 151 gr. one time, very careful to not use a hot charge.

Huh. Yes, this is a weird bullet. It's a weight category typically found in .38 / .357, yet it has no cannelure and is slightly undersized. No wonder it's being sold as a blem.

Probably would shoot okay in a .357, but I like a cannelure on mine for that purpose. Being only .001 or so off, probably gives enough seating tension but I'd want to be sure of that before I bought 500.

I agree that I wouldn't want to use it in 9mm Para. I loaded some 151 gr. one time, very careful to not use a hot charge.
Seems like a bullet that heavy in a 9 you'd be lobbing it to stay under pressure.

Tough call. Look at the shape of the anvil in the primer. The projectile nose plating would touch the center of the primer where the anvil is located. You could always load one round without powder to test it. I sure your wife will appreciate it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top