JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cleaning my Ruger 10/22 foe the first time and after putting back together there was a gap between the back of the receiver and the stock.

ZxJTtuk.jpg Sjkz8kt.jpg

I really don't remember it being that large. Is this normal? I tried working it in there to sit better and more flush but with no luck obviously.

Thanks guys

My 10-22 is a wood stocked version, but it's in pieces right now so it was easy to check. The rear of the action should butt up against the back of the inlet in the stock. Just because there is a gap at the top doesn't mean there is a gap all of the way down the back of the action. If somewhere below the surface of the stock the action is squarely butted up against the stock, all is well. If it's not, it could easily be rectified with a bit of bedding compound. But first I would call Ruger.

The 10/22 is an inexpensive rifle, so Ruger doesn't spend a lot of effort/time fitting them tight.

Also, plastic stocks are generally made so that the action/etc. can drop in without interference, so they are not fitted and have larger tolerances. As long as the action is secure (doesn't move around) then it is ok.

The Archangel takedown conversion stock I just fitted to one of my 10/22s was a much tighter fit than the wood stock, but it has gaps. The action fits tightly because there is a metal insert that it fits into, so the action if very secure. The barrel is clamped down with a lever you can adjust.

The two I have that are still wearing their factory stocks (1 synthetic and 1 wood) both have the same gap. I haven't had any accuracy or reliability problems with either of them. IMHO, I wouldn't invest a single ounce of worry over it...

The action screw goes through a fixed hole in the stock and into a fixed hole in the receiver. It is not possible for the "gap" spacing to change unless you were to alter either fixed hole. If you have it back together with the action screw in place and tight nothing has changed. Taking it apart and putting it back together would not change anything. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you can find a piece of Carbon Paper, you can remove the stock and place a strip(carbon side out) behind the receiver and put it back in place, completely, including screws. Make sure they're tight. Now, remove the receiver carefully from the stock and you should see carbon from the paper wherever the stock made contact. If the contact is all over then your good to go.

Whatever happens, enjoy your nice rifle.:):):)

If you can find a piece of Carbon Paper, you can remove the stock and place a strip(carbon side out) behind the receiver and put it back in place, completely, including screws. Make sure they're tight. Now, remove the receiver carefully from the stock and you should see carbon from the paper wherever the stock made contact. If the contact is all over then your good to go.

Whatever happens, enjoy your nice rifle.:):):)
I see my suggestion is being ignored(by most) again. It's old school and does work.:)

The rifle doesn't care as long as the action screw is tight, as was said above. It's not a $4000 glass bed job that relies on such for accuracy. It's just not! IMO on the 10/22 the stock is just a way to hold the receiver and barrel in your hands...

True in a lot of cases but looking for black carbon paper marks on a black plastic stock is not as easy as it is on a wood stock.
I agree but White Correction Tape will also work if used in the same manner. But, and it's a big one, it's so thin and must be used several times, unless you can apply several strips at the same time.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top