JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only thing that is going to erupt at my house is my contempt and disgust
at the news media who constantly publish these scare stories for the specific
purpose of gathering viewership.
I also don't have time for this. I'm still hiding under the bed from the last Ebola outbreak.

Virgin-Sacrifice.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Mount St. Helens, Mount Rainier classified as 'very high threat' for eruption

Got your kit(s) ready?

The U.S. Geological Survey is updating its volcano threat assessments for the first time since 2005 and two Washington volcanoes are ranked as high threats.

The danger list is topped by Hawaii's Kilauea, which has been erupting this year. The others in the top five are Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier in Washington, Alaska's Redoubt Volcano, and California's Mount Shasta.

Eleven of the 18 very high threat volcanoes are in Oregon, Washington, and California.

The new threat assessment 'is not a forecast or indication of which volcanoes are most likely to erupt next. Rather, it is an indicator of the potential severity of impacts that may result from future eruptions at any given volcano," according to the report.

Mount Adams: Ranking 34 - Threat level high.

Mount Baker: Ranking 14 - Threat level very high.

Glacier Peak: Ranking 15 - Threat level very high.

Mount Rainier: Ranking 3 - Threat level very high.

Mount St. Helens: Ranking 2 - Threat level very high.

Mt. Hood - Rank 6.

Download the report:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2018/5140/sir20185140.pdf
Where's the love for Mt. Hood?

When Mt St Helens blew last time, I was volunteering up at the VA Hospital in Rec therapy. One of the doctors had wandered by to see what I was doing once, and gifted me a box of surgical masks.

I think both my parents were up there working at the VA at the time, it's how they met. I'll have to ask them if they knew a guy in rec therapy. :) I still have my little cube of ash somewhere.

Mount St. Helens, Mount Rainier classified as 'very high threat' for eruption

Got your kit(s) ready?

The U.S. Geological Survey is updating its volcano threat assessments for the first time since 2005 and two Washington volcanoes are ranked as high threats.

The danger list is topped by Hawaii's Kilauea, which has been erupting this year. The others in the top five are Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier in Washington, Alaska's Redoubt Volcano, and California's Mount Shasta.

Eleven of the 18 very high threat volcanoes are in Oregon, Washington, and California.

The new threat assessment 'is not a forecast or indication of which volcanoes are most likely to erupt next. Rather, it is an indicator of the potential severity of impacts that may result from future eruptions at any given volcano," according to the report.

Mount Adams: Ranking 34 - Threat level high.

Mount Baker: Ranking 14 - Threat level very high.

Glacier Peak: Ranking 15 - Threat level very high.

Mount Rainier: Ranking 3 - Threat level very high.

Mount St. Helens: Ranking 2 - Threat level very high.

Mt. Hood - Rank 6.

Download the report:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2018/5140/sir20185140.pdf

All California transplants should run home for saftey asap

The bull run watershed has a sealable and ventilated tunnel that would be viable defense against most volcanic gases and radiation.
The larch mtn area of the Mt hood national Forest is full of man made secrets. Most were created shortly after the st Helen's eruption in 1980.
Most condo buildings along the Willamette waterfront have submarine doors in their parking garages to protect the equipment from flooding in these scenarios as well as recycled air pumps and filters in case the outside air is unusable
Intetesting description of those condos. I've done the air and water balancing in most all of them since 2002-ish and have not seen anything like that.

Intetesting description of those condos. I've done the air and water balancing in most all of them since 2002-ish and have not seen anything like that.
I have apparently misspoken. The ones I have had experience as on site maintenance have. The Strand condominiums at the very least had the submarine doors, as its parking garage sits below the water table. while the HVAC stuff wasn't part of my workload, thats what the superintendent I worked under at the time told me. Like I said on another post earlier, I do not claim to be infallible.
I am curious about how to know more about how the air and water balancing works, however, and am considering returning to school in that realm.
One of my favorite things about that building is by far it's biggest weakness, and that's that all three of the towers are connected by the garage, and since it sits so far below the water table, there are pumps running constantly to keep it from flooding.

Good call Dane! But remember to change out the filters. They don't last forever and lose effectiveness. You need to buy brand new replacements and leave them packaged in the original package.

When Mt St Helens blew last time, I was volunteering up at the VA Hospital in Rec therapy. One of the doctors had wandered by to see what I was doing once, and gifted me a box of surgical masks. I used 1 per every couple of weeks, then the day after Helens blew I went up there and poof, they were all gone. The point is, I now have a case of Niosh p95 filter masks in my basement. I use an occasional one for sawing or drilling concrete, wood or rock which I do all the time, but I have extras for the next big event.

And then I also have the Israeli gas masks....and I bought enough for all the children on the block back in the 90's. Which has made for some uncomfortable moments. For example, everyone on the block is a friend. At one get together, one of them commented on my being somewhat prepared, and my wife nearly spit her drink out. "S*it", she notes: "we've got a basement full of gas masks". The neighbor was shocked, so I told her the story I'd heard less in person than a block from my home.

There was a small group of bronzed skinned dark-haired middle-eastern
looking men, @10 or so, playing with a soccer ball, messing around. I did
not know their country of origon, and the language was not familiar to me. I
crowded closer, interested. Paying closer attention, I would have guessed
they were Turks, but I knew they were not. Perhaps Aremenians? I thought
not, but had never been to Armenia and was not positive.

I spotted a younger white American chick with the group so as is my personal
custom, I went right up and asked. "Hi, I'm curious, where are these guys
from?".

"They are Kurds", she replies, "from Iraq".

Hmmm, we'd just been overthere in 1991 fighting a war. "Why are they here in
the US", I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"They had worked for the US government", she said, "and if they stayed there
their lives would be at risk. As it is, they are afraid that their families
over there may be suffering now for their choices."

"CIA?", I bluntly suggested.

"I can't say, I'm sort of a liaison to help them around over here", she
reply's.

I figure CIA for sure.

I'm standing there checking them out, being ignored by the dudes, when she
says: " Yeah, some of them have had it pretty tough"............see that guy
over there", she nods her head in the direction of an older 40 year old
fella somberly standing off to the side and not participating in the game.
"He was in his village when an Iraqi government plane flew over..........
dumping poisonous gas down......, almost everybody in his village was
killed: .... including all of his family and friends,.......... he and a
very few others in the village had gas masks ........... and they survived".

"Jesus Christ" I quietly whistled through my teeth, thinking I couldn't
imagine what it would be like to see all of my loved ones gassed to death
right in front of me, and to survive with that memory.

We were done talking. I watched and marveled in sadness for a few minutes,
wondering what other horrors these guys had witnessed, then walked away
silently, carrying that memory to this day.

So I told my neighbor that story and followed it up by adding that I had bought gas masks for me and my family, plus enough for all of the children on the block. She sort of tossed it off...but I didn't let it go, I wanted her to think about it. I stepped in closer towards her and locked her eyes. "I bought one for MXXXXX(her son) I said, so in the event of poison gas, a nuclear explosion or even an industrial accident, I have a gas mask for your son, and I'll do my best to help him out so he survives, but I don''t have one for your or for Mike (her husband)" There was silence....which I let go for a bit.

I said: " I'm sorry", and walked off.
You ever consider writing a book?

I am curious about how to know more about how the air and water balancing works, however, and am considering returning to school in that realm.
It is not easy to get any legit TAB education other than getting on with a reputable TAB firm like Neudorfer Engineers or Northwest Engineers and (1) learning via hands on, and (2) becoming --> NEBB <--certified. Another option is getting on with SheetMetal Workers Local-16 and applying for their TAB program, however, last I heard they were not offering the program, but that was a while back.

It almost seems that the reports have become alarmist if not hysterical and may indeed be intended only to generate (or assure) a full funding package for the USGS.

Observing I-5 traffic in Seattle under normal conditions, any evacuation is doomed. If a flat tire brings six lanes to a halt, a 100-mile wide mushroom cloud in the rear view mirror will only increase the need for Pampers.

"An interesting game. The only way to win is not to play."--WOPR, WarGames

Which means you need to be outside the I-405 beltway and up on the High Ground before the party-invitations get mailed. Depending which direction Rainier goes, pretty much everything everything in the Auburn Valley all the way up to Duwamish and the Puyallup River Valley all the way to Tacoma Tideflats (north face) or the Nisqually River area out to the Delta (southern and westernmost JBLM, IIRC) are toast in mudflows. If the north face catastrophically fails like St. Helens, which IIRC is very likely because of the weak and cracked rock (IIRC andesite, I think this was discussed in Roadside Geology of Washington) it's gonna make May 18, 1980 look like a fart.

One of my earliest memories was seeing Mount St. Helens burn while standing on the back porch of my late (God rest his soul) uncle's house just outside of Portlandia. It was very impressive to a toddler type person, so I'm sure that is why this memory has stayed.

Flash forward decades later, yah, we're ready. Most of the family is out of the area, but we have a few closer. (Parenthetically, my uncle left this world only a few years later at the tender age of 29. No one is guaranteed anything on this crazy planet. One has to live life to the fullest right now. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. And, on that note, I wish you all the best, and hope you stay safe.)

I have a stock pile of Isreali gas masks. 8 total. I have had 3 for quite a while and found the other 5 on Craigslist for free.

what do you use them for? with NO current filters teets on a boar.
If you dont have a mask that used the 40mm standard cartridges, you might as well use a sock.

Besides any good NBC officer knows that masks will not work in the air is so dense with ash, they clog. Go read how much fun the WA NG had with St Helens one.
All our birds were grounded, and trucks were used, each carrying sereral air filters with them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top