JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mount St. Helens, Mount Rainier classified as 'very high threat' for eruption

Got your kit(s) ready?

The U.S. Geological Survey is updating its volcano threat assessments for the first time since 2005 and two Washington volcanoes are ranked as high threats.

The danger list is topped by Hawaii's Kilauea, which has been erupting this year. The others in the top five are Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier in Washington, Alaska's Redoubt Volcano, and California's Mount Shasta.

Eleven of the 18 very high threat volcanoes are in Oregon, Washington, and California.

The new threat assessment 'is not a forecast or indication of which volcanoes are most likely to erupt next. Rather, it is an indicator of the potential severity of impacts that may result from future eruptions at any given volcano," according to the report.

Mount Adams: Ranking 34 - Threat level high.

Mount Baker: Ranking 14 - Threat level very high.

Glacier Peak: Ranking 15 - Threat level very high.

Mount Rainier: Ranking 3 - Threat level very high.

Mount St. Helens: Ranking 2 - Threat level very high.

Mt. Hood - Rank 6.

Download the report:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2018/5140/sir20185140.pdf

Part of the reason so few seem "ready" when something happens. This constant "the sky is falling". After enough of it many just tune it out. The same type who think 911 will run in and rescue them of course also think FEMA is going to show up the day of a disaster with everything they need. <shrug>

upload_2018-10-26_11-57-53.png

Years ago when I was young and a bunch of us climbed Kerby Peak East of Selma Oregon, (SW OR USA) could we see Mt. Shasta from the top? Do not remember. I do remember talking with the other hikers what would happen if Mr. Shasta blew up. Toast for us in the Illinois Valley SW OR USA unless the volcano blew straight up and everything went East. We are under 70 miles away kinda due North. Yikes! :(

The bull run watershed has a sealable and ventilated tunnel that would be viable defense against most volcanic gases and radiation.
The larch mtn area of the Mt hood national Forest is full of man made secrets. Most were created shortly after the st Helen's eruption in 1980.
Most condo buildings along the Willamette waterfront have submarine doors in their parking garages to protect the equipment from flooding in these scenarios as well as recycled air pumps and filters in case the outside air is unusable.
People over 50 or those like myself whose parents were adults during the last msh eruption are likely to have thought ahead.

The Californian transplants are going to be bummed.

Good call Dane! But remember to change out the filters. They don't last forever and lose effectiveness. You need to buy brand new replacements and leave them packaged in the original package.

I have a stock pile of Isreali gas masks. 8 total. I have had 3 for quite a while and found the other 5 on Craigslist for free.

When Mt St Helens blew last time, I was volunteering up at the VA Hospital in Rec therapy. One of the doctors had wandered by to see what I was doing once, and gifted me a box of surgical masks. I used 1 per every couple of weeks, then the day after Helens blew I went up there and poof, they were all gone. The point is, I now have a case of Niosh p95 filter masks in my basement. I use an occasional one for sawing or drilling concrete, wood or rock which I do all the time, but I have extras for the next big event.

And then I also have the Israeli gas masks....and I bought enough for all the children on the block back in the 90's. Which has made for some uncomfortable moments. For example, everyone on the block is a friend. At one get together, one of them commented on my being somewhat prepared, and my wife nearly spit her drink out. "S*it", she notes: "we've got a basement full of gas masks". The neighbor was shocked, so I told her the story I'd heard less in person than a block from my home.

There was a small group of bronzed skinned dark-haired middle-eastern
looking men, @10 or so, playing with a soccer ball, messing around. I did
not know their country of origon, and the language was not familiar to me. I
crowded closer, interested. Paying closer attention, I would have guessed
they were Turks, but I knew they were not. Perhaps Aremenians? I thought
not, but had never been to Armenia and was not positive.

I spotted a younger white American chick with the group so as is my personal
custom, I went right up and asked. "Hi, I'm curious, where are these guys
from?".

"They are Kurds", she replies, "from Iraq".

Hmmm, we'd just been overthere in 1991 fighting a war. "Why are they here in
the US", I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"They had worked for the US government", she said, "and if they stayed there
their lives would be at risk. As it is, they are afraid that their families
over there may be suffering now for their choices."

"CIA?", I bluntly suggested.

"I can't say, I'm sort of a liaison to help them around over here", she
reply's.

I figure CIA for sure.

I'm standing there checking them out, being ignored by the dudes, when she
says: " Yeah, some of them have had it pretty tough"............see that guy
over there", she nods her head in the direction of an older 40 year old
fella somberly standing off to the side and not participating in the game.
"He was in his village when an Iraqi government plane flew over..........
dumping poisonous gas down......, almost everybody in his village was
killed: .... including all of his family and friends,.......... he and a
very few others in the village had gas masks ........... and they survived".

"Jesus Christ" I quietly whistled through my teeth, thinking I couldn't
imagine what it would be like to see all of my loved ones gassed to death
right in front of me, and to survive with that memory.

We were done talking. I watched and marveled in sadness for a few minutes,
wondering what other horrors these guys had witnessed, then walked away
silently, carrying that memory to this day.

So I told my neighbor that story and followed it up by adding that I had bought gas masks for me and my family, plus enough for all of the children on the block. She sort of tossed it off...but I didn't let it go, I wanted her to think about it. I stepped in closer towards her and locked her eyes. "I bought one for MXXXXX(her son) I said, so in the event of poison gas, a nuclear explosion or even an industrial accident, I have a gas mask for your son, and I'll do my best to help him out so he survives, but I don''t have one for your or for Mike (her husband)" There was silence....which I let go for a bit.

I said: " I'm sorry", and walked off.

Last Edited:
Usually allowed for the exceptions who lied.

Based on how the LEFT voted (against the Kavanaugh appointment). Well....according to them, NO woman would ever lie.:eek:

Not to mention that.....the LEFT also believes that the burden of proof is NOW for the defendant to prove that he is innocent.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews