JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of picking up some Winchester hollow points in 45 auto. I have the option of getting the +p version for the same price. Is there going to be a significant kick with the +p? Any thoughts or help appreciated, thank you.

+P load will have a noticeable amount of extra snap... how much, depends on what you're shooting them out of. A 5" 1911, won't be too bad, whereas a snubby little sub compact gun, might feel a little violent. However if you have good muzzle control when firing, they're manageable out of anything.

A couple things to consider when shopping for self defense ammo- +P rounds are of a higher pressure than standard loads, and although most modern handguns are rated for +P, they do put more wear and tear on the gun. Somewhat of a moot point, as you're propably not planning on shooting them much more than to become comfortable with them, then carry them.

Secondly, and this is the big reason for me not using +P ammo.... I like to practice double taps, and good control and accuracy while firing rounds in close succession. You can do this all day long with ball ammo, but if you carried a load with considerably more kick, the game changes if you ever had to use the gun.

Balistically, +P loads are going to hit with more energy than standard pressure loads. I believe that +P can be of a good advantage when you're dealing with a smaller, tame caliber, such as 9mm. But if its .45, I would stick with a stardard load, and master it consistently.

just my 2 cents.

BTW, what are you shooting it out of?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews