JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So basically, I have an opportunity to buy a large lot of SMM .380 from a friend of a friend for what seems like a great price... But the catch is I have never heard of this brand before.

I did a precursory google search and got a little info but they dont have a large web presence. Red flag? I dunno. Its hard to know these days if product reviews are legit or bought. I figured it would be better to get opinions from the trusted people on this forum who actually have experience with it. I saw that theyre zinc plated cases and im not sure how I feel about that. Ive never had problems with other platings but have never dealt with zinc before, do I have to worry about deformities or shavings in the magazine?

Thanks in advance!

It's zinc plated steel case made by Tula Ammo, so it's Russian made. It runs but if you have a gun that doesn't like steel case than you'll might have issues, it burns on the dirtier side from what I've seen.

Thanks for the info everybody, I had no idea it was just Tula rebranded. I wonder why foreign ammo companies repack their ammo under different names? Anyways i'll give it a shot if I can haggle the price a bit, I have nothing against Tula and now I know what im getting myself into.

This was Tula ammo from Russia. It was Renamed because Russian ammo is under sanctions. The company re- named its distribution company and found other countries to use as distribution centers. It was a way to circumvent sanctions and public opinion. I wouldn't use it not for political purposes but rather my PPKS is finicky and I find only 380 brass rounds work.

This was Tula ammo from Russia. It was Renamed because Russian ammo is under sanctions. The company re- named its distribution company and found other countries to use as distribution centers. It was a way to circumvent sanctions and public opinion. I wouldn't use it not for political purposes but rather my PPKS is finicky and I find only 380 brass rounds work.
Sergeant Major came about before the Russian ammo import ban. It's actually not half bad and indoor range friendly (for the most part). I bought a ton of it in 2020.

The Sergeant Major " brand" may have existed before any Russian ammo ban was put into place but nevertheless it is still Russian ammunition.
This statement is taken directly from the company website:

"Sergeant Major Munition, manufactured by TulAmmo, utilizes current manufacturing capabilities to create a unique, cleaner-burning, and range safe product. Damage to ranges and chances of outdoor fires are greatly reduced with Sergeant Major's bi-metallic, and brass jacketed bullets. Ask for Sergeant Major Munition by TulAmmo next time you are at the range." https://sergeantmajormunition.com/products

The box (picture attached) specifically states that the product is made by the Tula Cartridge Works.
TulAmmo is made in Russia and used by Russian military and law enforcement for training purposes. It is manufactured by Tula Cartridge Works which is located in the Russian city of Tula, about 100 miles south of Moscow.

73E2869C-8036-4BCB-A8EF-76529E95EAEE.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads