JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today work got cancelled due to the ice. I spent the morning with a chainsaw clearing roads for the neighborhood. By 2PM the weather had warmed up, the neighborhood roads were clear and my house still didn't have power. So I decided to take my brand new Uberti 1873 rifle out for the first time.

(before)
922D6EA6-3219-4905-8859-F970FF8BAD85.jpeg
(after)
7AF0DFCF-B875-4F44-9BF4-E66A95B326BE.jpeg

I took a gamble that Gooseneck Rd was open, thinking I may encounter a tree or two that I'd need to move.... but I was surprised to get turned around halfway up Hwy 22 as the entire highway was closed.

I then decided to bite the bullet and pay Tritac's range fees (I really want to shoot my rifle!).... but Tritac was closed.

Oh well. Better luck next time.
Stay warm, my friends.
88BEACF7-19F4-4EA2-9E73-FF052A38686A.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ice is the worst. Sorry to hear it screwed up your day, but congrats on that rifle. It's a beaut and I'm jealous!

I got 9.5" of snow at my house. Took the dog to the woods and had a great time

Today worked got cancelled due to the ice. I spent the morning with a chainsaw clearing roads for the neighborhood. By 2PM the weather had warmed up, the neighborhood roads were clear and my house still didn't have power. So I decided to take my brand new Uberti 1873 rifle out for the first time.

(before)
View attachment 826171
(after)
View attachment 826172

I took a gamble that Gooseneck Rd was open, thinking I may encounter a tree or two that I'd need to move.... but I was surprised to get turned around halfway up Hwy 22 as the entire highway was closed.

I then decided to bite the bullet and pay Tritac's range fees (I really want to shoot my rifle!).... but Tritac was closed.

Oh well. Better luck next time.
Stay warm, my friends.
View attachment 826173
Nice job clearing the road! That was a lot of work! Did any of the neighbors offer to help or was it a "Me, Myself and I" kind of job?

Here in Vancouver.....
I woke up to NO POWER. After the electric power was restored and after some hot coffee. I got to work shoveling snow off of the sidewalk. Once that was done, it was more work with repairs. Yeah, the doors off of my old garden shed had blown off during the night. So, blue tarp and a few 1" x 2" scraps and it's all covered now.

Lord it's cold and the snow is deep.
Left me no time for re-loading.:s0092:

Aloha, Mark

Here in Vancouver.....
I woke up to NO POWER. After the electric power was restored and after some hot coffee. I got to work shoveling snow off of the sidewalk. Once that was done, it was more work with repairs. Yeah, the doors off of my old garden shed had blown off during the night. So, blue tarp and a few 1" x 2" scraps and it's all covered now.

Lord it's cold and the snow is deep.
Left me no time for re-loading.:s0092:

Aloha, Mark
All that shoveling and fresh air is good for you!

Well, I had thoughts today about how it might be to try and go out to shoot. But only in the way of how difficult and uncomfortable it would be. Not as to actually attempting it.

One of my thoughts was about how it would work for the SHTF preppers who opine that they are ready for anything. Seems like this weather would make any of those efforts a real struggle. You'd have a hard time getting out of town, for one thing. Maybe this kind of weather would discourage the cause(s) of any SHTF situation. The SHTF situations should save themselves for when there isn't a cold snap with snow.

I've also been thinking about the many homeless who've flocked to the Seattle area from other parts of the country. In better weather. And those who are living under blue tarps in the woods. Must be a rugged style of living. I see in yesterday's newspaper that there are warming shelters set up here and there for the homeless.

Last year was our turn for the power outage during a snow event. An idiot down the road had excavated most of the earth away from the base of a utility pole to level his land. Once the lines (yes, including and especially all those internet and cable TV lines that have been added over the years) got weighed down with snow, over the pole went. I forget how long we were out of power but I was starting to get concerned about the plumbing before it came back on again.

All that shoveling and fresh air is good for you!

Maybe. But you could just as well slip and break something. We're stocked up here; I don't have any need of going out for anything. Both of our cars that are outside have a foot of snow on them. I told Mrs. Merkt that we're only in trouble if one of us has to go to the ER. Fortunately, the weather here on the Sound turns around fairly quickly.

Maybe. But you could just as well slip and break something. We're stocked up here; I don't have any need of going out for anything. Both of our cars that are outside have a foot of snow on them. I told Mrs. Merkt that we're only in trouble if one of us has to go to the ER. Fortunately, the weather here on the Sound turns around fairly quickly.
Could be a movie night with the Mrs. Hopefully not a Hallmark Christmas movie!

No luck drinking. :) I walked down to my local pub last night to celebrate Impeachment Boogaloo Failure Number Two but they were closed. Glad I wore the long johns. Didn't shoot anything.
Glad to know that. Funny how they are still hounding him with BS.
Democrats have a short memory. When the Clintons left the WH, they had a "go fund me" (whatever you would have called it back then) to raise capital for their legal debts, for what many consider criminal activity and legitimately classified as such.

The gods apparently heard me mocking PDX snow as compared to the mid-west. So they sent an ice storm. Took down a big part of my favorite neighbor's huge oak tree onto their roof. :mad: Luck or miracle the way it feel it didn't puncture the roof though his <2 year old gutters are in bad shape. We lost a small tree. Spent 6+ hours w/ chainsaw and saws cleaning it up, and there's still the major portion that'll need a professional to come out and clear.

Then the power went out... OK, I give! I'll never mock PNW weather again!

But power's back on! And it appears to be melting. Huzzah!

The gods apparently heard me mocking PDX snow as compared to the mid-west. So they sent an ice storm. Took down a big part of my favorite neighbor's huge oak tree onto their roof. :mad: Luck or miracle the way it feel it didn't puncture the roof though his <2 year old gutters are in bad shape. We lost a small tree. Spent 6+ hours w/ chainsaw and saws cleaning it up, and there's still the major portion that'll need a professional to come out and clear.

Then the power went out... OK, I give! I'll never mock PNW weather again!

But power's back on! And it appears to be melting. Huzzah!
It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=qWMyWr9_CVo

:)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top