JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched around, there are a lot of old posts here circa 2010/13 about this. Whats everyone using for Night Vision? Any suggestions in the 5-800 dollar range for either a scope set up or bino / monocular etc?

Just curious because I am in the market but don't have a clue who the "non 8k dollar guys are" that are worth buying.

You won't get a lot for your stated budget.

For NVG's gen.3 is a better buy, but thermal imaging is the shiz.

Watch this MAC video on hog hunting, they get into NVG and thermal pros/cons, and mention/show a few different makes/models. (No mention of cost though)

You'll hear "OPMOD" mentioned, that's referring to "Optics Planet Model" made by Armasight. I have an OPMOD gen.1 NVG scope for my rifle, it's OK but not stellar. It was under $400 IIRC.

Just returned today from a hog hunt in Texas. For hogs, where we where, the only way to get the critters was well after dark. Personally, I was using a used PVS14 I found on craigslist. Pretty tough to beat, and a bit more than your stated price, but worth every single penny. I've played with Russian Gen3 which doesn't come remotely close. A $40 IR illuminator will go a long ways in assisting your vision at night on the less capable units. With the PVS, you won't need one. In fact, adding a high power IR makes it harder to define hog from cougar. Everyone who has peeked into a PVS14 vs anything else they have experienced is simply stunned at the difference. You can find a used PVS14 for around $1400. You won't regret it.

You won't get a lot for your stated budget.

For NVG's gen.3 is a better buy, but thermal imaging is the shiz.

Watch this MAC video on hog hunting, they get into NVG and thermal pros/cons, and mention/show a few different makes/models. (No mention of cost though)

You'll hear "OPMOD" mentioned, that's referring to "Optics Planet Model" made by Armasight. I have an OPMOD gen.1 NVG scope for my rifle, it's OK but not stellar. It was under $400 IIRC.

Good basic info, Still need more.

Would love to have a thermal sight. Have seen handheld and mounted sights on Ebay for pretty nice prices. Even just a handheld would be nice. Beyond the tactical thing, it would be a fun toy.

I have a $300 G1 night scope on a .22lr that actually works very well for being inexpensive.

My friend has a FLIR T321C that mounts to a 1913 rail, it is quite compact for a FLIR unit can be hooked to a lap-top. There are now copy-cat units that look identical w/lower quality internals. The price of newer units seems to be dropping every few years

Gen 3 NV, plus IR laser (dbal). FLIR is great for identifying but you can't use lasers with it. You can find used Gen 3 units for 2600ish, used Gen 2 for $1500-2000. Difference being tube life (roughly 2500hrs vs 10000hrs) and image clarity. Still need some way to aim unless you are going to mount behind a red dot. And if your red dot isn't NV compatible you will burn in a spot on your NV lense. Helmet mounted NV with rifle mounted IR is the best setup. In a pinch you can use helmet mounted NV with an Acog, or red dot but it's not ideal. And if you can afford FLIR for identifying targets that would be excellent, but it's really not needed. Unless of course you do it for a living.

Take a look at the Sightmark photon xt on Amazon. Read the reviews, and decide if that will work for you, it appears most people say it's good out to 100 yards, which should bee good enough for picking off the occasional opossum raiding the chicken pen:) and it's just under $500

Take a look at the Sightmark photon xt on Amazon. Read the reviews, and decide if that will work for you, it appears most people say it's good out to 100 yards, which should bee good enough for picking off the occasional opossum raiding the chicken pen:) and it's just under $500

I'm actually thinking that this might work perfect on my JLD PTR-91...put a flood IR flashlight on it and BOOM!

Now....how to justify the purchase for the wifey...

o_O

Remember Oregon prohibits hunting with night vision sights. It also prohibits lasers and IR beams.

No person shall:
* Hunt any wildlife with infrared or any other night vision sight.
* Use an artificial light for hunting any wildlife, except raccoon, bobcat and opossum provided the light is not cast from or attached to a motor vehicle. This includes laser sights or any other sights which project a beam to the target. This does not include battery operated sights which only light the reticle.

For beams, note an exception was added for spotlighting on private land in 2005:

* Neither landowners nor their agents need a permit from ODFW to spotlight predatory animals (as defined in ORS 610.002) on land they own or lawfully occupy. ODA has authority to define "agent" for purposes of the predatory animal statute. Written documentation is
not required. (Predatory Animals means coyotes, rabbits, rodents and feral swine which are or may be destructive to agricultural crops.)

Of course, it's not clear if "sight" means an optic attached to a gun, or any optic. Most general definition of sight I could find was "optical instrument used for assisting a person's precise aim or observation". So my interpretation is a Flir Scout is not a "sight" unless you mount it to another tool, such as a gun, rangefinder, or compass.

Last Edited:
Last Edited:
I like thermal because it's so much easier to pick-out the SJWs due to the diminished blood supply to the brain, the head just barely shows-up compared to a normal person

I just eat a bubblegum ton of carrots.

Done.
th?id=OIP.M796102086fe6b9c84b0e61e77ff1a930o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=328&h=155.jpg
I donna wanna know about your Furry obsession, keep it in the bedroom and everyone is Koolo_O :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top