JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get in the night vision and I know nothing about anything! I'm looking to get a decent pair for around 3 to 5, 000, would prefer dual tube! Some leads and advice given would be amazing!

TNVC is a great company to deal with and very reputable. They also produce a lot of content to give out information you may find helpful. I'm not affiliated with them but have had good experiences with them. Good luck.

TNVC is a great company to deal with and very reputable. They also produce a lot of content to give out information you may find helpful. I'm not affiliated with them but have had good experiences with them. Good luck.
Call their sales line on the phone. You'll get to talk to someone that actually knows and uses night vision

Night vision is fun. Night vision is expensive. Night vision set ups require more just than the unit itself, but a mount and a helmet (whether ballistic or bump) to use unless you plan to just hold it with your hand the entire time as a observation tool. Then if you want to be able to shoot with it you can use it passively through a red dot that has a NV setting (not that effective) or actively with an IR designator / illuminator. Those lasers work both way though for anyone who also has night vision. - they are also more money. A DBAL A3 is about $1300 for example.

With your budget you are looking at a PVS14 with a bump helmet and budget mount like. Rhino mount with a J-arm. I found the rhino mount with a J-arm to wiggle way more than I wanted. A dovetail mounting surface and a higher quality mount / adapter was well worth the money for me.

Gen 3 white phosphor is the way to go (in my opinion) and dual tube compared to single tube is (you could expect this) about twice the price or more.

I'm pretty new to NV, but did pony up for a dual tube. In retrospect, I think I should've just got a pvs14 white phosphor, and spent the extra money on ammo and other stuff.

Get something that can be serviced ( think US company)
Nothings sadder than dropping a few thousand bucks on something that cannot be repaired when it stops working

Unfortunately you will not really get into new duals for 3-5k let alone good ones. A solid new PVS 14 from a reputable seller will cost 2500-3500 for low to mid range stuff IE photonis echo gen 2 + or Elbit gen 3 and for top of the line stuff IE L3 filmless your looking at 3700-4500$ for one. Do not buy from companies like ATN or off brands with "just as good housings" the lenses are terrible and are usually very spotty quality with questionable tubes. Reputable sellers like TNVC, Gooningear, Steele industries, and USNV have good warranties on their products and will actually build them well and the good ones will provide you with full spec sheets. You will also want to look at the spec on the tubes if you can prior to purchase and be able to understand what they mean https://www.nite-walker.com/post/2019/11/21/specs-for-dummies-101. This is a great resource for understanding what each spec means and what to look for. I would not buy from Ebay as there are too many bubblegumty salty tubes that have been abused on there. You also have to keep in mind you will need to buy a helmet mount and potentially a Jarm as well as an IR laser and NV compatible optic which not counting the optic will total around 1500-2k depending on how you go about it so make sure to add that into your budget. I would take a hard look at what your doing and whether or not you really need duals. another thing to keep in mind is you can always buy a single tube IE a PVS 14 now and later down the line either sell to recoup cost or buy a 2nd one and bridge them.

I'm pretty new to NV, but did pony up for a dual tube. In retrospect, I think I should've just got a pvs14 white phosphor, and spent the extra money on ammo and other stuff.
DTNVS. I mean, they are awesome and I won't be getting rid of them. But knowing what I know now, I would have been 90% as happy with a good single tube.
One of these days I'll pick up a set of duals, but I am glad I went with my PVS-14 to start. My theory is it will easier to transition from a single to a double than the other way around and there are certain advantages and capabilities a PVS-14 offer over duals.

for top of the line stuff IE L3 filmless your looking at 3700-4500$ for one.
...and up, start getting into 2400+ FOM with solid well rounded specs you can add another grand to that.

You will also want to look at the spec on the tubes if you can prior to purchase and be able to understand what they mean https://www.nite-walker.com/post/2019/11/21/specs-for-dummies-101. This is a great resource for understanding what each spec means and what to look for.
Absolutely, learn what the numbers mean and how they are applied...most folk will just look for a FOM monster but I'd give up a some FOM for better (lower) EBI and HALO numbers.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews