JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I second the reloading book. The main way I learned was I watched YouTube videos and essentially became obsessed with guns. My dad also had a good childhood friend who let us come up and shoot his guns. That helped a lot. I also have 2 uncles and an aunt who hunt a lot and they all helped me out.

Hey all, I'm super interested in learning all that I can about guns, ammo, etc but sometimes in the midst of trying to learn I end up more confused. I want to learn more, but also am afraid of asking certain questions for fear of sounding like an idiot!:p

Could we work on a "living" thread that attempts to give quick & dirty answers to commonly used acronyms and caliber references?

One thing I would be particularly interested in knowing is a GENERAL ranking of ammunition sizes...I know that stopping power can vary greatly between the same "calibers" of ammunition depending on specifics...but just sort of a general list would be great.

I'll start...and please feel free to correct me (as I'm sure that I'm wrong at least 40% of the time...)

starting small to big:
.17 (rifle)
.22 (rifle or pistol)
.223/5.56mm (rifle)
.30/7.62 mm (rifle?...I could use some help here....this is a big topic I know)
.38 special (pistol)
.380/9mm (pistol)
.40 (Pistol)
.44 (pistol)
.45 (pistol)
.50 (pistol)
20 gage (shotgun)
12 gage (shotgun)

I know this list is farm from perfect.

I could really use some guidance in understanding where a .357 magnum and a .44 magnum fit in there. and what does it mean to be magnum anyways?

and some terms that confuse me are:
SKS (soviet assault rifle?)
1911?
ACP?
lots more I'm forgetting I'm sure...
No matter how much you think you know someone else probley knows more don't be afraid to ask ? That's how we all learn

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews